FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lori's first mug - updated 3/13 with final pics of #3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Lori's first mug - updated 3/13 with final pics of #3
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-16 6:10 pm   Permalink

"This whole mess took a LOT more time than I ever anticipated!"

Ceramics were created to teach PATIENCE to people like you and I

Congrats on your first mug! Just keep plugging on and you'll continue to learn and improve. BTW - Underglaze on the outside is OK. You need a glossy glaze inside to make the mug food safe but a matte finish on the outside can create a raw, primative look and feel. Wendy is right about the notebook; post pictures there along with glaze names and techniques. It can really be helpful later.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-16 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-16 13:27, danlovestikis wrote:
Hi Lori, this is really fun to watch. I haven't experimented with glazes nearly enough. Be sure to keep a journal of your glazes used and what to did with them like not stirring. The journal will help you in the future. I keep a record on every item I make. It also helps when someone asks for something similar.

I already am wondering how you got the orange and red effect on the eyebrows and forehead. It's beautiful.

MadDogMike does under glaze first. Puts it into water which will show if there are any defects. If there are he adds more under glaze. Then you coat the mug with clear glaze and that seals it in. You just haven't done the last step.

I can tell you have been bitten by the tiki bug. Tiki Farm puts out quality tikis by many talented artists. We have collected many of their mugs.

Enjoy, Wendy

Wendy, I kinda blew it on the notetaking thing! I meant to do that - REALLY meant to do it - but didn't. I can however, still remember most so that will be my job for tomorrow, to write it all down.

The orange and yellow things were supposed to be flames but all i did was 3 coats yellow then 2 coats orange on top. I paint like the elementary school teacher I am! And you're quite right, I'm totally bitten. Thanks again for your comments!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-16 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-16 18:10, MadDogMike wrote:
"This whole mess took a LOT more time than I ever anticipated!"

Ceramics were created to teach PATIENCE to people like you and I

Congrats on your first mug! Just keep plugging on and you'll continue to learn and improve. BTW - Underglaze on the outside is OK. You need a glossy glaze inside to make the mug food safe but a matte finish on the outside can create a raw, primative look and feel. Wendy is right about the notebook; post pictures there along with glaze names and techniques. It can really be helpful later.

Thanks again Mike for your kind words. Btw, I'm planning on following the tutorial you sent me for my next build.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-18 11:21 am   Permalink

Nice job Lori!!! I bet the underglaze will end up being a happy mistake, can wait to see how it turns out. So you have motivated me again, thank you. I put it on my calendar to make my molds next weekend (once it's on the calendar, it's a done deal). I'll post the photos on Sunday.

Don't you just love those Tiki Farm Martini glasses? I just bought a set of the first run ones on ebay.

Thanks for posting your photos!

Tiki Tonie

View Profile of Tiki Tonie Send a personal message to Tiki Tonie  Email Tiki Tonie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-19 1:52 pm   Permalink

Hi Lori welcome aboard! very nice to see, you are trying your hand at mug making, I think is great, congrats! The other great thing about TC is, there are a lot of very kind and generous people, willing to help and encourage you.
And because of that, I love to watch how people grow over time too. That's the thing about the art of making things, they need time.
Here on TC the time fly by

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-19 4:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-19 13:52, Clarita wrote:
Hi Lori welcome aboard! very nice to see, you are trying your hand at mug making, I think is great, congrats! The other great thing about TC is, there are a lot of very kind and generous people, willing to help and encourage you.
And because of that, I love to watch how people grow over time too. That's the thing about the art of making things, they need time.
Here on TC the time fly by

Thanks for the welcome Clarita! Everyone has been so supportive. I just wish I had 1/100th of the talent of some of the people here. But I am learning from the best. And Friday I spent my free time creating a clay journal as Wedny suggested.

ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 11:04 am   Permalink

Remember, Lori - every Tiki artist started with their first mug, once upon a time. I can't wait to follow your evolution, and remember that above all else, if you love the Tiki, the Tiki will love you back.

Aloha,
~Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 06:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-22 11:04, ZeroTiki wrote:
Remember, Lori - every Tiki artist started with their first mug, once upon a time. I can't wait to follow your evolution, and remember that above all else, if you love the Tiki, the Tiki will love you back.

Aloha,
~Zero

Thanks Zero! I love that "love the Tiki & the Tiki will love you back!"

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 07:12 am   Permalink

Mugs 1 & 2 are done! I glazed them both again, fixing some mistakes and adding some more glaze to the big one because it seemed unfinished. They're not perfect but I like them enough and even I am kind of impressed with my first attempts! Again, I thinak all of you for your kind words & encouragment.

The color I used for the body of the mug was a flecked one cappuccino (crystal magic) so that's what's up with the specs, including the green glob on the tongue. It was the only "brownish" glaze available and beggars can't be choosers.

This little guy, "Mel" came out good but I made a mistake and used the wrong color when I recoated the inside to cover some white spots but amazingly it turned out pretty cool nevertheless. A happy mistake!

Thanks for looking!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 07:50 am   Permalink

Hi Lori, both your mugs are really fun. You may also enhance your mugs with Liquitex Glossies an acrylic enamel paint that you put on then bake in your homes oven. You could turn that tongue spot into a bug. Every step is fun. Keep it up, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-23 07:50, danlovestikis wrote:
Hi Lori, both your mugs are really fun. You may also enhance your mugs with Liquitex Glossies an acrylic enamel paint that you put on then bake in your homes oven. You could turn that tongue spot into a bug. Every step is fun. Keep it up, Wendy

OOOHHHH Wendy, what a great idea!!!

I'll have to check out that paint you mentioned! Thanks.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 10:21 am   Permalink

That's one of the cool things about glazing - you often get a second chance (sometimes even a third, fourth, fifth or sixth chance to get it right) Keep at it and you be a master in no time!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-13 07:41 am   Permalink

Mug #3 was a Valentine's Day present for my husband that he got yesterday, March 12th! Nearly one month late exactly. This one had bad timing and had to wait around for both its firings. I have nothing in the works now but there's an after school ceramics club that begins today so I should be starting another mug soon. With each project I learn something new. This one I made asymmetrical on purpose after MDM showed me a technique for creating symmetry which I failed at! The art teacher who lets me use his supplies and kiln thinks this one looks like a clown. Oh well. I need an old tiki carving book for inspiration, I haven't found one yet!

Thanks for looking....

I really like the woodgrain carved into the back -

and the black inside is cool too. My husband liked his mug.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-13 07:55 am   Permalink

Adorable. You must be a wonderful couple. It's super good to have you here. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-14 08:42 am   Permalink

Thanks Wendy! You are so good at making me feel welcome and that I'm NOT wasting my time. I appreciate your kind comments and hope one day we will meet in person.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation