FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Is forum activity decreasing?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Is forum activity decreasing?
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-03-01 07:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-28 16:55, tikiskip wrote:

"There would be no book of Tiki if not for the old photos and postcards ect, and heck they almost never make a postcard these days."

etc. not ect ---- (pet peeve) contraction of etcetera----THE SPELLING POLICE

"going to far "

TOO far----you left off an O------THE SPELLING POLICE

You left off some commas and some other things could be fixed, but that's for the GRAMMAR POLICE.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2018-03-01 07:49 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2018-03-01 07:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-01 07:20, tikitube wrote:

The *only* thing I'd still like to see (unless it exists and I missed it) is a better way to follow which threads I have replied to,

Go to your user profile and click on VIEW POSTS BY USER.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-03-01 08:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-01 07:53, GROG wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-03-01 07:20, tikitube wrote:

The *only* thing I'd still like to see (unless it exists and I missed it) is a better way to follow which threads I have replied to,

Go to your user profile and click on VIEW POSTS BY USER.

Thanks so much!! I KNEW I had to be missing it somewhere.

-Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-01 09:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-28 16:55, tikiskip wrote:

People need to think now about 50 years from now and leave hard copy tiki stuff for the next wave (if there is one) of tiki to find.

Tiki central may not be here.

Yes, so 50 years from now a new generation can find cheap tiki items in thrift stores.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-01 10:34 am   Permalink

"etc. not ect"

Ha!
I do that one a lot.

Do you have that Grammarly app?
Always imagined your parents being teachers that beat you when you did bad grammar/ spelling.

"Yes, so 50 years from now a new generation can find cheap tiki items in thrift stores."

Not what I was talking about.
If you have a bar Commercial or home document that in hard copy, if you are not one of the people who have connections with the few that do document tiki these days your efforts will die with you.

If you make tiki art/carve document that, as the art may live, but the methods or info on what you did will die as well.

Would be nice to find this was done for Barney West.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it's what we do here.

I feel oddly intimidated posting by the spelling and grammar police now.

Glad we have moved on from the flame wars of the old days and advanced to passive aggressive.

Heil Webster!

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-03-01 11:51 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-03-01 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-01 10:34, tikiskip wrote:

Heil Webster!

Damn tiki torch Nazis.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-01 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-01 10:34, tikiskip wrote:

Glad we have moved on from the flame wars of the old days and advanced to passive aggressive.

HA!!

I've been devouring info from this board since about 2005 / 2006 or so. I didn't sign up until a few years ago because of all of the flame war nonsense that seemed to just go on FOREVER. To be honest, I may never have if it wasn't for my appreciation of Dustycajun's continuous efforts to post stuff on the board and, in particular, Skip's lament that more people weren't contributing. I figured it was time to give something back and get off my arse and post.

Also, you should keep in mind that tiki groups on Fakebook tend to have a lot of the same members. In addition, there are TC / ex-TC members who take great pains to disparage this site when they get a chance. When your negative comments are hitting that size of an audience, over time it's going to have an impact, regardless of veracity.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-01 11:45 am   Permalink

The spelling and grammar police might be funny to some or a real concern, but doing a quick search of spelling police, And grammar police I found at least four people that Came onto TC got hit up by the spelling and grammar police and never came back.

Is forum activity decreasing?
Yes and I think the spelling and grammar police might be part of the cause.

Didn't even give any answer to the topic.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-01 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If you have a bar Commercial or home document that in hard copy, if you are not one of the people who have connections with the few that do document tiki these days your efforts will die with you.

If you make tiki art/carve document that, as the art may live, but the methods or info on what you did will die as well.

You know, there's a self-publishing platform, Blurb, that I've worked with in the past. Here's a link to the photo book I published with them, just for context:
Ghosts of the Chicken Ranch. The books are on the pricey side, simply because they're print-on-demand and full-color printing ain't cheap. That aside, there are quite a few different formats and sizes available that can control costs if that's an issue. Given decent, high-resolution photographs, there's no reason anyone here couldn't put together a nice tome dedicated to a particular home bar in short order. Even a fairly lavish book would still cost less than a lot of tiki mugs I've seen.

The best thing about Blurb is that there are no up-front costs. The author's required to order a proof before the finished product can be offered for sale to the general public, but that's a far cry from vanity presses that demand thousands up front. I'd not considered this as a way of preserving the memory of home bars before, but Skip's always thinking a few steps ahead of the rest of us.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-01 1:42 pm   Permalink

Found one on Blurb of interest to the crowd here: The Hula of Pele Tiki Hartman
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-01 2:44 pm   Permalink

You can save some bucks -- Blurb has a 35% off code at the top of the screen good through 3/5/2018. Code is "YUMMY35"

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-01 10:03 pm   Permalink

NEVER pay full price for a book from Blurb. They always have a coupon of some type active, and using coupons doesn't affect the author's take.

I didn't mention it before, but the quality of the Blurb books is quite good. Lulu is another well regarded self publishing platform, but it is geared more toward text ss opposed to photos.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

Hamo

Posted: 2018-03-01 11:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-28 10:19, hiltiki wrote:
http://imbibemagazine.com/home-tiki-bar-adrian-eustaquio/

Imbibe Magazine had a nice article here about how to decorate your home tiki bar by one of our old friends on TC, however no mention of Tiki Central anywhere.
We have been forgotten.

To be fair to Adrian, he and his guests regularly bring up TC on “Inside the Desert Oasis Room.” And of course Adrian’s own FB group would get a mention in this article.

And Martin put a shoutout to TC in the Smuggler’s Cove book, so it’s not like they’re not trying to get the word out.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-02 06:21 am   Permalink

Very good points, Hamo. I had the thought of an editor having possibly cut out Tiki Central due to issues with word count, space, relevancy, and who knows what. Anything could have happened. I have been interviewed on more than one occasion and found that the writer or editor had taken some pretty wild liberties with the truth to make the story more exciting. I was left with a bit of explaining to do when friends, family, and co-workers read the articles.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-03-02 07:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-02 06:21, AceExplorer wrote:
Very good points, Hamo. I had the thought of an editor having possibly cut out Tiki Central due to issues with word count, space, relevancy, and who knows what. Anything could have happened. I have been interviewed on more than one occasion and found that the writer or editor had taken some pretty wild liberties with the truth to make the story more exciting. I was left with a bit of explaining to do when friends, family, and co-workers read the articles.

Yep, editors do this all the time! I've had interviews with print media journalists in which I was name-dropping sponsors for certain events, and the editor cropped out some (but not all) of them to save space, and it required some explanation to those sponsors who didn't appear in the article. Very frustrating!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation