FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvings by Atomic Mess
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Carvings by Atomic Mess
Keylo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-28 09:18 am   Permalink

Au Natural is Naturally Cool!

View Profile of Keylo Send a personal message to Keylo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 06:19 am   Permalink

Thanks again guys!

Got a more recent piece coming up. I've done some PNG shield/gope board style stuff in the past (will post them when I get round to photographing them) and I painted them in parts, so I wanted to try it out on more 3d piece.

I usually buy bits of mahogany or other decent wood to carve but i was worried about messing up a nice bit of wood with the paint so I decided to use a bit of pine I found in the street. I've carved pine before and it's a pain in the arse but this plank seemed to be really hard which I've not experienced with pine before - really chippy and easy to splinter but also super tough to cut!

Anyhow I finished eventually so here goes-

I decided to try and cut most of the outline with him still attached to the plank, I wasn't sure if the wood was treated so I wanted to use a hacksaw to rough it out and this gave me something to hold-

sorry for the crappy pictures, no daylight in England in January!

it was hard to get the details without splintering bits off...

all done with chisels, gouges, hand drill and box cutter...

I got excited and forgot to keep documenting the steps again...

I'll try and take some better pics if it ever stops raining!

Thanks for looking,

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 08:15 am   Permalink

That's really good Atomic Mess, great paint job and use of a found piece of wood!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 05:08 am   Permalink

Thanks Cy, you've got the paint thing down to a tee!

I went to the British Museum on Sunday, there's not much Oceanic art there but I took some pictures for reference,so here's a couple for you guys-

Cool dog carving from the Solomon Islands-

Nice Maori lintel-

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-11 06:03 am   Permalink

Hi Guys,

here's another recent piece, around 22cm tall, mahogany.

Sketching out...

basic shapes done with a hand drill, chisel and hacksaw...

more work on the face...

more work on the arms and trying to open out the back without snapping it!

finishing up the eyes

and the back

I think I'll call her Flopsy, reminds me a bit of a rabbit (or maybe I spent too long on Babalu's thread?)

time for a rest...

cheers

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Mess 2012-05-11 06:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Mess 2012-05-11 06:13 ]

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-11 09:54 am   Permalink

Nice carve.
I like how deep you carve.
The finish works good for you too.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Keylo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-11 10:15 am   Permalink

love the Atomic style.

View Profile of Keylo Send a personal message to Keylo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-11 3:43 pm   Permalink

Dude! That little guy is killer!

Keep em coming man!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 10:03 am   Permalink

I'm really diggin' the original style bro....very cool stuff.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 12:03 pm   Permalink

Yeah man! thats' the spirit.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 1:15 pm   Permalink

Will- I was trying to escape from the log or block in this case, as AlohaStation says on your thread-

Quote:

On 2012-01-20 07:40, AlohaStation wrote:

The really difficult thing is allowing your creative vision to dictate how you use the wood not the shape of the wood. There are times when the shape may accent the overall design (I know I'm very guilty of that), but to create a carving that looks nothing like a log is challenging. Carve Deep!!!

Thanks to all of you, I'm learning alot here and everyone's work and comments are inspiring!

anthonymaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 2:47 pm   Permalink

i love the face on the last one really nice work

View Profile of anthonymaye Send a personal message to anthonymaye  Email anthonymaye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 3:11 pm   Permalink

Loosing the shape of the wood is my favorite mantra. It's kinda the difference between a wood carver & just a Tiki carver.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 09:10 am   Permalink

Yeah I'm definitely trying for that. The arms, legs, hands and feet are tough - I want to keep it primitive but not too squared off if that makes sense? Still can't do it so I'm totally happy...

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 11:44 am   Permalink

Diggin the little squatting bird creature! Nice Work!

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation