FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki has anyone see or know anything about this plaque
has anyone see or know anything about this plaque
silversurfer01

Posted: 2011-12-29 8:35 pm   Permalink

hi there .
found this at a garage sale in canada and i.ve not been able to find anything about it , any help would be awesome , i have a large collection of tikis but this is one that has stumped me its 1/2 thick and 7x36 inches +- looks like lava molded and has no markings that i can find

thanks .
jason

View Profile of silversurfer01 Send a personal message to silversurfer01      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-29 10:28 pm   Permalink

Could this be the largest Coco Joe yet?
It is Hawaiian for sure.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-29 11:13 pm   Permalink

It's a plaque of two Hawaiian guys, but I could be wrong.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-29 11:13 pm   Permalink

They look mad at each other.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-29 11:33 pm   Permalink

I remember seeing a matched set of Coco Joe's plaques (each one different) that were similar to this on e-Bay a couple of years ago. They went for a couple hundred if I remember correctly. Great score!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
silversurfer01

Posted: 2011-12-29 11:54 pm   Permalink

hi there .

thanks , i got the plaque for $15 and the lady said she bought it in hawaii on holliday 20 years ago but that was all , i also got some frank schirman pieces from her, it has the moled in wire into the back like some coco joes pieces i have , i have had the piece for 3 years now and look on the bay from time to time but never see one like this befor , thanks for the help so far .

jason

Quote:

On 2011-12-29 23:33, Trader Tom wrote:
I remember seeing a matched set of Coco Joe's plaques (each one different) that were similar to this on e-Bay a couple of years ago. They went for a couple hundred if I remember correctly. Great score!

View Profile of silversurfer01 Send a personal message to silversurfer01      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Teach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-30 12:06 am   Permalink

hmmmm looks more like one Hawaiian guy looking at a reflection of himself in a pond. I do argee he does look mad.

View Profile of Tiki Teach Send a personal message to Tiki Teach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-30 12:30 am   Permalink

I looked all over facebook for some info on this, but I couldn't find a thing!

I do rememeber something about it.

That's an early Cocojoe's piece...

"Hawaiian Lore in Lava
The 'life of the land' is artistically and dramatically expressed by coco joes in these Hawaiian Lava Bas Relief.

#503 The Warriors-Hawaiian Chiefs in martial combat. Revealed in this action scene created out of blue flame lava is the ancient Hawaiian custom of combat to the death. Catching an opponent's spear was the significant challenge of the Makahiki War Games."

Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2011-12-30 00:32 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-30 12:49 am   Permalink

So it is a Cocojoe!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-30 01:50 am   Permalink

Scooore! There are 3 other styles similar in size to this...Happy Hunting
Try to keep this out of direct sunlight, I've heard a sad story of one cracking from too much heat...pretty thin, with alot of incised details....

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2011-12-30 01:53 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-30 08:05 am   Permalink

We have seen so many CoCo Joes that are bent forward from being placed in windows. Good reminder Freddie. Love that plaque great score! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
silversurfer01

Posted: 2012-01-11 11:12 pm   Permalink

hi there .

thanks for the info on keeping it out of the sun , moved it to a darker wall . thanks bay Park buzzy that info will help .

thanks
jason

UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-15 4:56 pm   Permalink

Think I found one of its mates this weekend.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
silversurfer01

Posted: 2013-03-16 11:05 pm   Permalink

hi there .

thats awesome were did you find it i'm always looking on ebay for one to pop up if you dont mind how much did you get it for , would you sell it and how much would love to add it to mine .
thanks
for the show .
jason

Quote:

On 2012-04-15 16:56, UtopianDreem wrote:
Think I found one of its mates this weekend.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation