Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kona Cocktail
Kona Cocktail
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-09 1:48 pm   Permalink

Anyone know the recipe for the Kona Cocktail from Don the Beachcomber? I saw this listing on the Smuggler's Cove web site. Makes me wonder if there are other cocktail recipes from Santiago's notebook that Berry didn't include in his books:

Quote:

Kona Cocktail
EXCLUSIVE: This never before published Don the Beachcomber cocktail comes straight from the 1937 personal notebook of head bartender Dick Santiago. Unearthed with dogged determination by famed exotic cocktail archaeologist Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, it’s a sublime mixture of fresh muddled pineapple, passion fruit, dark Jamaican rum, lime and honey, served on the stem.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-15 1:11 pm   Permalink

Wow, really? Nobody, nothing, nada? I would think that with all the people on this board who go to Smugglers Cove, someone would have at least some thoughts as to what goes into this cocktail.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-15 1:47 pm   Permalink

arriano,

I noticed this too a while back when I was skimming the menu a while back.

I can only Jeff didn't figure the recipe worth printing, or had similar recipes in the book. MArtin got to look at it and took it upon himself to put it on his menu.

That is just my hypothesis.

Base don what I have read on it "that combines dark rum, pineapple, passion fruit, lime and honey" I am guessing maybe it is like a Cobra's fang with honey instead of falernum.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-16 08:13 am   Permalink

Thanks Rawim - Very interesting. I'll try to recreate it from your description, and hope to eventually get up to SF to go to Smugglers myself. Thanks again.

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2012-03-16 10:58 am   Permalink

There are several drinks that Jeff shared with me from Dick's notebook that have never been published. The Kona was my favorite so I ran with it. The recipe for the Kona, as well as the four others I tried, will remain secret at Jeff's request in case he publishes them in the future. Cheers!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-16 3:32 pm   Permalink

any plans for a Florida location in the works?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-17 4:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-16 10:58, martiki wrote:
There are several drinks that Jeff shared with me from Dick's notebook that have never been published. The Kona was my favorite so I ran with it. The recipe for the Kona, as well as the four others I tried, will remain secret at Jeff's request in case he publishes them in the future. Cheers!

Mahalo, Martin!

Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-18 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-16 10:58, martiki wrote:
will remain secret at Jeff's request in case he publishes them in the future. Cheers!

Curses! The Tiki Intelligentsia keeps another drink from the working class tiki-phile.

Now in order to try this cocktail I will have to travel to the Smuggler's Cove and probably waste a whole afternoon drinking expertly made tiki drinks......

Okay so maybe that is not such a bad thing.

Carry on.

[ This Message was edited by: Rawim 2012-03-18 17:01 ]

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation