[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Skateboard / Gope Board
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Skateboard / Gope Board
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-02-05 2:47 pm   Permalink

Kim and I painted a skateboard to look like a gope board.

At a garage sale, Kim purchased an old beat up skateboard for five bucks. After we scraped off the old decals, sanded off the old paint and filled in the wood chips, we were left with this:

Next we stained the wood and started to sketch the design:

Acrylic paint:

No need for perfect lines or perfect symmetry.

The white paint is complete:

Now for the trim:

Trim is complete:

After five coats of clear lacquer, the skateboard is done:

This skateboard will not be hanging on a wall, it's meant to be used:

So, has anyone done this the other way around by mounting skateboard trucks/wheels to an actual gope board? It would certainly look great but I suppose it might be considered offensive to anybody from certain parts of Papua New Guinea. Plus the wood might not be strong enough. I dunno... Oh! But if anybody does try it, remember, you heard it here first! *

* In regards to any gope boards converted to skateboards please note that I take no responsibility whatsoever for any injuries or deaths which may occur.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Screaming Lord Richie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-05 5:05 pm   Permalink

I have been skateboarding for almost 20 years! i would love a board like that... if you look hard enough you can find clear(See Through) Grip Tape. That would make it 100%

View Profile of Screaming Lord Richie Send a personal message to Screaming Lord Richie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-05 9:04 pm   Permalink

Great idea Hakalugi (I'm not not just sayin' that because you're site administrator ) Skateboards are just screamin' to be made into gope boards.

Edited for serious spelling problems

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-02-05 22:33 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 01:48 am   Permalink

awesome. This is PNG Pop !
Now, I think I might steal the idea someday (and say it was my original idea of course) !!

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 09:27 am   Permalink

Awesome job!

Is an ollie performed with the gope board called a "gollie?"

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 5:19 pm   Permalink

Ingenious!!

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 5:47 pm   Permalink

Makin Stuff! Haka, more more....

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 10:35 pm   Permalink

2 thumbs UP!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-02-07 10:43 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone! SLR, great suggestion on clear grip tape, perfect! I will track some down.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 11:32 am   Permalink

I've never heard of this being done Either way, but I like it!

Your sweetie won't be able to ride barefoot any more, but you could protect the paint job with some
clear grip tape.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 01:27 am   Permalink

cool! let's see another?

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-12 10:38 am   Permalink

Terrific. When I was a kid I painted THE BEATLES on my skateboard and thought that was so cool. I think yours are certainly cool. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anthonymaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-13 5:54 pm   Permalink

Pretty cool great idea

View Profile of anthonymaye Send a personal message to anthonymaye  Email anthonymaye Goto the website of anthonymaye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-24 08:03 am   Permalink

That is one of the best art ideas I have seen in a while. Been a couple years since I've been on my board.I might make my own and it could get me all motivatin' and skatin' again.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 3:12 pm   Permalink

So, I bumble around other crafts and find this thread. How cool! I did a couple boards myself. I know nothing about boards other than I found a couple and stripped them, painted one and did a sharpie drawing on the other. I hope you don't mind but here are mine.

This is done after the Luau 400 mask art which we've always liked. It is on the bottom of a regular looking board.

Don't have a clue what kind of board this is, was. I found just this piece of wood in a thrift. I stripped it and patched some of the real bad spots and then did a sharpie drawing of the Tiki Bob's Maori mug. This is on the top of the board so it might have to hang on a wall.

After the sharpie dried it was sprayed with several coats of a clear sealer.

Have you or anyone else done anymore? If you have please show us.

Thanks

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation