FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Trader Mort's Liquor, San Diego, CA (store)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Trader Mort's Liquor, San Diego, CA (store)
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 4:06 pm   Permalink

Name:Trader Mort's Liquor
Type:store
Street:2904 Shelter Island Dr.
City:San Diego
State:CA
Zip:92106
Phone:619-224-3771

Description:
Trader Mort's Liquor was established in 1975. It is on the corner of Scott St. and Shelter Island Dr.
The store is located in the Fleetridge neighborhood of Pt. Loma.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 4:17 pm   Permalink

Matchbook from Trader Mort's.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Copagirl

Posted: 2011-12-21 11:09 pm   Permalink

I love Trader Morts, I stop in anytime I am in Shelter Island whether I need anything or not...

View Profile of Copagirl Send a personal message to Copagirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-09 9:06 pm   Permalink

This thread really needs a photo of the Trader Mort's building

And of course the Tiki

That was carved by Eli Hedley as seen here in this photo posted by Bamboo Ben from the original Island Trade Stores.

And last, the Trader Mort's Tiki Mug.

I always stop in here to pick up some rum before heading out on long range Tuna fishing trips from Point Loma.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-10 08:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-20 16:06, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Description:
Trader Mort's Liquor was established in 1975.

Really!?! Not the 50's or 60's??
I'm kinda bummed it's not older.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmdTiki

Posted: 2012-10-30 12:20 pm   Permalink

I'd have to agree with 4WDtiki. The lack of an area code on the matchbook would indicate an earlier build (the majority of businesses had incorporated area codes into their phone numbers by the mid-1960s). And the building's architecture reminds me of the 1960s A & W restaurant "pilgrim hat" prototype. Vintage Roadside on flickr dates the building to 1963, which seems more likely
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintageroadside/3897615833/
Has anyone checked the local phone directories for when Trader Mort's first appears?

View Profile of hmdTiki Send a personal message to hmdTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 4:15 pm   Permalink

Good point DC.

The parking lot sign

The doorhandle

Here's a photo of a war club I own

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vintage Roadside
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-01 3:20 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure where our notes for this one are at the moment but seem to recall getting the date of the building from the owner when we stopped in back in 2010.

View Profile of Vintage Roadside Send a personal message to Vintage Roadside  Goto the website of Vintage Roadside     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-01 6:49 pm   Permalink

I love this thread! I did not know a lot of the history behind Trader Morts and it has a lot more history than I had imagined. I hope I see one of those Munktiki mugs on ebay or somewhere.

This place is great! I get my Lemonhart here. I can actually take a long walk from my house and get there. They have mugs, as well as Rum and mixers that the chain liquor stores don't carry. They always have coupons in the Tiki Magazine, which they also sell. They had a write up in the last mag or the one prior. I'll read through that again too.

I talk to the owner regularly, but he isn't working too often. I'll gladly ask him the exact date info the next time I see him. Give me a week or two...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChimayBleue

Posted: 2012-11-03 11:25 am   Permalink

I can't see the photos that the others posted for some reason, but I'll add a shot that I took of Trader Mort's recently.

Aloha E Komo Mai by Chimay Bleue, on Flickr

Also, I believe Trader Mort's dates from around 1964. The architecture is more consistent with the mid-60s and I had always understood that it was.

[ This Message was edited by: ChimayBleue 2012-11-03 12:07 ]

View Profile of ChimayBleue Send a personal message to ChimayBleue  Goto the website of ChimayBleue     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-12 11:15 am   Permalink

I talked to an older gent yesterday at Trader Mort's. He told me that he thought that it was first open in 1965. It is not definitive, but I will keep asking. He said that a man with the last name Mortenson had started it and that is where the name comes from. It has been through a few owners, but everyone just decided to keep the original name. Also he said that the building was originally built for Trader Mort's, and that nothing was in the building prior.

I will try to find out more and continue to post.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-11-12 12:33 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-27 2:07 pm   Permalink

Ok, I talked to the owner today. He confirmed that the year it was opened is 1965.

His family purchased it in 1975 so they have owned it for quite some time now. I guess that is how we got confused.

Anyway, the mystery is solved! 1965 confirmed by the owner and proprietor. This is a great tiki liquor store that has catered to tikiphiles since 1965. Great place to check out when you are in the area!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-14 9:48 pm   Permalink

Quick trip this weekend, ahhhhhhhh

I don't see a shelf that has this on it very often..
Brought back 4 bottles..

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 09:20 am   Permalink

Man, I would love to be able to walk into a liquor store to buy the rum I want and a mug or two to put it in. Michigan sucks.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-19 09:20, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
Man, I would love to be able to walk into a liquor store to buy the rum I want and a mug or two to put it in. Michigan sucks.

Aaaaamen, brother (but Ohio).

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation