Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Navan French Vanilla Liqueur
Navan French Vanilla Liqueur
Big Al Tiki

Posted: 2011-12-19 2:38 pm   Permalink

Hey there!

Was wondering if anyone knew of a good substitute for Navan French Vanilla Liqueur. I've been trying to find it around los angeles but no one seems to carry it anymore. I've tried bevmo, total wine, wine/liquor depot, walleys wine and spirits and beverage warehouse but no luck. I also saw that kahlua makes a french vanilla liqueur but have no clue of it is really comparable.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!
-Al

View Profile of Big Al Tiki Send a personal message to Big Al Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-19 2:52 pm   Permalink

I did a couple of quick searches, and it looks like the Grand Marnier folks did stop selling the Navan -- the Web site is even dead. They billed it as a vanilla flavored cognac, so the Meukow might be a good alternative:

http://bit.ly/tXqYHs (link to Google shopping search)

The Meukow site is here: http://www.meukowcognac.com/frame.php?lang=gbr

Cheers,
Josh

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-12-19 8:15 pm   Permalink

I substitute Licor 43 (Cuarenta Y Tres) for Navan. It's not an exact match, but Licor 43 does have a good vanilla element and is used in a few other recipes. The only recipe I've ever seen call specifically for Navan is The Dead Reckoning and 43 works just fine there.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 02:06 am   Permalink

I've never had the Navan, and it appears i never will from the sound of it. I was going to suggest Licor 43 myself and Galliano is also vanilla based. From memory Marie Brizzard have a vanilla liqueur also, although i've never tried it.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 04:58 am   Permalink

It's still for sale in the Uk, so if you know someone who can ship it. But Liqor 43 sounds like a good substitute.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 06:54 am   Permalink

Navan was discontinued, although I still see it on the shelves around here (Northern Virginia). So you might be able to track some down if you're interested enough. There are other Vanilla-flavored Cognacs, including Meukow and Hardy, although I haven't tried them.

I would just go with the Licor 43, which is a great liqueur.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 09:57 am   Permalink

According the the Grand Marnier website, Navan is available in Canada, France, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and the Virgin Islands. There are a couple of threads about this on their boards, but no definitive answer. I have sent an email to the company. As is usual with corporate communication, I'm not holding my breath on a reply.

It makes no sense to me, because once I convinced the local liquor store to stock it, they couldn't keep it on the shelves. I

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 9:58 pm   Permalink

What a bummer. Meukow is not a decent substitute as the flavor and potency just aren't there. Meukow is buttery and subtle, the Navan is notably a stronger proof and the flavor really lingers on the palette. I'll need to research as my new book uses Navan for 3 drinks.

Licor 43 might not work as I thought it had citrus notes? But if the citrus notes are subtle enough then it might be fine. Galliano might work, but last I remember it had a more of a cotton candy-ish flavor.

Big Al, search on Bevmo's website but check "Store Pickup" vs shipping. I'm finding most have a stock of about 15 375ml bottles for $13 each. My local Mountain View store lists 51 bottles.

Here's an interesting article on 3 vanilla liquors. I may buy a bottle of ~$30 cognac and experiment with infusing natural Madagascar vanilla beans, adding Turbinado, Demerara or cane syrup to match the sweet/syrupy viscosity of Navan. I'm sipping Navan right now and also notice the ever slightest touch of honey. The cognac is definitely on the forefront which leads me to believe home infusion may be the way to go as long as plenty of vanilla is used. I'm still tasting vanilla well after 5 minutes of taking a sip.
http://scottesrum.com/category/comparisons/3-vanilla-cognacs/

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-12-20 22:54 ]

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-20 11:29 pm   Permalink

I bought a big bottle of Navan from the duty free store at an airport in Germany this last July. If you have any friends doing international travel during the holidays, have them check out the duty free stores as well. There may be some stock left.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Al Tiki

Posted: 2011-12-21 10:24 pm   Permalink

Wow thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up picking up a botle of meukow and then drove a bit further to grab that navan from a bevmo, thanks for that kevin. You can definitley taste the difference with the amount of vanilla in them but i havnt tried the results yet of meukow as a mixer instead of navan. Thanks again!

View Profile of Big Al Tiki Send a personal message to Big Al Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation