FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food new source for guava, mango and papaya juice
new source for guava, mango and papaya juice
old band alum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-11 07:08 am   Permalink

I have found a new source for guava, mango or papaya juice. Although there are several brands of guava rum or mango rum sometimes I only want to use a small quantity and mix them with silver or gold rum. I went to my local grocery store and picked up a few cans of Kern's Guava Nectar, Kern's Mango Nectar and Jumex Papaya-Pineapple Nectar. Try them and tell me what you think.

View Profile of old band alum Send a personal message to old band alum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-13 06:33 am   Permalink

If you want to get more natural flavor than can be provided by any of the "nectars" then you should try the various frozen pulps by Goya. The pulps are ... pulpy, so unless you like the extra fiber (which I do), you might want to strain them after thawing. Nectars have so much other crap in them they taste like preservatives with a hint of fruit.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-13 10:27 am   Permalink

I use the frozen Passion Fruit pulp to make my own passion fruit syrup but I don't strain it - the tiny bits in the syrup adds an air of 'freshness' to whatever drink I'm making with it. I also make it with ready-prepared natural sugar syrup (cold) and mix them together in equal proportions and add a splash of Wray & Nephew overproof (to retard the nasties), bottle it and store in the fridge along with my honey mix, cinnamon sugar syrup, all-natural simple syrup, pommegranate syrup and orgeat.

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 5:02 pm   Permalink

If you have access to them, the La Fe brand of frozen pulp is even better than Goya.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-18 06:15 am   Permalink

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, La Fe's frozen passion fruit pulp was pulled from the stores in my area last year. Strangely, La Fe's other frozen fruit pulps (guava, papaya, etc.) are still available. I think there was a salmonella scare/recall involving frozen passion fruit around the same time the La Fe brand was pulled here, which would explain that.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-18 5:42 pm   Permalink

I try to stick with juices made without corn.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-21 6:30 pm   Permalink

what's the recipe you all use for passionfruit syrup using the frozen pulp?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-21 6:44 pm   Permalink

Thaw, strain if you like, and mix resulting liquid with an equal measure of 1:1 simple syrup. Easy peasy.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-21 7:14 pm   Permalink

thanks. will try out tonite.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 05:37 am   Permalink

very tasty.

i messed up though with the blender and got too much air whipped into it though, making more of a passionfruit foam than a syrup. hopefully some time in the fridge will settle it down.

Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-22 4:38 pm   Permalink

Yeah, no need to use a blender. Just combine defrosted pulp and simple in a container and shake. Over time, the syrup will separate, but another quick shake will mix it again.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 7:47 pm   Permalink

thanks, i was too impatient to thaw so had to blend. next time though...

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 7:53 pm   Permalink

I put my frozen passion fruit pulp in the microwave oven and thaw it quickly for a few seconds and then mix it with sugar syrup.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation