FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food where can I buy St James Royal Amber Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
where can I buy St James Royal Amber Rum
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 04:57 am   Permalink

Boo! I was really hoping this was just a nasty rumor and a temporary supply issue that wiuld have been cleared up by now. I also developed quite a fondness for the Royal Ambre and it's very reasonable price point.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 08:50 am   Permalink

Don't know if I should be ecstatic, or sheepishly hang my head in shame, or just shut up and keep this to myself... Actually, I must share this because it may help others on their quest. I just found the last bottle of Rhum St. James Royal Ambre Extra Old at one liquor shop in the midwest. So it's still out there, you just gotta call stores in out-of-the-way places. And do some Google searches. There is hope, and those who look may have a pretty good chance of finding more.

I really like this stuff for Mai Tais. A friend of mine really enjoys sipping this stuff neat, although I'll have to sit down and try it that way. I have really only mixed with it and haven't really sat down to sip it neat. It has a very pleasant aroma.

During my online quest this morning I visited the St. James web site. It's all in French, but if you know a bit about the language, you can find a number of cocktail recipes on their site.

I'm very happy but at the same time very sad for others who also enjoy this Martinique spirit. I'm going to keep looking for other sources. There is no indication that it's out of production, it's just not available in the US. There must be a way to find it out of the country. My usual sources have come up empty so far.

It's the Great St. James Hunt! Get those dialing fingers working - good luck to all!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 09:11 am   Permalink

It definitely looks like it's no longer being imported into the U.S. So if you have even a mild interest in it and happen to spot a bottle on the shelf, I'd snap it up. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 09:34 am   Permalink

Ace, the Extra Old makes a fantastic 'Ti Punch Vieux. 2 oz rhum, the end slice of a lime squeezed and dropped in and 0.5-1 tsp. cane syrup, stirred and taken without ice (my preference) or with just an ice cube or two. I will drink that all day.

I also love the stuff sipped neat. Ditto for all the St. James products, including Royal Ambre.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 10:35 am   Permalink

I like the ambre bc its an inexpensive, though not overly smooth, martinique rum. i will probably sub Barbancourt...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 10:36 am   Permalink

Those of you who are fans of the St. James -- do you like it better than Rhum Clement?

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 10:45 am   Permalink

I usually went with Royal Ambre over Clement because it was usually about $15 less. I think Clement is more refined but not worth the extra money for me, especially when the rough vegetal agricole edge is something you want to come through in a cocktail.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-21 10:36, djmont wrote:
Those of you who are fans of the St. James -- do you like it better than Rhum Clement?

David, I'm going to do a side-by-side taste test and will post my thoughts here. Please hunt me down and kill me if I come back with "notes of strawberry, hints of bacon, pears, etc." or some such bs! hahahaha...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 11:57 am   Permalink

I would compare the Hors D'Age closer to Clement. I personally like the St James better. Haven't opened my Ambre yet, but I am excited to.

You can also post your thoughts on Martinique rums on this thread...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46133&forum=10&50

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 1:48 pm   Permalink

I was just think of that 'best martinque rum' thread & that I posted my thoughts on Saint James Rhum Vieux Vs Clement VSOP. I really rate them both.

I had a bottle of SJ Amber previously - it's like a rougher version of the Rhum Vieux. If you can I would move upscale & get some SJ Rhum Vieux - I do mix it but also sip it now-a-days.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 5:13 pm   Permalink

I just checked the bunker, and I've got 1 bottle of Ambre and 1 of Hors d'Age. I guess I better horde it now...

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 5:40 pm   Permalink

How much does the Ambre go for regularly? I have never seen it, except in the Virgin Islands. I grabbed the Ambre for $16.99 and the Blanc for 12.99.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2014-07-21 17:41 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 5:53 pm   Permalink

i've always seen it around 19 - 21 bucks.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 7:03 pm   Permalink

Yep, $20 when the ABC chain finally started carrying it, and more like $23 before that.

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 7:05 pm   Permalink

Has anyone ever tried 10 CANE as a substitution for an agricole in a mai tai?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation