FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food what brand of brandy do you use in your scorpion and other tiki drinks
what brand of brandy do you use in your scorpion and other tiki drinks
old band alum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-11 07:19 am   Permalink

What brand or type of brandy should I use in tiki drinks such Scorpion or Fog Cutter. I would like a few names of common brands that I might be able to find locally instead of rare brands.

View Profile of old band alum Send a personal message to old band alum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kid_dynamo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-11 08:45 am   Permalink

I have a half full bottle of korbel brandy laying around since we made our last batch of brandied cherries, so I use that in my 'well' drinks, but if I'm feeling fancy I will put in some Courvoisier VS.

I'm more of a rye and rum man though, so I'm not the best person to ask about brandy.

View Profile of kid_dynamo Send a personal message to kid_dynamo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-11 08:48 am   Permalink

I use Korbel VSOP, I like it and it works well in my Fog Cutters.

Cheers,
Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 10:37 am   Permalink

I just use Paul Masson VSOP, about $17/1.75L. IMO, the finer qualities of a high-end brandy are overwhelmed by the other ingredients in a Scorpion, anyway.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-11 12:54 pm   Permalink

Korbel, Christian Brothers, E&J VSOP...if I'm making a scorpion I don't typically reach that high up on the shelf.

Kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 1:51 pm   Permalink

Another vote for Paul Masson VSOP. It's a good value mixing brandy that punches above its weight. Don't use a good Cognac, its subtleties will be completely lost in a Scorpions Bowl.

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-11 13:52 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-12 02:30 am   Permalink

E&J VSOP, I'm not big into brandy and it gets the job done for mixing up Suffering Bastards and Fogcutters.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-12 08:13 am   Permalink

Raynal VSOP is an excellent choice -- good enough to drink on its own, but cheap enough to mix.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-12 10:07 am   Permalink

Martell VS. It also "punches above its weight" in other cocktails or sipped from a snifter. Ridiculous value, too. The Raynal suggestion is also a sound one, and Hennessy VS is also great.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-12 10:08 am   Permalink

Martell VS. It also "punches above its weight" in other cocktails or sipped from a snifter. Ridiculous value, too. The Raynal suggestion is also a sound one, and Hennessy VS is also great.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation