FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Volcano Bowl???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Volcano Bowl???
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 5:23 pm   Permalink

Ok everyone, prepare to witness my ignorance in all things Tiki. I haven't had a chance to go book searching yet, but I'm intrigued by the Volcano bowls I see pictured on the internet.

What exactly are they for and what is the purpose of the raised area in the middle.

(standing back to duck the flying fruit spears)

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 6:13 pm   Permalink

A Scorpion, or Kava Bowl, or Krakatoa (or a volcano), or any of those communal drinks, usually. You put a little 151 rum in the volcano well and light it up for the presentation...sort of "fire and ice".

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-13 8:40 pm   Permalink

Instead of lighting 151 rum (watch those eyebrows!), some people will use a little dry ice or light a rum soaked sugar cube in the volcano. The rest of the bowl holds a communal drink fit for 2 to 4. It's a cool (there's that word again--make that zazz?) social tiki experience, much more practical than throwing the local virgin in a lava pit.

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 9:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info guys! Now at least I know what those great lookin' bowls are for. Of course, it will put a big damper in the virgin sacrificing. Drats!!

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-15 11:44 pm   Permalink

The best flame is with a crouton soaked in lemon extract. That's what they do at the Bahooka. Much more visible and taller.

Use PLAIN croutons!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 10:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

martiki6 wrote:
The best flame is with a crouton soaked in lemon extract.

Martiki~
Will any brand of lemon extract do or do you recommend a specific one?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 11:55 am   Permalink

Good question SCD, the stuff I bought a while ago was real expensive for a tiny bottle. So, what's the best?

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-16 12:20 pm   Permalink

I've had good results with Smart and Final's house brand of extract. It works great(since it's mostly alcohol) and it comes in a large bottle. (about 12 or 16 oz). Maybe $5. I haven't been able to find it in the one gallon size that the Bahooka uses (maybe at Costco?) but I've set a lot of drinks on fire and I haven't finished my bottle yet.

Flame on!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 2:50 pm   Permalink

If you guys want a really good flame try rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol in the volcano center. It makes a great orange and blue flame that is just about the right height- and you don't have to remove a burnt crouton afterward.

The stuff only costs $0.69 a bottle- just make sure it doesn't spill into the drink, rubbing alcohol can be somewhat toxic if you drink it!

Flame ON!!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 6:30 pm   Permalink

WOW!! I must say you guys are a wealth of info.

Personally, I find the idea of drinking something while a fire burns in the middle a bit scary. Not that I'm scared of fire, but what my relatives might do. I have an image of a bunch of burned baseball caps and singed eyebrows.

SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-17 01:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

littlegiles wrote:
...I have an image of a bunch of burned baseball caps and singed eyebrows.

I not only had an image of a burnt pomp...I lived it!

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-17 07:24 am   Permalink

SugarCaddyDaddy,
I read my boyfriend the account of your smoking pompadour and he laughed 'til there were tears rolling down his cheeks. NOW he understands why I'm hooked on TC. He's even asked me to help make some tiki art for the office in his trailer park.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-17 12:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-16 14:50, TikiHula wrote:

The stuff only costs $0.69 a bottle- just make sure it doesn't spill into the drink, rubbing alcohol can be somewhat toxic if you drink it!

Flame ON!!

But...but mine smells lemony fresh! (until it burns)

So...fuck you TikiHula! Fuck you!

------> <-------

FLAME ON!!!

TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 10:05 am   Permalink

SUCH LANGUAGE!!
Is that the same mouth you kiss your mother with?

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-18 10:13 pm   Permalink

No, it's the mouth I kiss your momma with!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation