FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Nostalgic Food & Beverages
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Nostalgic Food & Beverages
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 6:25 pm   Permalink

Oh man look at that Datsun 510!!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 11:58 pm   Permalink

"I made a pig of myself" more than a couple of times at the HB location just south of the 405 on Beach Blvd.

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-07 08:03 am   Permalink

We used to go to the one on Beach Blvd.
and eat the Zoo.
Farrell's are actually coming back now. I haven't been but my cousins celebrated a baby birthday party there the other week. They're in Mission Viejo and Brea and a few others in California. Also in Hawaii.

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-07 08:21 am   Permalink

For all you Retro Hounds, Farrell's Locations are:

In SoCal

Downtown BREA
215 S Brea Blvd
Brea, CA 92821

MISSION VIEJO
799 The Shops Blvd
The Shops at Mission Viejo
Mission Viejo, CA 92691

RANCHO CUCAMONGA
10742 Foothill Blvd
Terra Vista Town Center Shopping Center
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

SANTA CLARITA
21516 Golden Triangle Road
Santa Clarita, CA 91350

Hawaii

at Pearlridge Shopping Center
98-1005 Moanalua Road, Space # 884
Aiea, HI 96701

http://www.farrellsusa.com/index.php

Edited: Fixed a mistake, Thanks Loki-Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-03-07 09:28 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-07 09:30 am   Permalink

I used to go to a Farrels in San Jose when I was a kid.
as much as I would love to go now, the thought of Ice Cream kinda turns my stomach now, ah the joys of getting older and being lactose intolerant.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-10 6:12 pm   Permalink

Kings Food Host and their awesome "cheese frenchie"

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-11 06:43 am   Permalink

"FIZZIES" and they are back.

http://www.fizzies.com/

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-11 07:34 am   Permalink

Ahhhhhh...fizzles!!!

Has anyone tried those make-at-home cotton candy machines? I wonder if they work well...might be fun.
http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Electrics-PCM-805-Sugar-Free-Cotton/dp/B003FA0KN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331476322&sr=8-1

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-22 16:27, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-01-20 23:23, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Here is one from 1970 to 1988 & located mainly in Southern California

Naugles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugles

This was a Punk Rock institution in the mid to late 70s, It was one of the only places open late at that time
It was fast Mexican food that was actually pretty good, very fresh and the Burritos were huge
they where called Macho Burritos (Taco Bell bought them out in 1988 & kept the title "Macho" on the menu, but not the size of the food)

You would get a Macho Burrito that was huge and very rarely could finish the whole thing, I liked the "Macho Burrito con Queso"
the bun tacos & the taco cups.

We would stop there after shows at the Cuckoo's Nest or when we came back from a gig in L.A.

R.I.P. Naugles

Naugles. There was one right across from my house. We hung out there ALL the time. The stupid thing was to cut the picture of Dick Naugle from the ticket, then paste it over your driver's licence. There were EPIC fights in the Naugles parking lot! EPIC!

But you are wrong about one thing: it was del taco who bought them out, resulting in the "macho" food items they still have.

Ahhh...Naugles. Their moto "Prepare Food Fresh, Serve Customers Fast, Keep Place Clean" was printed on each ticket (which came with your food) right next to a picture of founder Dick Naugle in his bow tie, walk up or drive thru. All of their fast food was very good. You had to have a Naugleburger or the 3 Giant Tacos on Tuesday for 99 cents. Top it off with a Root Beer Shake or Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae in a cup, awesome!

Other than that, I didn't like it that much...

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-01 10:43 pm   Permalink

There was an Oscars Drive-In on Midway in San Diego. My parents never took us there, even though we just lived up the hill on Rosecrans street. I was mesmerized by the awesome signage, fabulous building and skating girls that brought food to place on those aluminum trays perched on your car window.

Oscar's Drive-In isn't just about the food, it's about the nostalgia. If you were a teen in San Diego in the 50's or 60's you might remember Oscar's Drive-In.

In 1941 Foodmaker Co. opened a drive-in restaurant called Topsy's in San Diego. The drive-in restaurant concept with car hop service really caught on over the next several years. The San Diego climate with its many days of sunshine was the perfect place for restaurants of this sort. Topsy's was eventually expanded into four locations and renamed Oscar's. Oscar's Drive-In was very popular as a cruising place and a meeting place for the teens of San Diego County. They went there to cruise the parking lot, to socialize and of course, to eat.

Oscar's became a Southern California icon. Many people who were teens in San Diego in the 50's and 60's have fond memories of Oscar's Drive-In. Oscar's later evolved into Jack in the Box which featured drive though service instead of drive in.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 03:03 am   Permalink

I forgot about "Dixie Cream’s Donut's" until it came up in a conversation today.

I hear you can still get "Kool Pop's" but I have not seen them in some years.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 1:24 pm   Permalink

Much like Tiki Bars, Farrells Ice Cream Parlors disappeared from the landscape but appear to be reemerging. There will be one opening soon in Buena Park near Knott's Berry Farm...

PE Bloggers: Farrells
Farrells Locations: Buena Park, CA

Maybe someday, we may see the reemergence of...
Wil Wrights Ice Cream Parlor
Helms Bakery Delivery Trucks?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation