Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Dark Jamaican: Myers vs Coruba
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Dark Jamaican: Myers vs Coruba
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-29 8:11 pm   Permalink

Many mahaloz, Craig--huli pau!
-Josh

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 9:27 pm   Permalink

Good blog post on the subject.

I use Coruba for no other reason than it gets good reviews, is cheap and makes good drinks.

I have a question for the group. Where I get it, the 750 has the plastic label as shown in the blog posts but the 1.75 is still the old paper label. Have they changed the 1.75 label or is the paper label still standard everywhere.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-01 08:18 am   Permalink

Sorry. . . typo . . . meant "Lemon Hart 151". Star Liquors has it in several of their locations south of where I am. I'm trying to get them to send some up here to their Stuart store.
As a matter of fact, in my location the selection of Jamaican rums is limited to Myers, Appleton and Margaritaville - the latter being discontinued as we speak.
I'm not a big fan of spiced rums, but we've got a pretty extensive selection here including Kracken and all the other favorites. No rum from Martinique at all except at Total Wine in Jensen Beach which has Clement VSOP and two kinds of St. James. No Coruba. I make a list of what I can't get here and then plan a "Road Trip" up to Total Wine.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2012-03-01 08:45 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-31 10:36 am   Permalink

Has anyone ever experienced buying a bottle of rum that was perhaps from a bad batch? I've used Meyers Dark for many years with almost always favorable results. I recently opened a new bottle and the first Mai Tai I made tasted a little off, even the wife thought so. I smelled the Meyers straight from the bottle and it has a very strong smoke odor. Not sure how it's supposed to smell, can't remember smelling straight form the bottle before. Does it normally have a very strong smokey odor?? thanks

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mmaurice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-10-31 8:29 pm   Permalink

My Myers have always seemed spot on.

Actually, I was just comparing "Dark" Rums when this post popped back up. I moved away from Myers in favor of the Atomic Grog mix of 1/2 El Dorado 12/Smith & Cross but recently did a taste test between it and my Myers and I almost think the Myers has it beat. It's not as pungent to the taste, because of the Smith and Cross, but still has a similar smell as the blend.

If only Myers would do something with a bit more Proof to it.

View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the_devils_tool

Posted: 2016-11-02 7:39 pm   Permalink

Also being from Texas, Meyers is historically always available.

I found NOS Coruba and so I've gone with that. I find that the more ingredients in the drink that coruba balances better. For less ingredients (Dark & Stormy) Meyers is fine. As already described, it's got a strong flavor.

I equate it to Pussers - hard for me to drink in large quantities by itself

View Profile of the_devils_tool Send a personal message to the_devils_tool  Goto the website of the_devils_tool     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-07 8:28 pm   Permalink

Myers's Vs. Coruba? This is a tough one.

As with 90% of discussions on Tiki Central, most boil down to two directives: taste and economics. With the aforementioned juxtaposition, we get one product on each end of the divide. However, there are a few other variables at play here:

MYERS'S:

1. While Myers's may be the preferred 'choice,' it is prohibitively expensive and is out of most people's economic reach (generally speaking).

2. Myers's is (unfortunately) associated with the perfunctoriness of Tiki; Disney use Myers's in pretty much every drink they make (even before they got creative and added Coruba to the mix) and most tourist or cruise ship concepts routinely reach for it whenever any dark mixing rum is required. Furthermore, Myers's (like Negrita and Stroh 80, both culturally significant dark rums) is often used as a cooking ingredient in both sweet and savory recipes; the image of an 80-year-old grandma churning out rum cake at 5 o'clock in the islands isn't exactly sexy.

CORUBA:

1. While many people (including Tikiphiles, Disney executives, and bar owners alike) are realizing Coruba's superior versatility, and insanely attractive bottom line, is still remains hard to find. Blame Campari.

2. Coruba offers a more versatile taste than Myers's, which as many have pointed out, has a more 'one-trick pony' profile to it. While both are very good rums, Coruba has the unique distinction of pretty much going with almost any mixer or cocktail associated with dark or gold rum and is, in that sense, ideal for nearly all rum-based cocktails.

Remember, perception shapes reality. Myers's (in terms of marketing and brand awareness) is still living in the past. Yes, you can bulk-buy it at Costco and your grandma calls for it by name, but that's not good enough. Coruba, which has a very poor market cap (7.7%) needs renewed interest from Campari, accompanied by a sexy ad campaign, to breathe life into the old marque.

In an age where rum has stepped out of it's shadow of being a harsh, rough brew designated to the likes of scoundrels and rouges, to the more elegant, contemplated, stand-alone sipper, Jamaican rums in particular, which have historically been used exclusively for mixing, have a tough job to prove themselves in an all new super-duper-hyper-premium market.

Appleton, in my opinion, is an on-the-fence rum; it is between a Myers's and a Coruba (both in taste and economics) and competes in a category that it should match more closely in appearance. BTW - with regards to a few people's comments and concerns about Appleton rums being gold in nature versus other 'darker' rums in the same category - there's a pointed reason for this: Appleton rums were originally blended as a substitute for whisky, which was in short supply during the world wars, which is why it is noticeably lighter in taste and color to most other rums.

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 30 days ago; 07:13 am   Permalink

On 2016-11-07 20:28, RumScrummager wrote:
Myers's Vs. Coruba? This is a tough one.

RumScrummager - great post - thank you. Both informative and thought-provoking.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 2:53 pm   Permalink

Here in central Florida, Myer's is all over and Coruba is almost unheard of. This whole here-again, gone-again, no, here-again with liquor brands is frustrating as hell!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mmaurice

Posted: 30 days ago; 4:29 pm   Permalink

Unless somebody knows a secret location, we can't get Coruba here in Georgia, not even special ordered at the big box stores and with our laws, can't ship it in either.

View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arcadiandj
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 30 days ago; 6:07 pm   Permalink

Here in Arizona-no Coruba. I've only seen it on a shelf once-and it was a flavored version:(

View Profile of arcadiandj Send a personal message to arcadiandj      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 29 days ago; 06:30 am   Permalink

Can't remember where I bought my bottles of Coruba at the moment, but I suggest something that works for me -- keeping eyes open when you're on road trips outside of your home state. It's fun to drag your friends/family/spouses through liquor stores in strange cities and towns. You never know what you'll find! Just keep in mind that your GPS doesn't know the difference between "nice" and "skeezy" parts of town, so be safe out there.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation