FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvings by Atomic Mess
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Carvings by Atomic Mess
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 4:55 pm   Permalink

I agree with Will carve those stick men are creepy. I like!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 7:06 pm   Permalink

dude, that last one with the progress shots is killer...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 8:56 pm   Permalink

Sweet
Like the step by step pics
Way kool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 04:01 am   Permalink

Thanks again PJ and hang10 your feedback is well appreciated, I'll be posting some more step by steps soon.

Will and Cy, don't worry, those guys are pretty small-

or are they?

;]

thanks for the encouragement!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 04:07 am   Permalink

got a new toy today guys-

I've seen some of the experts here using a hook knife, I guess this is the low rent version-

I'll let you know how it goes after I try it out, if i've got any fingers left to type with...

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 07:47 am   Permalink

yeah man....

now yer cookin' with gas!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-25 11:11 pm   Permalink

I'm really digging your style - very imaginative. I can't believe that you use that box cutter to carve with! you have VERY good control with it! Keep carving and posting!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 12:15 pm   Permalink

Yikes. Save yourself some stiches and go with this...
https://warrencutlery.com/store/product-info.php?pid185.html

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 1:02 pm   Permalink

yeah, I need one of those too...

though my "fine detail" game is crap!

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 07:49 am   Permalink

I like the #8 and #10 blades - the others are good too, everyone has their own preference. Good disposible blades that can be sharpened and are difficult to break.
https://warrencutlery.com/store/product-info.php?pid227.html

You officially have been shown the light.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 08:07 am   Permalink

yeah, what's kinda funny is that I have no fear of big chainsaws,

but little tiny knives scare the shit out of me...lol.

Polynesiac

Posted: 2012-04-27 2:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha is right, the hook knife is much easier to control than the box cutter. I can barely control the box cutter when I cut boxes with it!!! The first carving I did I used an x-acto knife and a box cutter. Damn carving took FOREVER. Once you get used to the hook knife, things get faster and you can get some really nice detail with it as well.

Another alternative is to use a dremel. I carve all of my pendants and smaller carvings with a dremel and carving bits. I have used the hook knife and I like how it turns out, but for me the dremel is faster and easier. I give major props to the carvers you can wip out a pendant with a hook knife - there is a bit of a learning curve!

Either way you go Atomic and pjc5150, it's easier to control (and much safer) than the box cutter.

Have fun and keep posting!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 04:50 am   Permalink

Hey PJ isn't a chainsaw just a whole load of tiny knives attached to a chain that's spinning really fast? ;]

Aloha thanks, I didn't know about that one. I'll see if I can find those in the UK.

The new blade on the box cutter is pretty vicious, I was weaing a glove on my left hand but I still managed to nick the thumb of my right with the new blade - the hand that was holding the knife - what a dumbass!

I think it's partly what you're used to Polynesiac, I've been using the straight blade with the box cutter for a couple of years and it works for me, the new blade is going to take some time to get used to...
I used a dremel type tool on some parts of the small guys but I rarely use it anymore for two reasons-
1. I hate wearing goggles and a respirator when I'm carving
2. I prefer the marks you get from a knife and chisels

at the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter what we use as long as we get results and stay in one piece...

Anyway enough of my yakking here's some pics:

au natural-

the whole thing-

close ups-

I used a dremel type thing, a couple of chisels and the trusty box cutter ;]
can't remember what wood this is...

Thanks for looking,

Polynesiac

Posted: 2012-04-28 05:31 am   Permalink

I agree, use whatever you're comfortable with, because the end result is what counts! This latest tiki is great! I love the chunky, witco-ish feel to them.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 08:15 am   Permalink

Totally agree ^^^ You have a very Witcoish style that you bring. I'm really digging it.

Very cool stuff Mess!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation