FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food anybody have a good non-alcoholic substitute for rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
anybody have a good non-alcoholic substitute for rum?
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 06:02 am   Permalink

Zhena's Gypsy Tea Co makes a flavor called "Coconut Rum", which I've found has a "fruity" rum taste. I haven't yet tried brewing and cooling it for mocktails, but I'd be interested in seeing what it would do.

http://www.gypsytea.com/Coconut-Rum-P265.aspx

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 10:06 am   Permalink

WOW that actually looks tasty! Who would have thunk?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-24 10:19 am   Permalink

This is really a great topic! Although I gave up Lent for Lent, I too have friends and relatives who cannot drink for one reason or another. I attended a Beachbum Berry seminar a few years back at Hukilau in which he told a side anecdote about Don Beach once mixed a cocktail with no alcohol whatsoever. His friend tasted it and swore he could pick out at least 2 different rums in the flavor.

It would seem that, for dark rum, the flavor is gonna come from cane sugar and the oak tannins of the barrel it was aged in. The bite obviously comes from the alcohol content. Some darks also have a note that reminds me of maple syrup. So maybe you could start with something that uses maple syrup (high grade of course) and some other substance that could lend a level of oakiness (is that a word?) to the flavor. Perhapse some type of bitters?

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 1:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-23 20:47, MadDogMike wrote:
Just a thought, how about heating the rum to evaporate off the alcohol? The boiling point of ethyl alcohol is 172F, perhaps at that temp is would boil of the alcohol without boiling of the flavor or the water. You could add purified water afterwards to bring it back to it's original volume. Safety would be an issue too.

PS - no fair standing over the pan to inhale the fumes

That's what I was thinking.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 1:29 pm   Permalink

"I gave up drinking. Now I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle!"

--Dean Martin

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-29 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-23 21:30, Trader Tom wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-02-23 21:02, thePorpoise wrote:
Tom, best i can tell the Monin product is not available in US market...

I've bought it here:

http://www.surfaslosangeles.com/about

They have a wide range of Monin syrups you don't commonly see at brick-and-mortar stores. It's a great place to get lost in. Sort of a gourmet cooking supply warehouse...

I used the rum syrup to make some mocktails for my 4-year-old.

Again, I'm not prepared to give up rum, but you might try it in a mocktail and see what you think.

Sorry about the double post earlier.

There is now a Surfa's in Costa Mesa. It's a great gourmet food and cookware store if you've never been. There is even a cafe.
3309 Hyland Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
http://www.culinarydistrict.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-29 15:28 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-29 3:20 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks Lori, I didn't know they had opened one here
they have a nice selection of bar supplies also....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-30 10:10 am   Permalink

Seems like alcohol free rum extract is the place to start.

-Rev

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-01 1:06 pm   Permalink

Marijuana, Heroin, Cocaine should all work as a substitute.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation