FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grapefruit Woes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Grapefruit Woes
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-11-02 04:37 am   Permalink

48 cans, 5.5 oz each, about $20 if you can find it. Go online and search. Supplies are limited.

It's maddening that pink juice is all around us but white juice is not.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-11-02 04:47 am   Permalink

Another option, from my past... Currently $3.26 each bottle from Jet.com plus $5.99 shipping. Ships free if you order $35 or more. This used to be available from Walmart using their free website-to-store shipping, but at the moment they're only carrying the canned version of the product from a third party, and only one pack of the cans are left in stock at the moment. The Ocean Spray products feature juice from concentrate and water - pretty clean stuff. They are pasteurized so definitely a second-tier option way behind the awesomeness of fresh fruit juice. I really dislike the effect of pasteurization on juice flavor, but that's a requirement to extend shelf life from packaging to shipping to sales.

Watch those web searches -- "white grapefruit" often yields "white grape" products in search results.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-11-02 08:24 am   Permalink

At least there's some encouraging news on the grapefruit front.

It sounds like Florida growers have made a fantastic recovery from a few years ago.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/277368-citrus-growers-get-a-dose-of-good-news

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-11-03 5:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Ace. I've been contemplating those 5.5 cans, but I can't decide if I can use up 48 can in a reasonable amount of time.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-11-05 05:41 am   Permalink

Perhaps because of that good crop, we now have fresh ones in the grocery store here. One store chain always keeps them in season. Woo hoo!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-11-05 08:40 am   Permalink

Fresh ones seem pretty non-existant now but I have a friend with a tree, new crop will come in December. I was able to find bottled white at Von's past week, Von's "Signature" brand. Not bad for bottled juice

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo

Posted: 2018-11-05 9:08 pm   Permalink

Since Vons and Safeway are owned by Albertsons, I'm pretty sure that Signature brand white grapefruit juice is the same stuff that my local store discontinued. I thought it was pretty good, too (considering I've never tested the fresh-squeezed stuff).

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-11-09 8:10 pm   Permalink

From August until mid-October I was finding white grapefruit in the organic produce department of the larger Kroger stores here in the greater Cincinnati area. They seem to be gone now, but I can find light pink grapefruit there. In the regular produce section, however, there's only the wretched red variety to be found.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-11-11 10:30 am   Permalink

Just found white grapefruit juice at Safeway in Fremont, CA

View Profile of kevincrossman Send a personal message to kevincrossman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo

Posted: 2018-11-17 7:03 pm   Permalink

Whew. The store brand (pasteurized, from-concentrate) white grapefruit juice has returned to my local shelves, too.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation