FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Dark Jamaican: Myers vs Coruba
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Dark Jamaican: Myers vs Coruba
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-19 10:06 am   Permalink

Roy's in Ft. Pierce also carries it.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-08-19 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-19 05:31, jokeiii wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-08-18 14:11, mikehooker wrote:
That's a great price. I just bought two liters at $23 a piece last week.

A couple years ago I found a dusty old label 750 ml bottle for $10 at a random liquor store. Was stoked on the price and the better looking design but little did I know at the time, that bottling was before they changed their formula so I whipped through it quickly without thought or hesitation. Wish I had the foresight to compare them.

Has anyone actually done a side by side comparison of old and new Coruba? I believe the old bottle had more pot still in the blend. Wonder if adding a small amount of J Wray can somewhat approximate the old flavor.

My default solution for pot still/funk deficiency is a little bit of Hamilton Pot Still Jamaican. In my experience, however, you have to be careful because a little goes a very long way.

Whether it be Hamilton, Wray and Nephew, Smith & Cross, Rum Fire or any other high pot still rum, I'd be curious how to approximate the actual flavor of the old Coruba, not just add a random dose of funk to the new one. I don't remember if it was this thread or another one, but someone a while back had mentioned making a Mai Tai with 2 oz Coruba. I tried that with the new stuff and it wasn't good at all. I'd love to know exactly what it's missing and keep reusing that old label bottle I have with a blend that actually tastes like what belongs in there.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-19 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Whether it be Hamilton, Wray and Nephew, Smith & Cross, Rum Fire or any other high pot still rum, I'd be curious how to approximate the actual flavor of the old Coruba, not just add a random dose of funk to the new one. I don't remember if it was this thread or another one, but someone a while back had mentioned making a Mai Tai with 2 oz Coruba. I tried that with the new stuff and it wasn't good at all. I'd love to know exactly what it's missing and keep reusing that old label bottle I have with a blend that actually tastes like what belongs in there.

Mike,

To my palate, 3:1 "new" Coruba to Hamilton does the trick.

HTH!

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2017-08-27 16:27 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-11-03 9:11 pm   Permalink

jokeiii - what a beautiful score! I'm surprised you didn't clear them out at that price! The last place I found Coruba Dark on the shelf was in some scuzzy liquor store in south Miami - four 750ml bottles to be precise. My heart literally skipped a beat when I saw them; the labels were all weathered from the sun and the bottles themselves were covered in dust. I believe I paid $16.99 a bottle. Regarding that Marathon location you discovered, I might have to plan a dawn raid upon that liquor store - that is, if they have any bottles left! It is not so easy to find Coruba Dark on the shelf. Roy's is the only other liquor store in the entire state that is currently known to stock it - and for a pretty penny too!

Mike - good point about comparing both blends. I have all the formulations at home, however, I can't quite bring myself to crack them all open to do the comparison. If I find duplicate bottles of the 1980s and 1990s bottlings, I'll be sure to do so.

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation