FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Official Tiki Oasis 2012 thread for TO12
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 2012 thread for TO12
NikkiNapalm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-23 10:46 pm   Permalink

Come on, we all know Tiki Oasis is a kid-friendly family event...if it wasn't, why would Baby Doe and Otto bring their own children? Tiki Oasis will never be Disneyland or church, but it should be a place where everyone (of all ages and backgrounds) can relax and feel comfortable and enjoy their vacation. You have to agree: unassuming children or elderly folks accidentally experiencing strip-tease on the mainstage in broad daylight can't really be a positive thing. Well, at least the Von Stroheims agree because the majority of burlesque acts was moved inside this year. The burlesque culture is definitely a big part of the lounge scene and should be kept and heavily advertised at Tiki Oasis but just kept slightly more private and taboo, because of the nature of it and the wide range of ages that attend the event. Keeping it secret and "behind closed doors" or later at night makes it sexier and cooler anyway.

I didn't say "set a no alcohol rule", dude. I get that the art of alcoholic cocktail making is virtually the heart and soul the lounge scene and culture, but what's wrong with people wanting to have non-alcoholic tropical drinks available in addition to alcoholic drinks? Sodas from the hotel restaurant and coffee bar are $3.50, and added flavor is .75... now, I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want to pay over $4.00 for a darn shirley temple. I'm just saying, not every tiki-phile drinks alcohol, and some people have to drive home or to hotels after all the fun. I'm just suggesting there be more variety for sober folks and underage kids who want a cold, refreshing and fun drink on their vacation If there was a blended drink bar or station that offered fruit smoothies, blended virgin drinks and flavored soda pops at reasonable price, I think it would do well. Especially if they had little umbrella garnishes

The pin-up hair and makeup class is more of a do-it-yourself instruction session involving close to 100 people. The class offers tips and tricks on how to do one style of makeup and hair and you follow the instructor step by step. There is no one-on-one interaction. Apparently during this last one there was some feedback that there was too much "question and answer" time and not enough actual instruction and "doing". The people in the class asked questions that didn't apply to everyone such as "well my hair is really frizzy...what do I do about that?" and those kind of questions ended up taking up a lot of time that could have been used for instruction. The class is great for people who really do want to be taught how to do their own, but sometimes women just want to be pampered and have a professional make them look their best.

The pin-up hair and makeup services would be offered on site, but away from the vendors and festivities in a more private location where women wouldn't feel like they were "on display" while getting done up. They could choose from a list of hairstyles and makeup looks ranging from 1940's-1960's looks. There might also be a little lounge and cocktail bar inside the same area for ladies to relax and hang out.

View Profile of NikkiNapalm Send a personal message to NikkiNapalm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-23 11:08 pm   Permalink

My wife and I were able to find a babysitter for Friday night, so we partied at 5 of the room parties, saw the burlesque show and did so many other incredible things at Oasis and took a cab back home.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find a sitter for Saturday night, so we took the kids to Oasis for the day. That would ABSOLUTELY SUCK if we couldn't bring them. We used common sense and left while it was still daylight. Of course, we would have liked to have some alone time and spend the entire night enjoying everything Oasis has to offer (my wife was bummed to miss The Untouchables), but some Oasis is better than none...

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-23 11:38 pm   Permalink

The situation is when you have kids, everything changes
The problem is many (Not all,mind you) families expect the world to adapt to their
Kid friendly perspective, this was not so in the 50s,60s & 70s if you grew up in those years
there was a very visible line between the adult & child worlds, That was the heyday of Tiki

No so today, everything needs to be safe & comfortable for kids,with complete disregard
for those who don't have or want to include kids in "Adult" activities

I thought the atmosphere of Tiki Oasis was very compromised this year due to the lack of Burlesque dancers
on stage, & the kids running around during much of the acts was very distracting, The parents of those kids
were completely oblivious of this & just let their kids run around without any concern for other people
I see it all the time,when was the last time anyone here had a nice dinner at a restaurant with out a kid acting up?

Many families with children are completely myopic about this today & it was happening at Oasis also
so much so, we spent all our time in the room parties to get away from it.

You can't have it both ways, your ether going to completely sanitize Tiki Oasis in which case I will no longer want to attend.
Or decide to keep it an adult event, with separate activities for the kids.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NikkiNapalm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-24 12:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-23 23:38, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The problem is many (Not all,mind you) families expect the world to adapt to their
Kid friendly perspective, this was not so in the 50s,60s & 70s if you grew up in those years
there was a very visible line between the adult & child worlds, That was the heyday of Tiki

No so today, everything needs to be safe & comfortable for kids,with complete disregard

I thought the atmosphere of Tiki Oasis was very compromised this year due to the lack of Burlesque dancers
on stage, & the kids running around during much of the acts was very distracting, The parents of those kids
were completely oblivious of this & just let their kids run around without any concern for other people
I see it all the time,when was the last time anyone here had a nice dinner at a restaurant with out a kid acting up?

Many families with children are completely myopic about this today & it was happening at Oasis also
so much so, we spent all our time in the room parties to get away from it.

You can't have it both ways, your ether going to completely sanitize Tiki Oasis in which case I will no longer want to attend.
Or decide to keep it an adult event, with separate activities for the kids.

Ehhh I kinda disagree, I think there's a way to balance both without making the entire event one-sided. Just like you said, you went to the room parties to get your kicks. On the other hand, me and my fella enjoyed all the daytime activities which were much more our speed and decided to get some sleep rather than go to the room parties. I like that there are options for everyone. Not all adults want to see boobs and butts shakin' around on stage in broad daylight when they're trying to enjoy their vacation.

A note about kids: after WWII ended and everyone was having babies, kids were everywhere and started becoming an accepted part of society, and then made a niche for themselves at "teenagers" in the 1950's. By the mid-1950's, the family structure had strengthened and the idea of all-inclusive family vacations was extremely popular.

The kids dancing and playing at the front of the stage were just having a good time and enjoying themselves; they weren't screaming, yelling, fighting or throwing things. They weren't doing anything wrong. Distracting, maybe, but not destructive. Besides, most of the entertainment was just music. So do you have to pay attention to every split second of it? The parents were most likely right there on the grass enjoying a beverage and making sure their kids were safe.

Kids are the minority at Tiki Oasis, but they will continue to be an integral part of the event for the rest of it's existence, so just enjoy the parts of the event that you like the best.

View Profile of NikkiNapalm Send a personal message to NikkiNapalm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 04:48 am   Permalink

I thought one of the real delights of this year's Oasis was the magician, the knife throwing act, and the Lampshades. Thanks Otto and Baby Doe for mixing it up more at this year's event. I think these sorts of acts are a great compliment to the burlesque and the bands!

FANTASTIC OASIS!

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 05:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-23 23:38, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Well said!
I pretty much agree with this. And although I'm ok with how oasis has evolved one wonders how crazy and insane -in a good way- an "adults only" oasis would be. Not going to happen I know but it's fun to let your mind imagine it. Yikes!

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 05:15 am   Permalink

I want to go to Tiki Oasis and just let my hair down (figure of speech since I have very little ). I want to drink and stumble around and hang out with other stumbling drunk adults. I don't want to watch what I say or worry about being a bad example etc. Yea the kids were well behaved but some of the slightly older ones were sneaking into room parties. (Of course I would have done the same thing as at their age) but, I don't want to worry about that. Keep the events apart. Don't sanitize Tiki Oasis. While I don't watch the naked girls on stage, I like chatting and flirting with them after their show. I don't need some 7 year old taking notes on what to do when he gets a bit older! I guess I'll just be a bad influence on kids those four days every year. I guess I can't worry about it.

View Profile of Big Vic Send a personal message to Big Vic  Email Big Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 07:52 am   Permalink

Here's my latest Tiki idea. How about we actually leverage children for an upcoming Tiki Oasis theme ?? We can call it "Mid-century Childhood Nightmares". Think...

"Invaders from Mars"

"5,000 Fingers of Dr. T"

"Night of the Hunter"

and then there was that "Leave it Beaver" episode where the Beav gets locked overnight in a Tiki restaurant and imagines all of the Tikis coming to life.

Children are Tiki !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonLeeSurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 11:26 am   Permalink

A Big Thanks to Otto/Baby Doe for Having me back to teach Spy Guitar this year. I remember 3 years ago it was just something we brought up losely as an idea, but I think the class is starting to pan out over the years.

Our third year playing the Pool and we had a blast as always
so the Band thanks you for all of your support.

I really want to thank all the insiders that make it happen.

Jim giddings, Cammo, Mateo and the whole gang.

Cammo and Jim thanks so much for making the Cove room work again for the Lessons. You two know how much work it is equipment wise to pull something like that off and I appreciate it.

Thanks to Cult of the Eye for having us play not just friday night, but Sat night at there room party's. As we talked about, We are IN for next year.

It was an honor to play with Martini Kings this year on the Mainstage and I had such a blast ! Thanks Tony

See you all Next year. - Stay tuned for more info I will be posting on the Spy Guitar Lessons.

View Profile of JasonLeeSurf Send a personal message to JasonLeeSurf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 12:59 pm   Permalink

NikkiNapalm & everyone else, Thanks for not going ape shit over my opinion
I thought it was going to hit some the wrong way.

I grew up in the 50s & 60s and it was a whole different world then
I really think parents had a better understanding of children's place in society
and did a much better job of teaching them those skills, then today.

But to be fair the Tiki crowd has some great kids who have great parents
who did exactly that, (I am looking at you Polypop & Matt Reese!)

John-O, love the "Invaders from Mars" insert, I see what you did.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Buttercup
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-24 1:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]
John-O, love the "Invaders from Mars" insert, I see what you did.....

Glass cubes to put the children in!?!? Not even sure if I am extremely amused at this or concerned. Hmmm... we might have to put a few adults in glass boxes too. The whole thing could get very interesting.

View Profile of Buttercup Send a personal message to Buttercup  Email Buttercup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 9:09 pm   Permalink

Hey TCers, Today I heard of a few incidences of people
getting spiked (Drugged) cocktails at Oasis
anyone else hear about this?

Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 10:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-24 21:09, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey TCers, Today I heard of a few incidences of people
getting spiked (Drugged) cocktails at Oasis
anyone else hear about this?

I saw a post with some comments about this on Facebook a few days back, but that was all I heard about it.

From what the people were commenting on it did seem to be consistent with the ole 'Mickey Fin'

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 11:48 pm   Permalink

uhhhhhh.....
Did everybody miss Zsandora dancing(down to pasties and g string at the end)
with the Swank Bastards, in broad daylight,
with 20 kids watching from in front of the stage?

I thought it was hilarious,
but I am demented that way.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NikkiNapalm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-26 08:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-24 23:48, bigtikidude wrote:
uhhhhhh.....
Did everybody miss Zsandora dancing(down to pasties and g string at the end)
with the Swank Bastards, in broad daylight,
with 20 kids watching from in front of the stage?

I thought it was hilarious,
but I am demented that way.

Jeff(btd)

Yeah, not cool. She is absolutely gorgeously barbie-doll breathtaking, but yeah...maybe next year leave a little bit more clothing on if you see 20 munchkins in front of you? Oh well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation