FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Does anyone have good uses for Trader Vic's dark rum?
Does anyone have good uses for Trader Vic's dark rum?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 05:40 am   Permalink

bought a bottle last night for the first time, and found it to be... atrocious.

it tastes like a mix of Bacardi Select and Bailey's Irish Cream. seriously, Trader Vic's, WTF?

used it to make a couple of Hurricanes, they turned out kinda lousy.

so, anybody got a good use for this stuff?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-22 07:21 am   Permalink

I had same reaction the first (and only) time I bought it, too. I think I ended up using for baking rum cakes.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 09:20 am   Permalink

Dooooode, really???? There has to be some college kids near you that can mix it with Coke.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 10:26 am   Permalink

Sadly, the rums, and mixers for trader vics went way down in quality around 5 years ago.
when they switched the mixer bottles to plastic if I recall correctly.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 11:21 am   Permalink

Sadly, this would not even make a good "Molotov Cocktail"

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 6:57 pm   Permalink

All the TV rums are terrible. Its a shame really....

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 7:27 pm   Permalink

Great News-- Total Wine let me return the opened bottle of Trader Vic's and exchange it for a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal!!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:24 pm   Permalink

In this thread, Martiki (Martin Cate) confirmed that TV's rums are made by Cruzan. they are bought in bulk, minimally aged, and the 'dark' rums are heavily colored with caramel:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33767&forum=10

TV's rums are the same kind of dreck that you will find being sold in plastic 1.75ml bottles on the bottom shelf of every liquor store under names like Paramount, Barton, Heaven Hill, Ronrico, etc. Buyer beware. The quality of TV's rums (or the lack thereof) just proves what Beachbum Berry said about the TV Corp in a recent interview:

"You've previously said you felt Trader Vic's legacy has been 'crapped on'. Why and by whom?

I said that about Trader Vic's [the restaurant group] because of the drinks. They are falling down on the job. I understand that they are expensive to make, but Vic was a quality control fanatic and God help you if you turned in anything less than a perfect drink in any of his 20 restaurants across the world. Today I don't see that quality control, they are not using the rums he would specify. I was in Atlanta recently and you don't get aged Martinique rum, or aged Jamaican rum in your Mai Tai - instead they use cheap well rums. I don't see the same attention paid to his recipes, but the hotel prices haven't dropped. I have enormous respect for Vic but being honest it does bother me when I have a Trader Vic drink and it's not what it used to be."

http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2011-12-20/page-3/tiki?seen=1

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-23 20:30 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:42 pm   Permalink

I'd also like to add that I'm really tired of sloppy drinks too. I suspect that Vic would have been upset if a drink was sloshed all around making the coaster/napkin wet and the glass and bar sticky. Honestly, if I'm going to spend $11 for a drink, it would be nice if the drink, my fingers and the napkin didn't stick . . . I'm personally willing to wait for perfection.

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 9:06 pm   Permalink

I've had some lower shelf rums supposedly made by cruzan that were pretty decent.

this TV stuff though, was like Irish cream with black food dye added. yux!

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 6:43 pm   Permalink

Cleaning my pipes. Yes, it is great for that.

Seriously, I'm not kidding.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation