FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Bigtikidude's 5th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention - Sat, Aug 11th 2012
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Bigtikidude's 5th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention - Sat, Aug 11th 2012
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 1:20 pm   Permalink

Spotlight on a band for the day

and these guys play at Hukilau every year!

*THE INTOXICATORS*
(Florida)
http://www.intoxicators.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Intoxicators/90586916588
http://www.myspace.com/theintoxicators
http://www.reverbnation.com/theintoxicators
http://www.disasternauts.com/

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 3:11 pm   Permalink

Here's a great interview with Ivan of the Madeira, who will be playing this Sat at the Convention.

The Madeira are considered one of the TOP bands of the current scene, and the interview is a great background into the band, as well as an informative Surf Music "State of the Union" overview.

REALLY looking forward to this Sat !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 6:02 pm   Permalink

thanks for posting that John O.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 6:16 pm   Permalink

If anyone is interested,
there is an after Party,
after the sg101 convention at the Doll Hut in Anaheim. Ca.
http://www.facebook.com/events/248536915265127/?context=create

Local Faves,
the Tequila Worms, Slacktone,
and first time in Ca.
The Disasternauts from FLA.????

here is a pic of them

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2012-08-09 18:17 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-11 07:05 am   Permalink

sg101 band spotlight for the day

*9TH WAVE*
http://9thwavesurf.com/
www.myspace.com/9thwave
http://www.nesmasurf.org/

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-12 08:49 am   Permalink

Kudos to Jeff and *everyone* that helped put on SG101 yesterday. That was a killer day of live music and I also left with a ton of new stuff. It felt like all of the bands brought something unique to them, and the musicianship was stellar all day. I'm already looking forward to catching a couple of the bands again at Tiki Oasis this week. I only wish El Ray was playing a room party!

The crowd and the vibe all day were both really great. Looking across the audience as Jon & The Nightriders closed their set/the show and seeing members of the bands that had already played just hanging out and enjoying the music really says a lot about the community. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the tributes to Baja Marty. You didn't need to know him personally to feel how many people he had touched, and to see how much people cared for him.

Judging by the sheer volume of camera equipment in the audience, this was a pretty well-documented event. Here's a few photos of the bands anyway.

9th Wave

The Intoxicators

The Exotics

The Dynotones

The Rumblers

The Nocturnes

Paul Johnson

Los Venturas

El Ray

The Madeira

Jon & The Nightriders

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-12 09:08 am   Permalink

Great shots Kevin!
Thanks!

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-12 09:58 am   Permalink

Thanks for the pictures, Kevin.

Wow, the Surf Music bar was raised yet another year. What a fantastic event !!

The great diversity of bands and sheer talent made the 10 hours just fly by. From 1st-wave legends like the Nocturnes, Rumblers, and Paul Johnson to 2nd-wave icons Jon & the Nightriders (FYI, John Blair is to Surf Music what Sven is to the Tiki Revival), and then the Madeira who may very well be the premier band of the 3rd-wave.

Two of my favorite performances were by the Intoxicators and the Exotics, both bands who also have a long relationship to the Tiki Revival.

The "wildcard" this year, at least for me, was El Ray. Holy smokes, what an incredible band !! I'll be seeing them for a 3rd time on Monday at Spike's in Rosemead before they return back to Belgium.

There were about a dozen TC peeps in the house and this is the 2nd year in a row a Tiki person has won the coveted guitar raffle, Spermy won the Stratocaster !!

Another "Tiki moment" was after "Bali Hai" was performed Surf-style, BTD comes up to mike, and says "That was for all the people who say Surf isn't Tiki".

BTD, I know you've been getting by each night on just a few hours of sleep, as you've been helping to book the out-of-state and international bands at other venues throughout the week to offset their travel costs, as well as schleping gear.

Thank you Jeff for all your hard and selfless work, the convention continues to get bigger and more amazing each year as does the whole Surf Music scene. You play such a large role in all this, it does not go unnoticed.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-12 10:20 am   Permalink

Looks like it was a awesome show . I definatly want to go next year. I have never been and I have been a surf music fiend for along time. Whats wrong with me? :/

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-12 11:44 am   Permalink

It's not too late if you still want to see some of the Convention bands in the darkness of a nightclub with cocktail in hand.

Tomorrow (Mon, Aug 13th) Euro bands Los Venturas and El Ray will be playing at Spike's "Rhythm N Booze" Annual Tiki Party in Rosemead.

http://www.spikes-bar.com/Rosemead.html

Los Venturas will be playing at Oasis but this will be El Ray's last So CA performance. Who knows when you'll get another chance to see them?

El Ray is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended. Both BTD and Jonpaul have seen them like 6 times in the last 7 days if that tell you anything.

Bahooka pre-party ??

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-12 8:33 pm   Permalink

Hey John-O. When is the Bahooka pre-party? El-Ray is amazingly cool . Listened to thier tracks on thier website. I got to start getting to these shows.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surf fink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-14 06:20 am   Permalink

GREAT GREAT SHOW, THANK YOU JEFF

View Profile of surf fink Send a personal message to surf fink      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 4:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pics, reviews, and kudos guys.
It really means a lot,
I'm off to San Diego soon,
For Los Venturas at Bar Pink
Hope to see some SD peeps there tonight

surf fink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-15 4:03 pm   Permalink

Does anybody have a list of the - dates,times and who is playing the H.B. pier the rest of summer. I can't seem to find it. Thanks

View Profile of surf fink Send a personal message to surf fink      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 4:30 pm   Permalink

You can always depend on BTD when it comes to knowledge of live surf music.

Surf Guitar 101: Huntington Beach Surf Museum, or HB pier, April to Sept. 2012

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation