[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Mai tikis vs Stonetikis.com
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mai tikis vs Stonetikis.com
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 1:08 pm   Permalink

Good points, Swanky!

If someone took that photo and carved a tiki from it - slice for slice - ..... and even had the audacity to put his own name where that guy usually puts his .... well, that deserves a swift kick in the onions!

But there has to be levels of latitude for the commonalities of tiki carving ... that nose looks like some I've seen before ... did he copy it from someone else's work? Those teeth look like the same teeth I've seen on hundreds of tikis, why can't he be ORIGINAL? Why can't he strive to be DIFFERENT? ... there's only so much one can do to design a never before seen set of chompers! .... I will give him this, the eyes he puts on his logs are unique and after having seen this topic, I would now question a tiki that I saw with eyes like that.

Blatent duplication of someone's work is not right and I don't blame the guy if that is what he is finding ... but that doesn't mean "similarities" as a part of someone's carve should be ballooned into a blanket statement that one's work is being "ripped off!"

Have a Great Day!

CJ Tropical Tiki FACEBOOK page

openingdaymedia.net

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 3:07 pm   Permalink

Whatever. In my world there aren't any good excuses for treating nice people like shit, so no, I would never act like that regardless of how many people copied my stuff.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 03:27 am   Permalink

"I like big teeth I can't deny"....

The Coombs has many many stories revolving around being a total tool towards people.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 07:59 am   Permalink

I know Wayne is a hard ass. So I suggest steering clear of this very touchy subject with him. And if it comes up, don't discus it either. Too many people were "inspired" by Wayne and started selling Wayne style rip offs over in Tampa or wherever.

But, before Wayne did it, there were no "Jimmy Carter" tikis out there. If you have seen a hundred of them out there, it is because 100 guys have copied his very populate style.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-12 06:36 am   Permalink

well, just know that some of us here in Tampa are doin' our own thing brother!

And I don't ever plan on engaging him on the subject of tikis (or anything else for that matter) ever again, so I doubt it will "come up".

But hey, on a separate note, I really don't like being a hater, and I still respect the guy despite my bad encounter with him. He is one of the main dudes in Florida, period. I used to live & surf in Cocoa Beach, and his work is one of the main things that inspired me to start doing my own, period.

And I also have to admit, my bad encounter with him may have been what inspired me most. I left his shop PISSED...and told myself "F this guy...I'm going to do better stuff than him someday". It still drives me. So I guess maybe I owe him more than I want to admit.

Mahalos to all, Wayne too. Now I'd better get my a$$ over to the Tahitian and get back to work.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation