FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Bora Bora Bamboo Barn with loft
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Bora Bora Bamboo Barn with loft
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 09:49 am   Permalink

Hello all, I started gathering bamboo for this last spring and then started getting carried away. My wife and myself spent 3 weeks in Tahiti for our honeymoon and can't get it out of my head. Love the whole feel and look of primitive buildings. I used elephant grass for the roofing and 3 types of bamboo for the structure. Tre Gai as the corner posts (viet nam) Guadua for the main beam 19' (Columbia) and Moso from Mississippi for the rest of kiln dried boo I needed. Please enjoy the photos and visit the blog if you are interested in building with bamboo structures. www.tikirancher.blogspot.com

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-27 10:02 am   Permalink

WOW! Nice work, keep the pictures coming.

Mahalo!

Chris
WestADad

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 10:50 am   Permalink

Thanks, its been a long labor of love....will be done before memorial day for my inaugural tiki bar launch pig roast...too bad you live so far away I'd make you a fog cutter.
cheers

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 11:01 am   Permalink

Your doing it oldschool & island style! yea keep those pictures coming!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 11:14 am   Permalink

Primitive - only lashings and wooden pins! kind of a purist and I have done this about 99.5% solo - anyone can do it with the ambition, drive and about 4k.

WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-27 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-27 10:50, tikirancher wrote:
Thanks, its been a long labor of love....will be done before memorial day for my inaugural tiki bar launch pig roast...too bad you live so far away I'd make you a fog cutter.
cheers

Deal! Now to check my calendar.......

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 3:46 pm   Permalink

Sweet

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 6:10 pm   Permalink

That looks fantastic! Great work so far.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-27 7:06 pm   Permalink

Now that's an ambitious project! Looks great ~ will it have enough thatch to be waterproof or will it have a waterproof layer hidden in the thatch?

EDIT - Lots of cool progress pix on the blog too.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-03-27 20:30 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-27 8:09 pm   Permalink

That's really cool. Wanna come over and start another one?

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 06:54 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the great encouragement! as far as the waterproof question you are very observant or you've worked with thatch before. In reality I was told I needed to overlap every 6 inches to insure a waterproof structure, but that would of doubled my cost and I'm not living in the barn. So, budgetary reasons I did it every 12 inches. but it rained the other day and the roof held up great, dry underneath. I'm going to waterproof the thatch and that will help too. The kids loft was the main reason I started this project as a playhouse for my 4 yr old, but I tend to go overboard when it comes to things like this so, I decided to make it a family playhouse that I could use too...wait until you see all the props and bar I'm going to build when its dried in. Does anyone have any suggestions for the wall materials? I was going to use the woven leaf, I forget what its called but it is what ya'll usually put directly on the wall of a room but I have the outside and inside to consider. I was thinking of glueing the weaved material onto a 1/4 ply both sides? I tried to use a reed fence material from Home Depot but it was too see through. I have about 4k into this project so far and am trying to keep total build under 5k.

Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-28 07:08 am   Permalink

Phew!- Very Cool - love it all - what fun for you and your gals, and us TCers too

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-28 07:10 am   Permalink

an yr mancub

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-28 07:29 am   Permalink

Awesome work! Looks amazing so far!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 08:45 am   Permalink

What a fantastic project! I can't wait to see more - going to check out the blog later. It looks great so far!!!! I want to live there.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation