FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Is forum activity decreasing?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Is forum activity decreasing?
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-02 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

Yep, editors do this all the time! I've had interviews with print media journalists in which I was name-dropping sponsors for certain events, and the editor cropped out some (but not all) of them to save space, and it required some explanation to those sponsors who didn't appear in the article. Very frustrating!

As a recovering journalist who's spent the past 15 years in media relations, I can say that media is in no way interested in running a list of sponsors. The thinking is that if those sponsors want advertising in the newspaper/radio/television broadcast, they can pay for it. Unless the event has the sponsor's name in it (think all the college bowl games) then you're pretty much SOL. I tell our people who come to me with programs and events, wanting their golden prose reprinted on the front page of the Austin American-Statesman unaltered, along with the bad grip-and-grin photo they're provided at a resolution too low for print use. I tell them all we can do is provide the media with the information. Unless someone comes up with a budget to buy advertising space, we have no say on how, or even if they use said information. That's the truth.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-03-02 1:38 pm   Permalink

I've actually grown accustomed to journalists botching dates, times, locations, and other pertinent details of events, so the omission of sponsors is frustrating but not earth-shattering. If they have a "no sponsor" rule, it would just be nice if it was applied across the board.

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-02 1:57 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't say it's a rule so much as an inclination.

Newsrooms have been hit with insane budget cuts over the past 20 years. Specialized beat reporters are an endangered species. Staffing is reduced. Workloads have increased while pay and hours remain awful. Quality control is erratic and online journalism is even more problematic as the siren song of cut-and-paste clickbait sucks more and more sites in. A lot of people smarter than me have recognized the problem, but as of yet nobody has come up with a workable solution.

All of which is, at best, tangential to tiki. The good news is that, for most of the country at least, tiki remains quirky and exotic. Print and broadcast media are as likely as not to offer coverage of tiki-related events simply because there are often good visuals to be had.

And yes, references to TC in Adrian's Imbibe piece were as likely to be cut for brevity as his simply forgetting to mention the site.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-03-02 3:15 pm   Permalink

That makes sense, and also could explain the high turnover rate. It seems that I'm lucky to work with the same journalist or editor for two years in a row!

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-03 04:53 am   Permalink

"On 2018-03-02 06:21, AceExplorer wrote:
Very good points, Hamo. I had the thought of an editor having possibly cut out Tiki Central due to issues with word count, space, relevancy, and who knows what."

Tiki Mag cut a ton out of the Bill Sapp interview done many years ago.
I never understood that one.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-10 4:21 pm   Permalink

I don't know what to think about this but I added to a thread in Locating Tiki a day and a half ago and there have already been more 250 views since I posted? That's way more than I usually see for new views in that amount of time.

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-11 09:30 am   Permalink

View counts are funny on TC.
It could be 250 people looked at your post.

But it could also be it is one guy hitting it over and over,
that happens a lot on TC just to drive the views count up.

It was a good post so somebody could have posted a link to it on Facebook or something like that as well.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-14 4:13 pm   Permalink

I used to visit weekly, post some finds, participate in the give and take, but I pretty much only come back about once per month now. Not that I have lost interest, just got a lot going on in life, and the finds have been less and less. Still love everything about mid-century modern, tiki culture, and vintage ephemera.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Roa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-21 2:13 pm   Permalink

to keep people more interested...

one thing you could do is show new posts in a topic at the top of page 1 instead of the bottom of a multi page really old thread anyway

when i first joined it was like going through ten years of posts to get to the bottom...

i remember it was hard to post pictures so i stopped trying... i like the text style format though

some posts and topics are so old that they could just be irrelevant

putting new stuff at the top of the first page would really help

View Profile of Tiki Roa Send a personal message to Tiki Roa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik

Posted: 2018-04-01 6:43 pm   Permalink

I generally dislike Facebook but I do like the liking of posts that Facebook offers. Often, I read posts here on Tiki Central that I like but I have nothing to add. I wish there was a way for me to uptick the article or in someway indicate my interest in it without posting a no-value-added post.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik  Goto the website of Scott McGerik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-01 9:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-04-01 18:43, Scott McGerik wrote:
I generally dislike Facebook but I do like the liking of posts that Facebook offers. Often, I read posts here on Tiki Central that I like but I have nothing to add. I wish there was a way for me to uptick the article or in someway indicate my interest in it without posting a no-value-added post.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-02 01:26 am   Permalink

Something like this 'like' button?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-02 2:02 pm   Permalink

Swizzle does clicking on the like button actually DO anything worthwhile when you click on it? I know you already need to be logged on to Facebook to have it register a like on the comment but it's not like it shows up in your notifications on Facebook. I've "liked" a bunch of stuff but I don't think anyone even notices.

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-02 5:52 pm   Permalink

I was a bit miffed when on a tiki/rum Facebook group somebody replied to a long rum discussion, "I'm so glad to have a forum to discuss this stuff..."

But we've been here all along! And this is an actual forum! Haha. =\

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-02 6:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-04-02 14:02, tikicoma wrote:
Swizzle does clicking on the like button actually DO anything worthwhile when you click on it? I know you already need to be logged on to Facebook to have it register a like on the comment but it's not like it shows up in your notifications on Facebook. I've "liked" a bunch of stuff but I don't think anyone even notices.

Good question. I wasn't aware that you had to be logged on to FB for it to register but i do know that when someone does 'like' a post here it will show up on FB and say, "X liked this post on Tiki Central" and will provide a link back to it. However i'm pretty sure you will only see that (on your feed) if the person who liked the post on TC you are actually friends with on FB to begin with.

And something i just noticed is that i can see my comment has a like but hovering over the button it doesn't actually say who the member is that liked it. I thought the point of having that 'like' button here was two pronged and worked like it does on FB. 1.) So you could see how many people and who actually liked your post, and 2.) So that people could show their appreciation for your post without having to actually log in and leave an actual comment, but obviously it doesn't work that way.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation