FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » M-modern and Sven Kirsten present: THE CONTEMPORARY IDOL - Palm Springs, Feb.17th
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
M-modern and Sven Kirsten present: THE CONTEMPORARY IDOL - Palm Springs, Feb.17th
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 1:22 pm   Permalink

Sven A. Kirsten invites You to contemplate:

THE CONTEMPORARY IDOL –
PRIMITIVE ART IN THE MODERN HABITAT

This exhibition pays homage to the enduring relationship between primitivism and modernism in the 20th Century. Not only was the inception of modern art inspired by the tribal arts, but beginning in the 50s, it became en vogue to juxtapose modernist environs with “primitive” carvings and wallhangings. One could even speak of a form of “anti-modernism”, the need to balance the antiseptic, clean lines of modern design with objects from the other end of the art spectrum, thus forming a Yin and Yang of esthetics.

I am happy to announce that this exhibit will open in conjunction with a solo show of new works by Bosko!

It will be a smashing opening for Modernism Week in Palm Springs!

Any participating artists, please feel free to post advance glimpses of your work for the show here.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-02-03 13:26 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-03 1:32 pm   Permalink

The show looks like the prefect way to start off one of my favorite weekends of the year. Really looking forward to this!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martini kings
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 3:34 pm   Permalink

Martini Kings just added to show! We always dig playing for sven and company!
If you never heard us before you can now download a track for .99 at
www.cdbaby.com

[ This Message was edited by: martini kings 2012-02-03 15:40 ]

View Profile of martini kings Send a personal message to martini kings  Email martini kings Goto the website of martini kings     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-03 4:34 pm   Permalink

Hot dang! It's time for a trip to Palm Springs!

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 7:38 pm   Permalink

So cool to be asked . Im dropping off my pieces tomorrow after work . See ya there .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 7:54 pm   Permalink

I love the modernism show been going for many many years! And one of the few things I don't drive 2 hours to!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-03 8:50 pm   Permalink

Wouldn't miss Sven's show for anything! Plus Bosko and Shag...Great night with some great art!

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 9:18 pm   Permalink

I BE THERE!

sooooo EXCITING!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-04 01:50 am   Permalink

Very honored to be a part of the show... mahalo Sven and good luck!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-04 5:35 pm   Permalink

Wouldn't miss it. Can't wait to see everyone there!

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-04 6:24 pm   Permalink

Sven, Looks great! Any pre-event news on the featured artists? I can already guess 5 of them.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-04 8:40 pm   Permalink

Fantastic, one more reason to leave early and get my snaps of Bombay Beach and Salton City and environs done so I can get into the Springs in time for this!

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 9:14 pm   Permalink

Sounds like an amazing show !!

But those high-brow modernists... Are they afraid to use the "T" word ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 09:47 am   Permalink

No, but to call this show a "Tiki" show would be limiting in this case: In my prompts for the artists I included African and abstract modern examples. Yes, this show will have a lot Oceanic art-inspired pieces in it, but the theme is more general mid-century modern "primitive art" than purely Polynesian pop Tiki.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 11:31 am   Permalink

congrats Sven,

gonna try to make it.
hope I catch a ride with someone,
don't trust my truck for the drive out there.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation