FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Don the Beachcomber's problems????
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber's problems????
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 9:53 pm   Permalink

I was in L.A. last weekend for 2 days. I had a friend visiting me in Vegas and she had never been to Hollywood, so we did a little road trip.

Thursday night we started at Tonga Hut where Marie came up to make us some awesome drinks. We then moved on to Tiki Ti and drank there for 3 hours. Top notch as always. Even tried some new drinks (to us) by spinning the wheel and wasn't disappointed.

Saturday evening we started at Trader Sam's and thoroughly enjoyed my first visit there and will be back for more. From there we moved on to DTB and then finished the night at Purple Orchid where we also had excellent drinks.

So my review of Donn's - Weakest drinks of the 5 places, but they weren't bad, just not consistent or up to par with the name Don's. After the ridiculous classic rock band started, we couldn't leave fast enough. I fully understand the need to fill the bar and pay the bills, but this was awful, and I like classic rock. The singer acted like he was David Lee Roth circa 1979 and they were so loud, you would have thought they were in the back, big room. The drinks were much better when Marie was there.

With so many choices in the L.A./Orange area, every tiki bar would do well to put out a quality cocktail. If not, time to go elsewhere. If Frankei's Tiki Room (here in Vegas) started making shitty cocktails, there is no other tiki bar here, so we'd have to tuff it out.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 9:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-29 21:53, TikiPug wrote:
I was in L.A. last weekend for 2 days. I had a friend visiting me in Vegas and she had never been to Hollywood, so we did a little road trip.

Thursday night we started at Tonga Hut where Marie came up to make us some awesome drinks. We then moved on to Tiki Ti and drank there for 3 hours. Top notch as always. Even tried some new drinks (to us) by spinning the wheel and wasn't disappointed.

Saturday evening we started at Trader Sam's and thoroughly enjoyed my first visit there and will be back for more. From there we moved on to DTB and then finished the night at Purple Orchid where we also had excellent drinks.

So my review of Donn's - Weakest drinks of the 5 places, but they weren't bad, just not consistent or up to par with the name Don's. After the ridiculous classic rock band started, we couldn't leave fast enough. I fully understand the need to fill the bar and pay the bills, but this was awful, and I like classic rock. The singer acted like he was David Lee Roth circa 1979 and they were so loud, you would have thought they were in the back, big room. The drinks were much better when Marie was there.

With so many choices in the L.A./Orange area, every tiki bar would do well to put out a quality cocktail. If not, time to go elsewhere. If Frankei's Tiki Room (here in Vegas) started making shitty cocktails, there is no other tiki bar here, so we'd have to tuff it out.

Thanks for the review TikiPug. I've had nothing but great experiences at Tiki Ti. Can't wait to get to Frankei's if I ever make it back to Vegas!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 10:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-29 21:53, TikiPug wrote:
I fully understand the need to fill the bar and pay the bills, but this was awful, and I like classic rock. The singer acted like he was David Lee Roth circa 1979 and they were so loud, you would have thought they were in the back, big room.

pug...

i know! who was that joker? wot a tool! ridiculously fun to watch him preen though.

again, my point is precisely that these places will do what they need to in order to stay in business. i'm certain, if enough people went there, insisting on Martin Denny and filling the joint, that's what they would do.

food and drink is definitely subjective. i can only speak for my experience last week, and it was really good.

.....but that rock queen needs to check his shit.

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

At this point I don't really care if I will sound snobby saying this here, but all you Johnny-come-latelies with your consumerist, bourgeois attitudes of entitlement really rub me wrong.

Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

Well, you can say whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

Gentlemen!
[begins humming the Star-Spangled Banner]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 10:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-29 21:44, tiki1963 wrote:
a tiki restaurant is just that. a place to sell food. if they do it well, they thrive. they don't, they die.
i think it's very important Don's continues to do well.

Jordan, I am not denying that, I am just saying it is how one deals with it here on TC, and what one emphasizes. At this point I can only repeat myself:

Quote:

On 2012-02-29 19:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
And one more time, do not come back with the excuse that you "care" about these places and want them to succeed, this is NOT the way to go about it. I am not declaring a "ban" on all critical attitudes about food and service, but there is the smart and caring way to go about it, and there is the loudmouth "I want my money's worth" way to do it.

And Pug, that sounds like a nice tour, you sure can knock them back, respect!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 11:02 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

Jordan, I am not denying that, I am just saying it is how one deals with it here on TC, and what one emphasizes. At this point I can only repeat myself:

[quote]

eh. i don't buy it, sven.

i just think you're desperate to hit 10,000 posts!!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 11:25 pm   Permalink

Well I'll be.....!!! Ha, to prove you wrong, I will cease posting right here and now!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-29 11:34 pm   Permalink

I really enjoyed my last visit to DtB's - food, drink, atmosphere, service, everything. We were a large family group and had a long dinner that ended with the kids roaming around the place. Usually in normal restaurants I'm antsy to go once the check comes, but at Don's it's entirely different. On our way out, just a warm happy relaxed feeling.

But I guess those are not "problems" per the title of this thread. Pardon the derail.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 11:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-29 23:34, aquarj wrote:
I really enjoyed my last visit to DtB's - food, drink, atmosphere, service, everything. We were a large family group and had a long dinner that ended with the kids roaming around the place. Usually in normal restaurants I'm antsy to go once the check comes, but at Don's it's entirely different. On our way out, just a warm happy relaxed feeling.

But I guess those are not "problems" per the title of this thread. Pardon the derail.

-Randy

Thanks for posting your experience Randy. In my original post on this thread I asked for TCers to post about their experiences at DtB's. Glad that you and your family had a good time and enjoyed your visit.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-01 07:07 am   Permalink

I can think of any number of places that serve bad food at high prices. God, have any of you ever heard of Rainforest cafe? The food there SUCKS! You are paying for the ambience.

Luckily, Don's does NOT suck. Why people are ripping into it is beyond me.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-01 12:07 pm   Permalink

I paid my first visit to Donn's on New Years Eve and had a fine time. The decor was was terrific as were the food, drinks and even the live music. We had a bit of a disconnect with the servers at first as they were setting up a large party somewhere in the back. Once the hostess figured out we hadn't been served she took us under her wing and made sure we were well taken care of the rest of the evening. For Happy Hour I think I'd want to hang out in the Dagger Bar.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-01 3:32 pm   Permalink

Dagger Bar - 2 Mondays from now and I'll be there. I can't wait.

I do want to say that I have never had a bad piece of food or poor drink at DtB. I am a satisfied customer. If the service has gone down some, I'd want to know so I could call the management and let them know I'll be coming in soon. Not that it matters, but I have found that when someone owns a legacy they do understand the importance of maintaining the legacy's reputation. I am sure this thread has come to the owner's attention and I am sure it will have an effect. From the few interactions I have had with them, they really do seem to care about maintaining a great place.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-01 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

And Pug, that sounds like a nice tour, you sure can knock them back, respect!

I try. I was bummed I couldn't shoe horn TV in too

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-01 9:18 pm   Permalink

^ Life has its regrets sometimes . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
20th Century Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-02 12:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-29 22:40, thePorpoise wrote:
Quote:

At this point I don't really care if I will sound snobby saying this here, but all you Johnny-come-latelies with your consumerist, bourgeois attitudes of entitlement really rub me wrong.

Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

Well, you can say whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

Gentlemen!
[begins humming the Star-Spangled Banner]

Major props to you, Porpoise, for invoking Otter's infamous defense speech from Animal House!
(see Delta Tau Chi v. Faber Student Body Council, 1962)

HUZZAH!!

View Profile of 20th Century Man Send a personal message to 20th Century Man  Email 20th Century Man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation