FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Collecting Tiki Ľ Ľ Need advice on restoring a Witco bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Need advice on restoring a Witco bar
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 7:52 pm   Permalink

I hate you, Paul.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-14 06:52 am   Permalink

Alas sorry no photos yet... I was laid off from work 4 weeks ago and things have been at a standstill but I accepted a great offer today so just give me time.

The Feed-n-wax product that was recommended definitely brought some color back. It's not a shiny, "book of Tiki" look, but more of a natural darkening of the wood. Burning and brushing the chipped areas worked great, just be careful not to overdo it.

I would be VERY thankful for the shots of the back of the bar! I would really like to recreate the original look...

View Profile of Matt Helm Send a personal message to Matt Helm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-15 09:52 am   Permalink

Congrats on your new position then!

Here's a couple of shots of your missing back. I'll take some measurements when I get a chance, but these should give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Realized too that it looks like you're missing the casters:

It looks like Sheperd Casters is still in business!
http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_ball.html

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-16 3:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks! I don't have the capability to replicate the wavy shelf pieces right now but I will save that for a future project... The casters are definitely going back on

View Profile of Matt Helm Send a personal message to Matt Helm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRenee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-08 7:34 pm   Permalink

Matt, we saw that bar listed on CL about 8+ months ago. We decided it was to much work for us. Glad to see it went to someone who would put the time into making it a nice bar again. Keep us posted with the good work.

View Profile of TikiRenee Send a personal message to TikiRenee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-18 08:18 am   Permalink

It pains me to say this but due to some recent life events the bar is FOR SALE in Miami, fl.

The main bar has been cleaned up and treated with an orange oil & wax, and the stool that needed repair was fixed.

The bar still needs the fabric or covering of your choice on the front and sides and the stools need cushions.

I hate to sell this but right now it's the right decision.

I'm going to leave it up here for a day before I list it elsewhere.

$300

[ This Message was edited by: Matt Helm 2012-03-18 08:19 ]

Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 5:13 pm   Permalink

Aw man! Sorry to hear you have to part with your bar.
It's just "stuff" though, I hope you get some decent money for it to help you out.

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stingray

Posted: 2012-04-14 8:28 pm   Permalink

Last week I found four Witco stools and two small side tables/plant stands. They've definitely seen better days. Following Tiki Lee's advice, I got busy with some of that Howard's Orange Oil with Wax, and man oh man! Night and day! So, thanks for the tip.

That said, I do have a question of my own: One of the stools has a decent-sized glop of candle wax on the "foot", where the grooves of the wood are the tightest. It's a thin layer, so it's been tough getting it off. I've read about two methods for removal: heat or ice. I'm leaning towards applying heat with a hairdryer, wiping as much of the wax off as possible, then working out the last of it with more heat and a toothpick. Sound good, or is there a third option?

Mahalo in advance,

*Stingray*

View Profile of Stingray Send a personal message to Stingray  Goto the website of Stingray     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

I saved this Witco stool from a slow death. I am going to restore him according to these tips. Anyone know if there is a good ďfillerĒ to use for termite damage? Also anyone have any ideas to replicate the cheetah print fabric for the cushion? Looks like it is a thicker fabric, hopefully I can find something. Thanks for looking!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-07 9:50 pm   Permalink

Wow! He's lookin' pretty sad

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-07 10:36 pm   Permalink

Iíll make him happy again

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-09 07:18 am   Permalink

Iím sure that beer made him happy

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surf2live

Posted: 2017-12-20 08:41 am   Permalink

Aloha--Sent you a PM

View Profile of surf2live Send a personal message to surf2live      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-25 9:37 pm   Permalink

Iíll make him happy again

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 1:59 pm   Permalink

Rehabbed this clown mainlander over the wkend

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation