[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Aumakua Hai
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Aumakua Hai
notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-05 7:28 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

So, i've been building a tiki bar with Notch and Kahaka in my backyard here in San Jose, CA over the past months (started last summer,) so i figure i better start sharing. I'll begin last year in July.....

- First of all, i had no idea what i was going to build. All i did was carve out a 12'x24' corner of concrete patio in my backyard, and started to lay down wood and scribble drawings on paper when i had time at work. Here is the spot:

- Me and Notch brainstormed ideas on how it should look, and a lot of old tiki bars in Sven's books and on here were an inspiration. I knew i wanted A-frames. So, without any plans, i pre-fabricated the whole thing first and then took it all apart. Here are a couple pictures of the roof sections, which i figured out on the ground first. It's got two a-frames, and i wanted them to be cantilevered.

Here's the big a-frame:

Here's the small a-frame:

- While i was fabricating how the roof lines would look, Notch started carving the up posts. All wood in this bar is carved... pretty much everything. Notch did about 90% of the carvings, and i taught myself how to do it as well by copying what i saw Notch doing. I did most of the burning, and my wife and I did the staining with our own mixture of stains.

Here's some of the up posts:

- After Notch carved and we burnt, stained, I began to build:

- For flooring, i laid mahogany in a ships deck pattern. Then i started to fabricate the bar on one side. Again, had no drawings, just knew i wanted it to curve:

I'll continue to update this post as i find more pictures. BTW: This project is almost done at this point, so i've got a lot of catching up to do....

Hope you enjoy....

-scott noteboom

View Profile of notebooms Send a personal message to notebooms  Email notebooms Goto the website of notebooms     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 7:30 pm   Permalink

Serious project Scott! Nice bones! (Kinda got a sore neck with the sideways pics, but worth it.)

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 7:36 pm   Permalink

Rotate your pictures!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-05 7:38 pm   Permalink

i'll be sure to rotate my pictures on next round of update. sorry, tight on time and moving too fast....

-scott noteboom

View Profile of notebooms Send a personal message to notebooms  Email notebooms Goto the website of notebooms     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 7:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks, I know if you have Notch helping this will rock!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 1:11 pm   Permalink

This looks like its going to be an awesome build. Loving the A frame style and all. Looking forward to the progress

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
simplydlacruz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-10 09:04 am   Permalink

I'm anxious to see the progress too. Keep the pix coming!

View Profile of simplydlacruz Send a personal message to simplydlacruz  Goto the website of simplydlacruz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 11:22 am   Permalink

He's definitely holdin' back... I tell you what...

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 11:23 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: KAHAKA 2012-02-11 12:02 ]

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-19 6:55 pm   Permalink

- BAR: I made a custom curved shaped bar top from naturally shaped redwood slabs that i got out of the local mountains in the santa cruz mountains. It's about 4" thick and 19-24" wide. I carved the upper posts between the panels. I've added diamond shaped lit tapa panels to each section. NOTE: i still need to trim all this out with bamboo.

Notice lamp hanging in the background, made by my good pal Woody (Kahaka here on tikicentral.)

-scott noteboom

[ This Message was edited by: notebooms 2012-02-19 18:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: notebooms 2012-02-19 18:56 ]

notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-19 7:02 pm   Permalink

Here's some more lamps:

- the one on the far lamp was an old bamboo lamp that Notch spotted at an antique store here in San Jose. I bought it and lit it red, added fish net and rope trip to the bottom.

- the next one over is made by Roge Bodine, who has had some of his lamps posted here. I added the tapa panel on the bottom of the lamp (trimmed in bamboo) to diffuse the light better.

- next lamp is made from an old lucite-type dome that i found. turned it into a hanging lamp-- looks like a alien planet!

- next is a red fish float lamp that i built. it's hanging on the very top of the big a-frame and is visible from the next street over behind my house.

- next is an old green / hello "swag" lamp that was found on ebay.

-scott noteboom

notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-19 7:04 pm   Permalink

Here's a pic of the Roge lamp close up. LIke i said above, i added the tapa panel to further diffuse light.

You can see that the ceiling of my entire bar is covered with tapa. You can also see that Notch started to trim out with some bamboo and rope up there...

-scott noteboom

notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-19 7:06 pm   Permalink

Kahaka made the two lamps on the left. I turned the puffer fish into a light.

-scott noteboom

notebooms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-19 7:07 pm   Permalink

forgot to mention. I did the flooring in a ships deck style, using mahogany:

-scott noteboom

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-19 7:10 pm   Permalink

This is really going to turn out nice with some great lighting ambiance...great job!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation