Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food (Ginger) Snap Liquor
(Ginger) Snap Liquor
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 2:25 pm   Permalink

Anyone try this yet? It got a small write up in the Nov/Dec issue of Imbibe. Seems like a natural in spicy tropicals, but I haven't had a chance to fool around with it yet. I just picked it up while in Dallas, as it is, of course, impossible to find in Canada!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 7:51 pm   Permalink

Darn! Ginger is one of my favourite flavours.
I'd like to know how it is too!

I have a bottle of Purdy's Chocolates' ginger syrup I use in drinks every now and then.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-23 10:18 pm   Permalink

I know Hiphipahula was mixing up some tiki cocktails with Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 11:13 pm   Permalink

Kahuna Kevin uses the Domaine De Canton in three drinks in his new book. I had some bartenders make the 'Doodle Bug' for me a few weeks ago and I, and they, loved it.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 09:00 am   Permalink

If you love ginger definitely try Drunkenstein's Bride from my second book. I also use pressed ginger juice for drinks in both volumes.

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 2:19 pm   Permalink

This is different from a ginger brandy or ginger liqueur like Canton or Giffard Ginger of the Indies (which I use). It's meant to capture the essence of ginger snap cookies. It's dark and viscous in the glass, has strong notes of ginger and molasses on the nose, and has a good spicy bite with ginger and allspice yet is surprisingly dry on the palate. It's actually not unlike allspice dram and would probably make an interesting substitution. Being that I just finished a six-day bender (AKA trade show) I haven't been overly eager to get behind the ol' bar, although I'm looking forward to experimenting with this stuff. Seems it's pretty new on the market. Here's a recipe that sounds good from a little booklet that comes hanging on the neck of the bottle:
Ginger Rye
1 oz Snap
1 oz rye
1/2 oz orange juice
1/2 oz honey
2-3 dashes Fee Bros. Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters
Shake with cracked ice. Says to pour into a chilled highball glass, but I think a small rocks glass would be more appropriate.
Here's another one from Imbibe (Nov/Dec issue):
Snap Swizzle
3/4 oz aged rum
1 1/4 oz Snap
1/2 oz cinnamon syrup
10-12 fresh mint leaves
Muddle mint, mix liquids, strain into collins glass filled with crushed ice and swizzle.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 2:21 pm   Permalink

If you love ginger definitely try Drunkenstein's Bride from my second book. I also use pressed ginger juice for drinks in both volumes.

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-25 1:17 pm   Permalink

Ok, fine, I'll try it already!

[ This Message was edited by: Brandomoai 2012-01-25 13:19 ]

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation