FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Beachcomber Lounge, Glasgow, Scotland (bar)
Beachcomber Lounge, Glasgow, Scotland (bar)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 9:35 pm   Permalink

Name:Beachcomber Lounge
Type:bar
Street:Newlands Hotel
City:Glasgow
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

I don't do a lot of research on vintage Tiki places over in Europe, but this one really caught my eye. The Beachcomber Lounge was part of a major remodel that occurred at the Newlands Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland. The date was 1973.

I found this article that had this great ad for the new bar - Tikis and Tiki drinks.

And a photo as well. No doubt inspired by the Mayfair Beachcomber in London and Butlins Beachcombers chain throughout the UK.

The hotel remodel included several different rooms, including the Windjammer Restaurant and Captain's Cabin bar.

Here is the description of the facilities.

And the firm that did the remodel.

Hopefully some of the TC members over in the UK can find out a little more about this place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 9:48 pm   Permalink

That Moai is wearing earrings and lipstick!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-04 04:15 am   Permalink

Great stuff,never seen that before.
There is no doubt about it Scotland loves Tiki Bars.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-04 08:34 am   Permalink

Well I've found that JOHN ALLAN AND SON (WRIGHTS) LIMITED went out of business on 19/05/2000

http://www.cdrex.com/john-allan-and-son-wrights-limited-5157006.html

and a small mention about the hotel closing to the relief of the neighbors.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-04 9:09 pm   Permalink

Some pictures of the Newlands Hotel after the "Farestage bar" was changed to "J J Booths"..

..with a quick check to google street view I can confirm the hotel is now demolished.

In my searching I discovered that a popular street gang from Glasgow in the 60/70s were called "Tiki". The name came from the Kon Tiki Cafe in Battlefield Road. Neither the cafe nor the gang exists, sadly for the former thankfully for the latter.

[ This Message was edited by: atomictonytiki 2012-02-04 21:11 ]

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 10:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-04 21:09, atomictonytiki wrote:
In my searching I discovered that a popular street gang from Glasgow in the 60/70s were called "Tiki". The name came from the Kon Tiki Cafe in Battlefield Road. Neither the cafe nor the gang exists, sadly for the former thankfully for the latter.

Whooa! Great discovery...that reminds of that amazing story of that Tiki murder in Liverpool...what ever became of that !?:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27841&forum=1

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-02-05 10:28 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation