[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grapefruit Woes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Grapefruit Woes
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-21 11:27 pm   Permalink

DAMN! The white grapefruit season is finished.

Over the past months here in the Midwest I have been spoiled by a continuous supply of the biggest, juiciest Oro Blancos that I've seen in years. Every grocery store in the area was stocked with white grapefruit that was heavy for its size, and laden with juice. That all ended this week; there's nothing to be found but ruby red grapefruit now. I'm drinking a Black Magic right now, and finished a Navy Grog ten minutes ago, and the drinks just aren't the same with red grapefruit juice; they lack acidity, 'bite', and classic grapefruit notes. In years past when white grapefruit hasn't been available I've resorted to using bottled white grapefruit juice, and adding small amounts of freshly squeezed red (or pink) grapefruit juice to freshen up the bottled stuff, with moderate success. So I'm wondering-what are other TCer's doing when they can't get fresh white grapefruit?

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 12:47 am   Permalink

Try the stuff in the cartons, as opposed to bottled. It's "less-unfresh."

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 12:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-22 00:47, jokeiii wrote:
Try the stuff in the cartons, as opposed to bottled. It's "less-unfresh."

Thanks for the reply Jokeiii. Just to be clear, what do you mean by cartons?

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 06:32 am   Permalink

I thought California Texas and Arizona started producing white grapefruit now? They are not avaliable year round? I know they are near impossible to find in AZ ever unless you know someone with a tree

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-22 11:56 am   Permalink

I can't get white grapefruit in any store within a couple hours of where I live. I can get them through one of our suppliers at work but the smallest pack size is 5 lbs. I can't go through 5 lbs. during their shelf life with drinks alone so I end up finding other uses for some. Beats not having them at all.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 6:20 pm   Permalink

By cartons I mean the stuff in the refrigerated case that comes in cartons, like milk or refrigerated OJ. My preference of this kind of juice is Florida's Natural but in some markets only the Ruby Red is available. Tropicana is pretty good in this format, too...and likely more readily available everywhere. (This stuff is miles better than juice in bottles or cans.)

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-04-22 18:23 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-22 18:20, jokeiii wrote:
By cartons I mean the stuff in the refrigerated case that comes in cartons, like milk or refrigerated OJ. My preference of this kind of juice is Florida's Natural but in some markets only the Ruby Red is available. Tropicana is pretty good in this format, too...and likely more readily available everywhere. (This stuff is miles better than juice in bottles or cans.)

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-04-22 18:23 ]

Damn, that would be perfect! Unfortunately, just as you said, only ruby red is available in cartons in these parts.

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 8:25 pm   Permalink

As far as I can tell, there is only one not-from-concentrate white grapefruit (actually a combo of white and pink but not ruby red) available in a carton in Alberta, which is the 100% Florida Grapefruit from Superstore. However, I'm on holiday in Phoenix right now and I just made a few drinks from grapefruits freshly picked from my uncle's tree and I can truly say I will never be able to duplicate these back home. Fresh (really fresh) squeezed makes an enormous difference!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-23 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-22 19:23, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

Damn, that would be perfect! Unfortunately, just as you said, only ruby red is available in cartons in these parts.

Many grocery stores, maybe most, will order things they can get but don't stock if you are willing to buy whole cases. If they stock ruby red, but can get white if they wanted, they should be able to order a case for you. You might have to pay in advance if they don't want to stock the item and they don't want to get stuck with it if you don't buy it once it comes in. No harm in asking.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-23 1:19 pm   Permalink

Incidentally, fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice freezes pretty well.

Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 10:25 pm   Permalink

saw a simply grapefruit in the store today but it didnt look golden it had a redish hue, i think i have no choice but to go with the ocean spray in the big jug

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-26 22:25, Dapuma1 wrote:
saw a simply grapefruit in the store today but it didnt look golden it had a redish hue, i think i have no choice but to go with the ocean spray in the big jug

That's what I ended up doing tonight. It was either that or squeezing a ruby red. I added a little freshly squeezed ruby red juice into the Ocean Spray to give the bottled juice some freshness. It's working OK, but fresh white juice is still the tops.

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 11:07 pm   Permalink

I'm drinking a Navy Grog made with the Ocean spray bottled white grapefruit juice, spiked with some fresh squeezed ruby red juice.

The result is a pretty anemic drink; it lacks pungent grapefruit character, "punch", and acidity. Upon reconsideration, I think that ANY fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, regardless of variety, is preferable to this kind of bottled juice.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 11:13 pm   Permalink

Grapefruit, Grapefruit, Bla Bla Bla, Grapefruit........ad nauseum

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 11:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-27 23:13, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Grapefruit, Grapefruit, Bla Bla Bla, Grapefruit........ad nauseum

It's a vital component of Tiki cocktails. We shouldn't discuss?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation