FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Dark Jamaican: Myers vs Coruba
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Dark Jamaican: Myers vs Coruba
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2017-05-02 2:53 pm   Permalink

I guess I never voiced my opinion on the matter.

Simple answer: Coruba

I think I have 10 bottles of Coruba on hand, I don't think I've had a bottle of Myers for at least 3-4 years.

I will drink drinks with Myers, I just won't make drinks with Myers.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-02 5:58 pm   Permalink

Sadly, 67 hasn't had Coruba Dark on the shelf in donkey's years. I rang a few weeks ago. Alex, the manager, was kind enough to give me the rundown.

In the interim, it looks like its only Roy's.

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-02 9:01 pm   Permalink

I'm about 2/3 through my first liter bottle of Coruba shipped from Hi-Time a month and a half ago, and I must say that I enjoy it more than Myers. I just wish I could find Coruba closer to home, so if anyone knows of a liquor store in Colorado....

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-02 9:58 pm   Permalink

Coruba remains my default pour for any recipe that calls for "Dark Jamaican" and doesn't specifically namedrop Meyers. Drinks like the Puka Punch from Intoxica and the Jim's Special, where they call for it by name, definitely seem to benefit from Meyers distinct flavor based on the way it interacts with the other ingredients, but for the most part Coruba improves every drink you put it in.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-04 8:06 pm   Permalink

Coruba is such a phenomenal product.

Most people don't realize that back in Tiki's heyday the Mai Tai’s popularity resulted in a drastic shortage of the limited production 17-year-old J. Wray & Nephew rum; Bergeron switched to J. Wray & Nephew’s 15-year-old version. When that dwindled, he stretched his remaining stock by changing the formula to 1 ounce of 15-year-old J. Wray & Nephew and 1 ounce of Coruba Dark Jamaican rum. However, most people only associate the Mai Tai with the iconic 17-year-old J. Wray & Nephew, which is only half the story.

Whenever you see an old-school recipe call for a 'dark Jamaican' rum, that meant typically Myers's, Coruba, or Red Heart (now defunct).

NOTE: while not Jamaican, Negrita is a great dark rum that adds a lot of ragged character to mixed cocktails - more in line with the rough/harsh brews from the days of yore!

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-04 9:19 pm   Permalink

Coruba, or course.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-05 03:13 am   Permalink

It's not an either/or, it's both. For pure taste & smoothness, I think that Coruba is superior. But for my taste it's fairly sweet & mild. That doesn't work in every cocktail; sometimes you need that rum to punch through. I reach for Meyers' just as often, depending on the drink being made.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-11 6:37 pm   Permalink

Agreed. I keep both stocked, they are both pretty cheap (about 15-16 bucks) and as you pointed out they both work great depending on the drink. A better thread might be Myers vs. Coruba for individual drinks like a Jamaican Planters Punch. I got to chat with Martin Cate at an event recently and asked that very question and his response was Coruba. He gave a pretty detailed response but I'm sad to say I was 4 drinks in and forgot the details. I think they use Appleton estate reserve at Smugglers Cove anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-boss 2017-07-01 08:14 ]

View Profile of Tiki-boss Send a personal message to Tiki-boss      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Oxybeles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-08 11:52 am   Permalink

While I may favor Coruba overall, one should not dismiss Myers out of hand.

More recently, I've been mixing them 50/50...

[ This Message was edited by: Oxybeles 2017-07-08 11:53 ]

View Profile of Oxybeles Send a personal message to Oxybeles      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-14 10:30 pm   Permalink

Coruba and Myers's are both great old-school Jamaican stalwarts. However, while the former is not that well known outside of Tiki/rum circles, Myers's has enjoyed much more notoriety, not least since it was (ostensibly) used in the culinary arena also. While both blends are distinctly separate and individual, Myers's suffers from waning popularity and (in the face of the current super-duper-hyper-premium rum market) has simply fallen out of favor with the popular crowd. Whenever you end up in a 1.75L bottle at your local Costco, you know you've reached new heights. Sadly, in the rum world, consensus becomes reality. A telling example of this was the fact that Disney (for donkey's years) used Meyer's as the standard pour; they now use Coruba - presumably, because it has more curb appeal with the current barroom cognoscenti.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-17 6:58 pm   Permalink

While vacationing in the Florida Keys, I found a place that had Coruba in ABUNDANCE and at $10/L. Marathon Liquors and Deli. Their website hasn't been updated in 5 years, so I was wary of stopping by, but boy am I glad I did!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-18 12:21 pm   Permalink

Roy's in Ft. Pierce also carries it.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-18 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-18 12:21, TikiHardBop wrote:
Roy's in Ft. Pierce also carries it.

True. But Marathon is closer to me (I realize that's not the case for most people) AND I'd never seen case-upon-case (easily 8 cases on the sales floor, not including any stock on the shelves) of Coruba at only $9.99!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-08-18 2:11 pm   Permalink

That's a great price. I just bought two liters at $23 a piece last week.

A couple years ago I found a dusty old label 750 ml bottle for $10 at a random liquor store. Was stoked on the price and the better looking design but little did I know at the time, that bottling was before they changed their formula so I whipped through it quickly without thought or hesitation. Wish I had the foresight to compare them.

Has anyone actually done a side by side comparison of old and new Coruba? I believe the old bottle had more pot still in the blend. Wonder if adding a small amount of J Wray can somewhat approximate the old flavor.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-19 05:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-18 14:11, mikehooker wrote:
That's a great price. I just bought two liters at $23 a piece last week.

A couple years ago I found a dusty old label 750 ml bottle for $10 at a random liquor store. Was stoked on the price and the better looking design but little did I know at the time, that bottling was before they changed their formula so I whipped through it quickly without thought or hesitation. Wish I had the foresight to compare them.

Has anyone actually done a side by side comparison of old and new Coruba? I believe the old bottle had more pot still in the blend. Wonder if adding a small amount of J Wray can somewhat approximate the old flavor.

My default solution for pot still/funk deficiency is a little bit of Hamilton Pot Still Jamaican. In my experience, however, you have to be careful because a little goes a very long way.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation