best rums for the perfect navy grog
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 3:18 pm   Permalink

Need a light gold and dark

Light I generally use cruzan

Gold was thinking appleton v/x or could use cruzan dark which is goldish

Dark appleton extra

Will the balance be right - I hear a lot of people say meyers is good for mixing...not something I would normally get but I do love my navy grog

Trader vic navy grog not bum grog

Fire comments away

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 4:27 pm   Permalink

I think you're missing a rum there, dapuma1:

Demerara

TV recipe iirc is light, gold, and demerara rums; DtB is light, dark, demerara...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 4:28 pm   Permalink

my preference is to omit light/gold entirely, and go with 1.5 oz dark (esp. Gosling's) and 1.5 oz demerara (El Dorado any i can get my hands on)

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 4:45 pm   Permalink

He's right - Demerara should be included. And I like to include an ounce of Pussers just because I think a Navy Grog should have Navy Rum.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 9:18 pm   Permalink

Rum components for a Navy Grog:

A good quality light PR rum. I like Brugal, or Cruzan. Use a PR Gold rum if you want, Brugal Gold, Matuselem Gold, Bacardi 8 or Cruzan could all work here. Don't use a heavy Jamaican gold such as Appleton Special or V/X, as those rums are bigger and will through the drink out of balance.

A dark Jamaican. Preferably Coruba, though Myer's can work well too. Appleton (X/V, Reserve or 12 Year) aren't 'dark' per se, they're more 'amber' rums.

A Demerara is absolutely essential, maybe the most essential rum component of the Navy Grog.

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-04-02 21:20 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 9:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-02 16:45, arriano wrote:
He's right - Demerara should be included. And I like to include an ounce of Pussers just because I think a Navy Grog should have Navy Rum.

Pusser's is a good call, it contains aged Demerara in it's blend. It's the only Demerara-ish rum available in some areas.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-03 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-02 21:21, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Pusser's is a good call, it contains aged Demerara in it's blend. It's the only Demerara-ish rum available in some areas.

It is also, according to Pusser's (
link to the Pusser's history page), the original rum used in grog. The original grog was a kind of rum swill named after its inventor, Admiral Edward "Old Grog" Vernon. Old Grog, in turn, got his moniker from the grogram coat he was always seen wearing. He was not a popular guy among the sailors, especially, for not allowing them to drink straight rum on the ship anymore. Instead, they were only allowed to drink a very watered down rum cocktail with sugar and lime. Sailors called it "grog" disparagingly after the admiral.

But the rum itself was excellent, and still is. Pusser's is not my favorite rum, but because it was in the original grog concoction I prefer it to be the only rum in a Navy Grog. Haven't had one in at least two years. Maybe it's about time.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-03 10:50, The Gnomon wrote:
I prefer it to be the only rum in a Navy Grog. Haven't had one in at least two years. Maybe it's about time.

Aye!

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2012-04-03 11:57 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 12:51 pm   Permalink

Hey, let me toss my 2 pennies.

I double up on the Appleton VX rather than using the hard to find Demerara. I may also put a 1/2 ounce of Myers in with 1/2 oz of Appleton just for a little more flavor.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 4:35 pm   Permalink

Ok i have a lot of rum and I don't mind buying more heh that is my fav drink and the trader vics by me closed down

I don't have prussers but its always a reason to get some

I do have some lemon hart 80 and lemon hart 151 so I can use either (both old label)

I don't have any coruba but I think I can get some fairly easily

So assume I have lemon hart and st elizabeth allspcie dram going to track down some fresh white grapefruits (hard they usually just have pink around here) limes and then what are my other two rums?

Cruzan and coruba ? If coruba which one - I also believe prussers makes a couple types of rum I am isn't there a different colored cap

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-04-03 6:41 pm   Permalink

Pussers 95.5proof:

Coruba Dark:

This is the new label:

Here's the old label which may still be on some shelves:

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 7:36 pm   Permalink

As with the Mai-Tai playing around with different combinations of rum in a Navy Grog is half the fun. Some choices work better with simple syrup vs. honey mix depending on which recipe you are using.

By default I tend to use Cruzan Light, Lemon Hart or El Dorado 5, and then Coruba or Captain Morgan Black.

It can also be fun to double up the demerara and use El Dorado 3 for the light rum.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 8:47 pm   Permalink

its
1oz light - cruzan
1oz gold - LH 80 proof
1oz dark - Coruba or El Dorado
half the juice of one lime
3/4 oz grapefruit juice
1/4 oz simple syrup or honey mix
1/4oz st elizabeth allspice dram

honey mix or simple syrup i guess is the question then...any advice

Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 8:53 pm   Permalink

i dont have el dorado 5 either but i have been meaning to try el dorado as well as coruba

so i can go either way - same this with the honey syrup and or simple syrup

i guess from people more experienced will the coruba / el dorado go better with honey syrup v simple syrup

thanks
Dapuma

[ This Message was edited by: Dapuma1 2012-04-03 20:55 ]

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 9:08 pm   Permalink

Not quite.. El Dorado & Lemon Hart are both Demeraras.

You can't go wrong w/ Cruzan light, LH80, Coruba, lime & honey IMHO.

There's also 3/4oz soda h20 in this drink..

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation