FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki History - Vintage Photos of Sam's Seafood!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki History - Vintage Photos of Sam's Seafood!
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 6:49 pm   Permalink

If you look real close at the Menu, for the Zombie drink, it says( limit 2) how funny.

you'd think that would be something you would see in todays PC times.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-31 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-30 18:49, bigtikidude wrote:
If you look real close at the Menu, for the Zombie drink, it says( limit 2) how funny.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This was fairly common in tropical drink menus for the zombie. I think Don The Beachcomber set the 2-drink limit originally.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-03-31 11:37 am   Permalink

On 2006-03-30 18:49, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[/quote]

This was fairly common in tropical drink menus for the zombie. I think Don The Beachcomber set the 2-drink limit originally.
[/quote]
I have always wondered if the "limit two" was more marketing than reality. Did a bartender REALLY allow a customer only two max? I figured it was a marketing gimmick so that the customer would think "wow, a limit of two, they MUST be strong!! I think I will get some of those!"

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-03-31 11:55 am   Permalink

Yes, I think the "limit 2 per customer" was part gimmick, and part being funny, more so then any real rule. People have such different tolerances to alchohol. I bet if Orson Welles drank 2 zombies if Don the Beachcomber he acted totally normal, vs. someone petite like Bette Davis, who probably could barely handle 2.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 5:47 pm   Permalink

My dad said there was a bar in San Jose back in the late 60's that siad if you wanted more than 1 of a certain drink, you had to finish the one you had, walk over to a wall 30 feet away, turn around and come back. Then you could order another if you didn't fall down. and so on for each drink. Most couldn't do mre than 2.
I'll have to ask him what drink it was.
he saw many people fall flat on thier faces.
GOOD TIMES!! ha
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-04-03 6:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-03 17:47, bigtikidude wrote:
My dad said there was a bar in San Jose back in the late 60's that said if you wanted more than 1 of a certain drink, you had to finish the one you had, walk over to a wall 30 feet away, turn around and come back. Then you could order another if you didn't fall down. and so on for each drink. Most couldn't do mre than 2.
I'll have to ask him what drink it was.
he saw many people fall flat on their faces.
GOOD TIMES!! ha
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, please ask your dad if he rememembers the name of the drink AND the bar! Great story!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2006-04-03 18:08 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 6:50 pm   Permalink

Sorry My bad, storys change in your head over the years.
It was a friend of my Dad that had gone to Hawaii back in the early 70's.
The Drink was called a Catamaran. He could only have another( after he walked over to a Piano and back) , He only made it halfway back and hit the floor.

Anybody had a Catamaran?
what's in the recipe?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-26 08:26 am   Permalink

Hey Jeff....I think the other Sam's location was in Corona Del Mar , and I have an old ashtray from the Royal Hawaiian showing a second location in Anaheim. I recently found these "planters" at an L.A. antique store.

The brown fogcutter mug as seen on the shelf in Sam's gift shop, also as seen in the Tahitian Village menu below. No markings on the mug itself.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-04-26 09:22 am   Permalink

Wonderful finds there, Bongofury!

I can't help feeling that only a Tikiphile would be attracted to those mugs, but knowing their history, they're absolutely beautiful to me!

Thanks for the update.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 1:59 pm   Permalink

I love the cars parked in front.
So what is a "Food Spa"?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 3:09 pm   Permalink

Well, for that matter, what the hell is a "sea food cocktail"? Shrimp cocktail? Martini with mussels?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 3:32 pm   Permalink

I remember a few years back seeing a liquor decanter for Sam's. Has any one seen or have one of these things?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 4:00 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-03-14 12:02 ]

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-12 06:01 am   Permalink

This just in...
Hi Chris,

Thought you might like to know, there will be a meeting at Sam's Wednesday the 12th at 6pm from a consulting firm hired by the landlord to consider demolishing Sam's, rebuilding it with generic retail spaces with condo's above them and underground parking. This is not involving the city yet but we feel the landlord is obviously testing the waters. We found out by receiving a letter in today's mail addressed to "resident". Any support you could bring in opposition to this horrible possibility would be greatly appreciated. First MaiTai's on me!

Best regards,

Chuck Purrington
Managing Partner
Sam's Huntington Beach

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation