FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food best rums for the perfect navy grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
best rums for the perfect navy grog
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-07 2:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-07 13:50, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
Okay, I'm having the hybrid Navy Grog above, with Orange Clover Honey Mix, and a 1/4 oz of STE Dram, Myers, LH151 & Cruzan White . . . very tasty, had to let the ice melt a bit though, that STEDram is a potent potable!

heh. not to mention LH 151...

actually, some of us make that hybrid recipe above with an oz of soda water also (per DtB formula)...

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2012-04-07 14:44 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-07 9:58 pm   Permalink

i have been looking online and it appears white grapefruit season is over

Does anyone see where i can order any in bulk

i found a place to order some meyer lemons (which are great for making drinks and also baking / cooking with) if anyone needs to find them if they are not local

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 12:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-07 21:58, Dapuma1 wrote:

i found a place to order some meyer lemons (which are great for making drinks and also baking / cooking with) if anyone needs to find them if they are not local

I can't vouch for them, but I found this online retailer from Florida:

http://www.halegroves.com/Fresh-White-Grapefruit-indian-river-grapefruit-226.cfm

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-08 00:23, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-04-07 21:58, Dapuma1 wrote:

I can't vouch for them, but I found this online retailer from Florida:

http://www.halegroves.com/Fresh-White-Grapefruit-indian-river-grapefruit-226.cfm

they are out of season they stop shipping the white ones on april 2nd, i found a few vendors but none shipping now

it appears texas arizona and cali produce the spring summer for the country but i dont see any place to order from them online, only flordia...perhaps they haven't ramped up their advertising until the end of the month

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-06 19:07, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
For that matter, where do you get 'fresh' white grapefruit juice in SMALL cans?

Don't know where you live, but here in So Cal you can get small cans of white grapefruit juice at Smart & Final

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-06 18:38, TikiSan wrote:
Where do you get fresh White Grapefruit?

Nearly every store here in Southern California only sells pink grapefruit.

I find it my local Ralphs. Have you tried there?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 3:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-03 18:41, Hakalugi wrote:
This is the new label:

All I have on hand is the old label. Is it just me or does the new label make it look like bottom shelf rum? Maybe it is now. The previous label was questionable. This one is pathetic.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 5:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-08 15:55, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-04-03 18:41, Hakalugi wrote:
This is the new label:

All I have on hand is the old label. Is it just me or does the new label make it look like bottom shelf rum? Maybe it is now. The previous label was questionable. This one is pathetic.

Over at the Ministry of Rum, Ed Hamilton said that Wray & Nephew (Appleton) not only changed Coruba's label, but they changed the formula as well. He says that Appleton wanted a more flavorful product:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5590&highlight=coruba

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-04-08 17:15 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 9:57 pm   Permalink

I live in the Central Valley, Northern California . . . we've a Smart & Final here so I'll check, thanks!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-10 9:35 pm   Permalink

here's what i used as the rums in my first post-Lent navy grog:

1 oz Cruzan light; 1 oz Yamazaki single malt; 1 oz Pierre Ferrand ambre; 1.5 teaspoons Macallan 12 year old; and a smidge of Hershey's syrup....

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-10 9:51 pm   Permalink

Egads

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-10 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-10 21:51, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
Egads

EGADS INDEED!!

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-11 05:35 am   Permalink

was out of rum except for the light Cruzan. the substitutes worked out surprisingly well.

Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-03 22:44, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
My favorite Navy Grog (the one that I am drinking at this very moment) is an amalgamation of Trader Vic's & Don The Beachcomber's recipes:

.75oz Lime Juice
.75oz White Grapefruit Juice
1oz PR/VI White Rum (Brugal, Cruzan)
1oz Jamaican Dark (Coruba, Myer's)
1oz Demerara Rum (ElDo12, LH80)
1oz Honey Syrup
1/4oz Allspice Dram (St Elizabeth, Bitter Truth, Berry Hill)

Since Pusser's is a blend of five West Indian rums, primarily Jamaican & Demerara rums, it might make an interesting and tasty single rum Navy Grog. Those of you with Pusser's in your bar-how about some first hand reports from the field??!

made this one it was very good, also tried adding 1 oz of club soda to it, didnt care for that
cruzan white coruba and lh 80 - which was my last drop of lh80 - but i have ed12 so that will have to work

Might try it a bit less sweet with .75 oz of honey syrup next time

They taste very similar to Trader Vics

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-15 3:21 pm   Permalink

We've confirmed that The Mai-Kai's version, called Yeoman's Grog, now contains both Lemon Hart and a rare dark Jamaican rum called Kohala Bay (formerly known as Wray & Nephew's 'Dagger'). Our guess on the third rum is a light Puerto Rican or Virgin Islands rum.

Check out the review and recipe here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/12/mai-kai-cocktail-review-even-landlubbers-can-appreciate-a-strong-ration-of-yeomans-grog/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation