Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki hula lamps
hula lamps
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 6:00 pm   Permalink

I saw a cool hula lamp (the kind that actually hula) yesterday at Whaler's Village in Lahaina. Unfortunately they wanted $1,600+ clams for it - that's a little too steep for me, even after a good week at the craps tables (how do you think I ended up in Maui?).

Anyone know of a good, cheap(er) online source for these?

Aloha,

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 10:42 pm   Permalink

vic,

Maui is full of those lamps. New, old, moving and not. Generally they are overpriced trying to make a buck from an uneducated tourist. Also stores like to keep them on their shelves just for the looks. if they sold them for what you can buy them for on e-bay, they would wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.

Note: you can get the hula mechanism fixed on non working lamps by most watch repair shops. So buy the broken ones and get them fixed, you'll save hundreds!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 11:10 pm   Permalink

Here's the best source for those lamps... www.aloha-dreams.com . Although still pricey at $600 (still $1k less) - this is about as inexpensive as you'll find these lamps anywhere.
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-14 03:35 am   Permalink

Waikiki.com sells motion hula lamps for $74.99. Don't know about the quality though.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-14 07:21 am   Permalink

Try these guys for good deals

https://www.konadigital.com/HawaiianExpress/index.htm

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-14 09:09 am   Permalink

You can get what I think are the best reproductions of the vintage lamps at:
http://hulalamps.com/
Again, not cheap, but the quality can't be beat... Or keep scouring the antique shops and flea markets. I have actually come across a couple in the past few years.

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-15 12:27 pm   Permalink

I love those old lamps but am not too fond of the newer painted ones. The originals fetch a very high price. I was told by a dealer once that there are three styles of the vintage one, arms down, one arm down one on head and the most rare is the one with both arms raised.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 2:36 pm   Permalink

I have one of the ones from the late 40's and was one of the harder ones to redo electrically, since the cord had to be carefully passed through the motor that sways the hips, but was well worth the sweat. I have rewired an all brass~raised arm one and the motor worked STILL on that one too. I'll take a picture and will post soon.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation