FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food anybody have a good non-alcoholic substitute for rum?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
anybody have a good non-alcoholic substitute for rum?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 7:54 pm   Permalink

I know, i know, it's tiki heresy, but I've given up cocktails for Lent, and it occurred to me that I might at least be able to enjoy the flavors of my favorite tiki drinks (esp., navy grog) if I can only come up with a workable non-alcoholic susbtitute for the rums.

I understand that there are pure and artificial rum extracts out there, but the McCormick's brand that is readily available has a high alcohol content, which rules it out.

any ideas?

I was thinking coca-cola with a little molasses added might work for dark rum...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:02 pm   Permalink

Have you checked out any of the 'virgin' (N/A) drinks in Beachbum Berry's books? Personally, I'm giving up bourbon, scotch, rye, brandy & beer for Lent. That pretty much leaves rum.....

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:41 pm   Permalink

My wife is pregnant so I've had some experience trying to virginize some tiki drinks. The best substitute I have found is Perrier mineral water. I sub it ounce for ounce. It has a slight bitter taste that helps cut some of the sweetness. You also need to adjust the honey/rock candy syrups to get a good balance.

I also second the idea to utilize beachbum's NA drinks. The mint squash is the best - I can post a recipe if you need. The best thing I can say is that it doesn't taste like anything is missing. It is a great drink.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:46 pm   Permalink

Monin puts out a "Caribbean Rum" flavored syrup. Nothing will be a perfect substitute for rum, itself, but you might give it a shot.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:47 pm   Permalink

Just a thought, how about heating the rum to evaporate off the alcohol? The boiling point of ethyl alcohol is 172F, perhaps at that temp is would boil of the alcohol without boiling of the flavor or the water. You could add purified water afterwards to bring it back to it's original volume. Safety would be an issue too.

PS - no fair standing over the pan to inhale the fumes

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:47 pm   Permalink

Monin puts out a "Caribbean Rum" flavored syrup. Nothing will be a perfect substitute for rum, itself, but you might give it a shot.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:57 pm   Permalink

Easy Tom . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:59 pm   Permalink

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . . sorry made me laugh. You're serious . . .

Aloha and okole maluna!

The Blue Kahuna

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2012-02-23 21:00 ]

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 9:02 pm   Permalink

Tom, best i can tell the Monin product is not available in US market...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 9:03 pm   Permalink

Gabby, that sounds cool if you don't mind...

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 9:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-23 21:02, thePorpoise wrote:
Tom, best i can tell the Monin product is not available in US market...

I've bought it here:

http://www.surfaslosangeles.com/about

They have a wide range of Monin syrups you don't commonly see at brick-and-mortar stores. It's a great place to get lost in. Sort of a gourmet cooking supply warehouse...

I used the rum syrup to make some mocktails for my 4-year-old.

Again, I'm not prepared to give up rum, but you might try it in a mocktail and see what you think.

Sorry about the double post earlier.

gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 9:36 pm   Permalink

Lemon Mint Squash

1 1/2 oz lemon mint syrup*
4 oz club soda
Dash Angostura Bitters (I left these out for the wife and it was still great)

*Lemon Mint Syrup (1 Pint)
Simmer 1 cup sugar, 1 cup lemon juice, the grated rind of 4 lemons, and 50 fresh mint leaves over medium heat. Remove from heat and cover for 15 minutes. Strain into a bottle through a fine mesh sieve. Keeps 2 to 4 days.

I just realized I used lemon zest when I made it - not sure if that is what he means by rind. I have also adjusted the recipe at times to make more or less syrup and it was fine.

Not as complex as some drinks but I really like it.

Also try the navy grog (my favorite too) with mineral water. With bitters, it is a pretty good NA drink.

gabbahey

[ This Message was edited by: gabbahey 2012-02-23 21:40 ]

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 10:01 pm   Permalink

Does commercially available rum flavoring have alcohol (or very much alcohol) in it?

Cause you could actually make up something pretty close with the rum flavoring; try the cake dept at your grocery.

I bet some of these supposed experts could be fooled by it... I'll have to try this sometime...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 10:01 pm   Permalink

Edited for double post

[ This Message was edited by: gabbahey 2012-02-23 22:12 ]

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 11:10 pm   Permalink

I'm fully prepared for my Lenten sacrifice. Only sugar cane based beverages for me.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation