[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A modest proposal --a question really
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
A modest proposal --a question really
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 9:53 pm   Permalink

Hi TC,

I live in Valencia, California a piece of Northern Los Angeles suburbia. Our biggest claim to fame is Six Flags Magic Mountain and Cal Arts. With Cal Arts in our backyard, you would think the entire town would be running with hipsters. So many graphic and visual artists graduated from Cal Arts and had to walk around town to buy their groceries. Notable alumni are: Eric Fischl (painter), John Lasseter (Pixar), Tim Burton, Michael Richards (Kramer from Sienfeld), and Paul Rubens (Pee Wee Herman), yet the entire town is full of squares.

Despite lack of culture of the squares, I still love this place and call it home.

Hypothetically speaking, if a tiki bar opened in Valenica would YOU come up here to have a drink once in a while? I realize that a bar needs a steady stream of customers --usually the locals, but in my case they're all squares, so I'm counting on Cal Arts. However, most of them are students thus money is tight.

If so, how often?

The vision for the bar would be similar to Tiki-Ti. It would be very small; probably a maximum capacity of 20-30 people. No beer, just tiki drinks. No hip hop, just exotica. Obviously, cool tiki art from Tiki Central artists. The goal is to be half as cool as Tiki-Ti. Come on, let's be honest, if a place could be half as cool as tiki-ti, then they already succeeded.

in summary:

1) Would you come up?
2) If so, how often?
3) Where are you from?

Thank you.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TTUMS

Posted: 2012-02-24 9:57 pm   Permalink

1) Would you come up?
I wouldn't. I would come down/south.

2) If so, how often?
We generally make it to So/Cal once a year.

3) Where are you from?
Seattle, WA area

View Profile of TTUMS Send a personal message to TTUMS  Email TTUMS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 9:57 pm   Permalink

Thank you for your honesty TTums

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-25 01:43 am   Permalink

Of course we should eat Irish Babies! Sorry wrong Modest Proposal

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-25 02:53 am   Permalink

Best of luck to you and your tiki bar! The world would be a better place with more of them, for sure. Some of us on Tiki Central, however don't even live in California. (Gasp!) Now, should you open one in Goshen, Indiana, I might become one of your regulars. I'll take the bar stool on the end, next to the cannibals tiki.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-25 06:45 am   Permalink

Interesting idea.

You could look into getting bands from Cal Arts to play there (what's the entertainment taxes like? San Diego just eliminated all of theirs) and draw them in that way, or have a wall/gallery of Cal Arts pieces people could buy with some alumni work too? Or do any sort of events there, anything to pull the kids in. Low priced before-7 drinks? Movie/animation night?

If there were some cool events a LOT of TC people would show up.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-02-25 07:38 am   Permalink

1) Would you come up? - Yes!
2) If so, how often? - Probably once every 6 weeks.
3) Where are you from? - Los Angeles.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-25 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-25 07:38, Bora Boris wrote:
1) Would you come up? - Yes!
2) If so, how often? - Probably once every 6 weeks.
3) Where are you from? - Los Angeles.

Me too.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker

Posted: 2012-02-25 3:00 pm   Permalink

I think the best way to look at it is this:

How often do you travel over the hill and go to tiki bars?

Now ask yourself how often would you travel to these bars if there was a tiki bar you loved down the street from you?

And then now ask yourself how often would you travel to the other bars if there was a BUNCH of tiki bars you loved that you could go to before you even made it over the hill?

These are the the thoughts that will be going thru a lot of SoCal tiki enthusiasts heads before they make it over the hill to Valencia.

It will be a tough sell. Back in college, I would have had a hell of a time trying to afford the drinks at Tiki-Ti. I'm sure a lot of the students at Cal-Arts would be in the same boat.

But if you can find a place with cheap enough rent and bartenders that can mix a great drink... ya never know. If you try and do it, I do wish you the best of luck. I'm sure it's a dream that most of us on here have!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-25 7:37 pm   Permalink

I am from Sacramento and head down to San Diego a couple of times a year and would definitely stop in if you are open mid-day as that is usually the time I pass through your spot on the globe. Best of luck to you on your venture...might be able to sway the locals into the Tiki spirit.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-25 9:43 pm   Permalink

Monit..s..
1) Yes (if it is you who are opening one)
2) at least once a month for sure (which is saying a lot these days, havent been to the Ti in way too long). I would venture to say later evening after traffic in that direction has died down.
3) currently North Hollywood

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-26 11:06 pm   Permalink

Hola TC,

Thank you for the input. This is exactly what I was looking for. Please keep them coming.

JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 08:02 am   Permalink

1) Would you come up?

If you did it "right", yes I would. Assuming I could find a designated driver, which I probably could.

2) If so, how often?

Sadly, not very. Only when I am in LA visiting my sister.

3) Where are you from?

DC, which explains #2.

I wish you luck. However, I would be weary of opening a joint that might depend on whether or not students from a local art college might find it worth their while.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
simplydlacruz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-05 8:08 pm   Permalink

Great idea and an even better idea to do some research first. I live in HB and here are my answers.

1) Would you come up? yes
2) If so, how often? prolly every 3 months or so.
3) Where are you from? HB

Hawaiian Decals & Stickers
Hawaiian Jokes

View Profile of simplydlacruz Send a personal message to simplydlacruz  Goto the website of simplydlacruz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 07:36 am   Permalink

1. Would you come. Yes
2 How often. Once every 2 or 3 months.
3. Where do you live. San Fernando Valley

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation