FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Raffles Hotel- The Long Bar (Singapore)
Raffles Hotel- The Long Bar (Singapore)
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-13 01:16 am   Permalink

Not technically tiki but this is the birthplace of the Singapore Sling, one of the great tropical drinks. (and one of the few that seems to have actually come from the South Pacific or Far East) Dropping by the Long Bar I had a great time just soaking up the ambience and talking with a Canadian tourist who didn't know about the Sling so tried one and a Japanese businessman who always stops by the Long Bar when laid over in Singapore.

Overall a good hour spent with interesting company in a nice location I highly recommend visiting. The Sling itself is sweet as can be and tasted great to me, though it was $26 USD per Sling. Too pricey, but I considered it payment for being there. If you ever stop by do have one just to say you did and spend the rest of the time tossing peanut shells on the floor and making small talk with the other bar patrons. I had only the afternoon to enjoy Singapore before moving on, the rest of the time was spent at Fort Canning Park and the Battle Box, (World War II British Malayan Campaign HQ) which are both also worth a visit.

The hotel

The doorman

The Long Bar

The Sling

The Wayfarer

While there the bartender gave me a nice card with the Sling recipe on it, so I got a Long Bar postcard from the gift shop and had them framed together when I returned to Guam.

[ This Message was edited by: Wayfarer 2012-08-03 18:43 ]

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-01-13 01:43 am   Permalink

Great post!

Thanks Wayfarer.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation