FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Nostalgic Food & Beverages
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Nostalgic Food & Beverages
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-01-23 1:21 pm   Permalink

It's called a Snickers Almond Bar, but doesn't taste as good.

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-23 1:35 pm   Permalink

All the food I remember was "Scotch Buy" brand from Safeway - "It ain't fancy but is sure is good"

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-01-23 13:37 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 5:40 pm   Permalink

Spaceman Smokes. Unfortunately they have been renamed and repackaged since I first ran into them as a 3 year-old:

"Candy sticks" - who are they fooling? We all called them "smokes" when we were kids...

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 6:07 pm   Permalink

Quisp actually is available again!

I was able to find it in Boston when it first came back a bunch of years ago. I haven't seen it around anywhere lately (I've been in San Diego for years), but apparantly it is still out there, so keep looking.

If all else fails, you can order from Quaker's online store:

http://quakeroats.elsstore.com/view/category/209-quisp/
http://www.quakeroats.com/products/more-products-from-quaker/content/cereals/quisp.aspx

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 6:32 pm   Permalink

I miss the original McDonald's "Filet-O-Fish"

When it was made from real Cod, 1963 to late 70s, Again it was fresh cooked & not microwaved
Then they switched to Pollock

Then in 1981 they switched to New Zealand Hoki, which is almost fished out now
Now they are back to a combo of Pollock, Hoki & God knows what?

But when it was Cod it was pretty good, I don't eat at McDonald's anymore, Sooo..

Hoki...

[ This Message was edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-23 18:37 ]

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 7:28 pm   Permalink

I was wondering about the fillet o fish. I used to love it 'back in the day' now it tastes... just weird.

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_martin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-24 7:45 pm   Permalink

Wow, I loved Space Sticks! Tonga Tom, post those pics of the pirate-themed tv dinners you showed me at The Hut on Sunday...please. I loved those too. I remember western ones as well. Long live Farrell's and their jawbreakers.

View Profile of tiki_martin Send a personal message to tiki_martin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 8:07 pm   Permalink

I don't miss fish sticks, Something we all had at one time or another.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 8:21 pm   Permalink

If you had a parent that was in the Military, Marine Corp for me
then you ate S.O.S. or Shit on a Shingle as a kid, Chipped Beef or Hamburger
in gravy served on toast, maybe with an egg.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-24 8:24 pm   Permalink

My grandmother called it Graveyard Stew

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 08:21 am   Permalink

Chuck Tatum is Tiki, you can get flavored coke at Sonic drive-ins and Dairy Queen (if you are fortunate to have one or both). I understand that they won't taste exactly like they used to (nothing does anymore), but those are the only chains I have found that offer those options (not including any local mom and pop owned soda fountains).

Currently, you can get Mars bars at Wal-Mart and maybe a few gas stations, but WM is the only place I have seen them and if I hadn't ducked in to get batteries for my camera I wouldn't have known they were back. The picture you posted is the re-release of the Mars bar. Tonga Tom is right, Sinkers almond pretty much took the Mars spot, but to doesn't taste like a Mars bar. I wish they would bring back Bar-None candy bars.

If you are lucky enough to find them, you can get Dr. Pepper with sugar. They used to be bottled in a little bottling company in Dublin, TX. But recently the corporate hammer took that from them. Sad, they were one of the last glass bottling facility I have seen. I have read that the Dr. Pepper company still plan on selling the DP with sugar, but not through that small bottling plant. They have been brewing the DP with sugar for years and shipping it to the bottling plant for packaging. Corporate greed at it's finest. I had head the Dublin facility solid out of all remaining stock the day it was announced. I tried the "Dublin" Dr. Pepper hot through a percolator when my throat was sore, it helped.

Now if you want Dr. Pepper, Coke, or Pepsi with sugar you have to be lucky enough to get some of the limited editions that get released now and then or ones from Mexico. Pepsi does sell "Pepsi Throwback" in my part of the state (TX) along with "throwback" Mt. Dew. I'm not a huge soda drinker these days, but the Pepsi Throwback makes a good quick rum and cola or cuba libre for guests or a easy drink.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 08:33 am   Permalink

I miss how Long John Silvers used to look.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wafflewhiffer/4187142188/in/photostream

My wife and I have stopped in to the local one recently and while they still used the original building, it's stripped down and combined (with of all things) A&W root beer and hot dogs (WTH!?).

I remember when I was a kid that they used to have a treasure chest full of prises. I wish I could get one for my home.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/2844075787/

This guy has a really good photo collection of food and drink products from the good ol' days:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wafflewhiffer/

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 08:46 am   Permalink

Although it has banned in the US forever I have fond memories of the artificial liquid sweetener Sucarly that was filled with rat tumor growing cyclamates. It didn’t taste like sugar the way Taco Bell doesn’t taste like Mexican food but I realy miss that sickeningly sweet concentrated rush and Splenda just won't do it.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-27 6:09 pm   Permalink

A great place in LA to get hard to find sodas and hard to find candy is Galco's

http://www.sodapopstop.com/

The site sucks, but the market should not be missed. Their selection of soda is incredible.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shaker 2012-01-27 18:10 ]

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-05 1:27 pm   Permalink

Beemans Gum

I grew up around small Airports,Skydivers & Pilots so this super strong (Pepsin flavored) gum was everywhere
I got to like it & still find it now & then.

It was featured in the movies "The Right Stuff" & "The Rocketeer"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation