FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Nostalgic Food & Beverages
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Nostalgic Food & Beverages
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-05 5:11 pm   Permalink

Lance,

You can get Beemans and Black Jack gums plus other old favorite candy type goodies, like bubble gum cigarettes, through the Galco's link above as well.

A pilgrimage may be in order.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 01:25 am   Permalink

Hey Bear, Can you lend me a stick of Beeman's
I'll pay ya back later.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-22 23:18, JOHN-O wrote:
An Okie Dog would be pretty easy to reproduce...

Two hot dogs on a flour tortilla, covered with chili and pastrami and wrapped up like a burrito.

Although I never tried.

Weren't the two hot dogs wrapped in the pastrami? Then smothered in chili and cheese and then all surrounded in a tortilla (and then wrapped in an enigma)?

I had one once. It was memorable.I was surprised that they had an "A" rating.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 08:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-22 23:46, JOHN-O wrote:
I remember after Little League, we would eat at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. I was only familiar with the one in Rosemead, I never realized at the time it was a chain.

Interestingly enough that Rosemead location is now home to one of the most popular Chinese restaurants in So Ca. Many people just refer to it as "The Chinese restaurant that used to be Farrell's". Ha Ha. It's a good way to identify people who spent their Wonder Years in the SGV.

Anyway Farrell's had this giant ice cream concoction that had to be carried out by two people called The Zoo. Or was it the Pig's Trough, I forget.

I'm pretty sure I ate at the Farrel's at the International Market Place in Honolulu back in 1982. It was a memorable place and Mr. Phillip Roberts confirmed that it was indeed there at the time.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-23 12:31, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
What happened to "Mars Bars" I read that they are back,but have not seen one in years...

I'd be willing to trade Mars bars for other food items. We got 'em here.
Do you have Frankenberry?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 10:30 am   Permalink

I think Count Chocula & Frankenberry were finally killed by the denizens
of Cerealvania

"Okie Dogs" had the worst food, I usually stuck to the "Ugly Fry's" so greasy and served
in a brown paper bag that just soaked up the grease.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-03-06 10:36 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-06 10:46 am   Permalink

If you think it butter, but it's not...it's Chiffon

Remember, it isn't nice to fool Mother Nature

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-06 11:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

"Okie Dogs" had the worst food, I usually stuck to the "Ugly Fry's" so greasy and served

I actually ate an Oki Dog......once. Ha ha.
Hung out there a lot, late. Didn't eat much. After the Starwood usually.

So anyway, I have been meaning to mention:
Growing up in Costa Mesa in the 70's when there were still two strip clubs in town there was also a place that hopefully some of you may remember. it was Pink's Drugstore. It was located on Newport a few doors down from Goathill Tavern where (I think) Ticket Shack eventually was. Right where Harbor hits Newport.
It was owned by a former Costa Mesa mayor named Pinkney, or Pinkey and it was his hobby which was a recreation of an old fifties Soda Shop like you see in the movies.
Place was awesome for a little kid. He dressed up the part and actually he and his wife worked behind the counter and sold Sarsparillas, and Flavored cokes which he made himself, like a bartender. He also maintained a large penny candy rack which he operated obviously at a loss because it was just fun for him to let us little kids come in and pick out maybe twenty-five cents worth of candy. When those candies Bottle Caps came out he gave them away to us for free and told us they sucked and he couldn't charge for them. The long bar he bought and it was a killer vintage beauty. We would sit at the counter and he would make us...what are those flavored sodas called?..Parfaits? No not Parfaits....umm? Can't remember.
He also of course made huge Banana Splits and Hot Fudge Sundaes for like 50 cents. Place was by the Mesa Theater sort of and in my neighborhood. A block down was a strip club.
Quite a fond memory. It was a true blast from the past which had no business existing in that time and place, and yet...
Crap! What do they call those flavored sodas?

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-06 11:51, Gavin wrote:
Quote:

I actually ate an Oki Dog......once. Ha ha.
Hung out there a lot, late. Didn't eat much. After the Starwood usually.

So anyway, I have been meaning to mention:
Growing up in Costa Mesa in the 70's when there were still two strip clubs in town there was also a place that hopefully some of you may remember. it was Pink's Drugstore. It was located on Newport a few doors down from Goathill Tavern where (I think) Ticket Shack eventually was. Right where Harbor hits Newport.
It was owned by a former Costa Mesa mayor named Pinkney, or Pinkey and it was his hobby which was a recreation of an old fifties Soda Shop like you see in the movies.
Place was awesome for a little kid. He dressed up the part and actually he and his wife worked behind the counter and sold Sarsparillas, and Flavored cokes which he made himself, like a bartender. He also maintained a large penny candy rack which he operated obviously at a loss because it was just fun for him to let us little kids come in and pick out maybe twenty-five cents worth of candy. When those candies Bottle Caps came out he gave them away to us for free and told us they sucked and he couldn't charge for them. The long bar he bought and it was a killer vintage beauty. We would sit at the counter and he would make us...what are those flavored sodas called?..Parfaits? No not Parfaits....umm? Can't remember.
He also of course made huge Banana Splits and Hot Fudge Sundaes for like 50 cents. Place was by the Mesa Theater sort of and in my neighborhood. A block down was a strip club.
Quite a fond memory. It was a true blast from the past which had no business existing in that time and place, and yet...
Crap! What do they call those flavored sodas?

Was it a Phosphate ?

Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-06 12:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-06 11:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Was it a Phosphate ?

Yes! exactly. Thank you, that was driving me nuts.
a frikkin phosphate. I even remember him telling me what it was.
(Appreciate the recall I owe you an Oki Dog for jarring my memory on that fine little morsel from hell.)

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 1:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2012-03-06 08:49, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I'd be willing to trade Mars bars for other food items. We got 'em here.
Do you have Frankenberry?

Quote:
On 2012-03-06 10:30, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I think Count Chocula & Frankenberry were finally killed by the denizens
of Cerealvania

Local market had Frankenberry, Count Chocula, & Booberry this past Fall around Halloween time, bought one of each. My son eased off on his cereal intake for some reason, so we still have a factory sealed box of Frankenberry on top of the fridge with a "better if used by" date of 13JUN2012. He'd better get busy again, or I'll have to sell it to Slacks Ferret for an insane profit.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 2:30 pm   Permalink

Don't forget the other cereals in this mad monster party, fruit brute and yummy mummy.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 3:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-06 01:25, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey Bear, Can you lend me a stick of Beeman's
I'll pay ya back later.

Sure thing. Just don't screw the pooch and become a smoking hole in the ground so you can welsh out on me.

Bear

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 5:07 pm   Permalink

I have zero memories of Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy cereals,Did these make it to California?

Bear:

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 5:11 pm   Permalink

I wanted 'The Thing" cereal with shape shifting fruit bites
but General Mills never responded to my letters

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation