[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Beat - San Diego
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Beat - San Diego
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-17 7:10 pm   Permalink

I noticed that the San Diego City Beat magazine has a full page ad for an event called "CityBeat Presents TikiBeat - The Official Start of Summer Pool Party." It's going to be Friday, May 11 from 6:30 to 10:30 pm at the Lafayette Hotel, 2223 El Cajon Blvd.

I've no idea how "tiki" this event will be. It lists live music, DJs, fashion show, art show, and more. And it doesn't say what the cost is, only that tickets will be available the night of the event only.

Just throwin' it out there.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCalTikiGal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-18 09:48 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting about this! I went to both the Lafayette website and the CityBeat website to look for more info (such as the ticket price), but with no luck--this doesn't even show up in their own event listings, which is odd. But I did find the ad in the online version of the issue, if anyone is interested:

View Profile of SoCalTikiGal Send a personal message to SoCalTikiGal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-18 10:32 pm   Permalink

Tiki Oasis will have a booth/art exhibit there. Seems like it will be fun.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-20 12:44 pm   Permalink

I see now that Secret Samurai will be playing a the event.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 3:05 pm   Permalink

there is some info on facebook about this event. sponsored by "Cuties for a Cause" to benefit a teen art group.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 3:11 pm   Permalink

OOPS......WRONG DATE.......WRONG EVENT.......SAME LOCATION I probably should pay more attention to details.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 4:00 pm   Permalink

I'm working on stuff for this show right now.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
John Slinger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-26 10:50 pm   Permalink

https://www.facebook.com/events/282614271824669/

Thanks for the heads up.

[ This Message was edited by: John Slinger 2012-04-26 22:51 ]

View Profile of John Slinger Send a personal message to John Slinger  Email John Slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-11 08:18 am   Permalink

Some friends and I are planning to go to this tonight. Anyone else?

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-11 12:36 pm   Permalink

Secret Samurai Will be playing two 45 minute sets:
8:20 - 9:05
9:35 - 10:20

enjoy, wish I could be there.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rapa Nui Rich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-11 4:26 pm   Permalink

I'll be there to check it out. However if it turns out not to be as tiki as I expected, or if I start to get a distinct age-inappropriate feeling, my visit will end.

View Profile of Rapa Nui Rich Send a personal message to Rapa Nui Rich  Email Rapa Nui Rich     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marion-n-brad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-12 08:37 am   Permalink

So how was Tiki Beat for those of you that went? Marion coudn't go at the last minute and we were wondering.

View Profile of marion-n-brad Send a personal message to marion-n-brad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 3:20 pm   Permalink

I thought it was pretty good, and my friends seemed to have a good time. It's a cool place for a pool party, and It was a good turnout with a really mixed crowd - rockabilly, tiki-philes, hipsters, and people who seemed like they really weren't sure why they were there. Nothing especially "tiki" about the event. Secret Samurai were really good, and the burlesque show was fun.

I think the funniest moment of the evening for me was when I went to one of the pool bars. Noticing that they had a few rums I asked what tropical drinks the bartender could make. He repled, "I can make a mai tai." I hesitantly said OK. He then proceeded to pour every fruit juice he had (pineapple, orange, cranberry, and god knows what else), plus a couple of rums, into a cup. I just had to laugh.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-12 15:20, arriano wrote:
He repled, "I can make a mai tai." I hesitantly said OK. He then proceeded to pour every fruit juice he had (pineapple, orange, cranberry, and god knows what else), plus a couple of rums, into a cup. I just had to laugh.

I wouldn't expect anything different.
sadly.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 4:37 pm   Permalink

Tiki Beat

May 10, 2013 - 6:30 to 10:30 pm
Lafayette Hotel - San Diego

Live music: Creepxotica, The Devastaors, Quintinn Holi of Hale Ukulele

Polynesian dancers and drummers, chainsaw art and Tiki Oasis Art Show

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/flex-262-tiki-beat.html

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-05-07 13:49 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation