FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts First Mug First Mold Progress: THE MOLD IS DONE!!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
First Mug First Mold Progress: THE MOLD IS DONE!!!!
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-26 03:31 am   Permalink

I read this with interest. I'm hoping all went well for you. If it didn't, it's only plaster. As long as your sculpt survives you can have a "do over".

We did the learn it on your own the hard way and you don't need to do it like that if you don't have to.

Anyway, hope it went well.

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-27 01:38 am   Permalink

Thanks Poptiki!

View Profile of Tiki Tonie Send a personal message to Tiki Tonie  Email Tiki Tonie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-27 03:13 am   Permalink

Tiki Tonie, Those are really nice images and I enjoyed reading your comments. You are doing a great job.

It would be nice to keep everything that you do on one thread.

Each time I add photos to mine I go back to page one. I go to the bottom of my first post and choose edit. I then update my title to what I'm currently posting with the days date. That way no one has to look for old posts that get lost when no one looks at them.

I'm looking forward to your next one. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-27 03:39 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-27 07:34 am   Permalink

Thanks Wendy! I'll be sure to do that. I'll hopefully be posting more tonight )

View Profile of Tiki Tonie Send a personal message to Tiki Tonie  Email Tiki Tonie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-27 09:36 am   Permalink

Very nice! Thanks for the photos, and thanks for sharing your "learning opportunities" (you call them "mistakes") with us. You may end up inspiring many more people to take up the fine craft of tiki-mug-making! Great work!

View Profile of KokoKele Send a personal message to KokoKele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-27 10:02 am   Permalink

Thank you KoKoKele! I absolutely positively could not have done it without you and Wendy and all the kind Tiki people on Tiki Central. Getting ready to start the next section!

KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-27 6:32 pm   Permalink

Our pleasure, I'm sure. Wendy is a rock star, so it's great that she's watching your progress and giving you tips. Keep it up, and thanks again for posting pics of your first experience. You are teaching at the same time you're learning, and that's awesome!

View Profile of KokoKele Send a personal message to KokoKele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-27 11:19 pm   Permalink

Thank you KoKoKele. It's very comforting knowing you two are following along coaching me through it. It really tones down the scare factor. I greatly appreciate the feedback and tips. By the way, how should I have make the side sections?

KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-28 08:21 am   Permalink

Regarding your undercut, I think you could have brought your clay about half-way up on that little bump before you poured your plaster the first time and you would have been okay and ended up with a four-piece - or maybe three piece? - mold. I might have placed the graining effect slightly higher on the bump to keep from creating a lock also, but not to worry. Don't forget that you can make keys after the plaster cures by digging into it with a melon scoop or some other tool, but your solution of putting keys in your wet plaster should work fine. You'll probably want to tool them a bit before your next pour.

I think you're on the right track. After all, a mold is just a thing to hold your slip in place. You'll have some seam lines to clean up, but that's par for the course.

Wendy will probably give you much better advice on this one. I've only done a few of these and she's done bunches, so this is all second nature to her.

Keep it up!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-29 07:42 am   Permalink

Hi Tiki Tonie, I have two things to show you about making the molds. First the easiest way to make a four piece mold is to make the top, flip it and make the bottom. Next turn it on its side and use a lot of mold soap and pore that side, then flip it and pour the other. See photo as I pull the clay out of one of the sides.

Next Sometimes you just can't get a mold right and you have to keep the plaster out of an undercut by filling it with clay. then after you pour you just re-sculpt the area.

Once out of the mold you can add clay too. Once you pour a mug you may see a hole from an air bubble. Make that hole larger until you see it all then fill it with clay. You can't fill a tiny hole with glaze it will always show.

Your are doing a wonderful job and I love your photos, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-29 08:42 am   Permalink

I sure wish I was a little more patient and waited for your tutorial. I opened my mold last night and a little piece broke off, that section that I said was going to give me trouble. I was hoping that I could just let it fill in with slip and re-sculpt it after, so that's good to hear that you can.

When you say, add clay to the slipped piece, is that the regular clay (out of the bag)?

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-29 08:49 am   Permalink

Hi Tiki Tonie, regular bag clay workes but it is better if it has more water content. So I put clay in a bag and then I pour in some slip and mush it up a bit. I keep it on hand all the time. It's possible to fix any project if you take the time. Wendy

I use a high grade mold plaster that is $36 per bag. I hope your choice will work well for you.

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-29 12:51 ]

KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-29 2:54 pm   Permalink

Yaaaay! Your first try and you got a winner! Way to go! Can't wait to see your first mug!

P.S.: You are now better at this than I am, so when I want to pour my next mold I'll be asking you for advice!

[ This Message was edited by: KokoKele 2012-02-29 14:56 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-29 3:27 pm   Permalink

Your mold looks really clean. Excellent. It takes 3 to 4 days in hot weather to dry out a mold. 4 to 7 in cold weather. If you put a high speed fan on it 24 hours a day (I do that) it will dry much faster.

The first time you pour have some clay ready to block leaks. Even perfect molds can leak. Or you can pour in some slip and then lay your mold on its side and turn it 360 degrees (roll it to each side). That will plug it also. Go slow to prevent air bubbles. I would just try it once to see if it does leak. Put the belts on as tight as you can do them.

Best wishes, Wendy

Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-29 3:58 pm   Permalink

Wendy - I used the same plaster so I'm super happy to hear it's a good brand. I live in Northern Cal, it's been so dry all winter, but the second I opened my mold of course a storm rolls in. Guess I better not complain about the rain because we need it, but looks like I better wait 7 days (how about 5 days) to pour my first mug.

That gives me time to make the other two molds anyway.

Thanks again for your tips. I ordered 10 lbs of clay that should be here today so I'll be set to plug any leaks.

If you think of anything else I need to know, by all means sock it to me!

KokoKele - You're hilarious!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation