FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Gallery Tama: bi-annual super-mega update! (image heavy)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tama: bi-annual super-mega update! (image heavy)
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 02:28 am   Permalink

A Gallery Forum? Damn, I have been away a long time.

For those unfamiliar with my personal tiki obsession; I am a fulltime self-employed carver in Aotearoa/New Zealand, working in the highly valued, traditional medium of 'pounamu' or 'greenstone' (technically, nephrite jade). This hard, translucent stone was favoured by pre-contact Maori for its superior strength and beauty & widely traded for use as tools, weapons and personal adornment. It is only found in a few isolated geographical areas (associated with tectonic plate activity) and is legally under the guardianship of local iwi/family groups from these areas. To this day the material is held in almost spiritual regard by Maori, an uncut touchstone often treated like a family member, inducing tears when touched after long absence. Personal items fashioned from this stone are worn by many and traditionally believed to inherit the 'mana' (esteem) of their owner/s, often handed down for hundreds of years as heirloom pieces.

ok, enough about the stone.. it has Tikis inside it, alright?

-------

Ill kick off with a few 'trads' as they account for around half of my work; the original maori "heiTiki":

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

Had enough of those? Another traditional variant, the 'side-hanging' type heiTiki. The fingers touching throat or mouth pertain to oratory skill, of vital importance to a culture with no written language:

---

---

phew! Time for some less traditional, more contemporary work. All designs/motifs are traditional in some sense but often plucked from woodcarving/weaponery etc and reused out of context as adornment.

'Upoko'(head) or 'Wheku/Koruru' (gable mask atop carved meeting house) inspired:

---

Another, belonging to a TC member (I think/hope this is the one J? - apologies if I am mistaken, there have been so many, doh!):

---

Different style:

---

Unique piece, loosely inspired/representing the stabby-end of the taiaha (long hand-to-hand combat weapon):

---

Contemporary 'pekapeka', native bat formed of double-headed manaia:

---

Smaller version:

---

anutha:

---

Unique contemporary example:

---

'Toki-wheku', a woodcarving adze (toki), topped by wheku/koruru head:

---

'Toki-tekoteko', toki/adzeblade, topped by a tekoteko figure (the lifesize full-body figures found inside the carved wharenui/meeting house):

---

---

---

---

---

'Toki-Manaia', adze topped with a 'manaia' figure (invisible, beneficent guardian-spirit type creature found in woodcarving, often highly abstracted)

---

Unique, contemporary Manaia:

---

Another unique figure, designed to fit an oddly shaped piece of stone:

---

Contemporary Tiki:

---

'Koro' (old man):

---

Tahitian/Austral inspired 'Ti'i' figure, carved from obsidian (volcanic glass):

---

'Putiputi' (flower):

---
heiMatau/fish hook:

---

---

Unique heiTiki, an experiment to see if I could simplify-away the arm/legholes altogether:

---

'Toa-iti' (little warrior):

---

Mottled warrior:

JT

---

'Tane-iti' (little man):

---

Well, thats it for now. Please feel free to ask any Qs. If anyone needs me, Im in the workshop..

Tama

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2012-04-02 04:17 ]

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 07:56 am   Permalink

Amazing
U rock

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 08:35 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2012-04-02 02:28, Tamapoutini wrote:

Another, belonging to a TC member (I think/hope this is the one J? - apologies if I am mistaken, there have been so many, doh!):

[quote]

Yep! It's mine! YEAH!

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 09:25 am   Permalink

Just amazing.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-02 8:19 pm   Permalink

You are machine!! Great stuff. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
castaway17
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-02 8:30 pm   Permalink

Beautiful pieces- exquisite crafstmanship!

View Profile of castaway17 Send a personal message to castaway17  Email castaway17 Goto the website of castaway17     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 10:53 pm   Permalink

Tama!!!

Great to see you back again!

Very nice gallery you've put together, and like the other artists, its so much easier to appreciate all your great work in one thread!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 02:05 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone! Rest assured I wont be leaving it so long between posts in future, this last was an all-nighter (and I still neglected to downsize a couple of pics..)

Laojia, my memory is shocking but the bones remember everything

Thanks Grog. LLT has been sending me little bottles of his special formula, keeps putting the price up though..

Cheers Lake, I like the division between in-prog and finished work threads. Havent had much of a chance to look through yet but am looking forward to it.

*Forgot to add pics of a recent celebrity-commissioned piece, will get onto that soon.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2012-04-03 02:21 am   Permalink

Where's that Paipo dude?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2012-04-03 02:21 am   Permalink

Where's that Paipo dude?

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 02:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-03 02:21, GROG wrote:
Where's that Paipo dude?

Sadly we dont get to play much these days as he is living an hour or so away in another town. A long overdue catch-up within the next couple of weeks though, to coincide with another drifting tiki-stoner friend. Ill club him for you.

Tama

JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-06 2:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-02 02:28, Tamapoutini wrote:
JT

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-06 6:33 pm   Permalink

Fantastic work! Love it!

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 5:01 pm   Permalink

Tama!
Welcome Back you Carvin Maniac!
About time you got up here in these galleries!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-10 12:20 pm   Permalink

WOW Tama, Nice update. I think there's a few here I haven't seen yet! Thanks.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation