FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grapefruit Woes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Grapefruit Woes
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-04-27 11:50 pm   Permalink

Agreed, fresh white grapefruit juice can be key. Fortunately, when fresh white grapefruit is not found locally, internet sellers are there to step in. Okay, so it might mean some extra $$ but it's there.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.halegroves.com/Fresh-White-Grapefruit-indian-river-grapefruit-226.cfm

http://www.orangesonline.com/whitegrapefruit/

http://www.crosscreekgroves.com/White-Grapefruit.aspx

http://www.boudriasgroves.com/whitegrapefruit.php

Google is your friend...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 12:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-27 23:50, Hakalugi wrote:
Agreed, fresh white grapefruit juice can be key. Fortunately, when fresh white grapefruit is not found locally, internet sellers are there to step in. Okay, so it might mean some extra $$ but it's there.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.halegroves.com/Fresh-White-Grapefruit-indian-river-grapefruit-226.cfm

http://www.orangesonline.com/whitegrapefruit/

http://www.crosscreekgroves.com/White-Grapefruit.aspx

http://www.boudriasgroves.com/whitegrapefruit.php

Google is your friend...

Thanks for posting those links Hakalugi! Many of us pay to order rums, syrups etc that we can't get at home, so why not the fruit as well?

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 2:07 pm   Permalink

Most of those places the Marsh Grapefruits are out of season

Also they cannot ship citrus into AZ - some state law

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 12:22 pm   Permalink

I mark the passing of the season by buying as much as I can (was sleeping at the switch this year, My lovely wife Heather got the last 30 at our local produce market):

I squeezed & freezed about 196oz (1.5 gal) of the liquid gold. I hope it gets me through. That will make about 261 Navy Grogs. Hm. That may not be enough!

We tiki folk love our Grapefruit - it's part of the Barbados trinity: Rum, grapefruit, Falernum.

Here's how crazy I get -- I even cut my globes a certain way to assure the highest quality of juice:

The Cutting of the Grapefruit
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-04 2:11 pm   Permalink

I'm surprised you can get white grapefruit in Portland, OR, while it is nearly impossible to buy them in the store here in Southern California. We have tons of Ruby Red grapefruit, pomelos, and oroblancos, but not actual white grapefruit. The best way to find them here in SoCal is to find someone with a tree. I did see them for sale once in Whole Foods a couple of years ago.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 2:33 pm   Permalink

I hear the same thing from my friends in So Cal. It was a very strange (and happy) discovery come winter grapefruit season when I found the local 'regular' Fred Meyer's grocery stores stock the (what I assume to be) Marsh seedless whites.

We have a local 'cruchy-granola' chain called New Seasons that goes futher and stocks Oroblanco, Melogold, Chandler Pomelos, 'cocktail' citrus (another grapefruit hybrid), Ugli fruit, etc.

And apart from the generic whites (usually from Florida), the rare varietals are all FROM So Cal!

I mean - the horticultural citrus mecca is right there at
UC Riverside...

Quote:

On 2012-05-04 14:11, TikiSan wrote:
I'm surprised you can get white grapefruit in Portland, OR, while it is nearly impossible to buy them in the store here in Southern California. We have tons of Ruby Red grapefruit, pomelos, and oroblancos, but not actual white grapefruit. The best way to find them here in SoCal is to find someone with a tree. I did see them for sale once in Whole Foods a couple of years ago.

TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 8:47 pm   Permalink

have any of youse ever been hit by a flying grapefruit? those suckers hurt, man. be careful of what you wish for...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 1:29 pm   Permalink

found some marsh grapefruit at whole foods, they are awesome - navy groging it up

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 11:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-12 13:29, Dapuma1 wrote:
found some marsh grapefruit at whole foods, they are awesome - navy groging it up

What city are you in?

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-13 10:16 am   Permalink

i found that in the south they still sell canned white grapefruit juice, which was a pleasant surprise when we were traveling through Georgia, the Carolinas, and Alabama. Maybe you can order from a grocery chain there. Friends of mine are now renting a house that has two white grapefruit trees in their yard so i now have access to fresh juice, which here is pretty much year around.
Will try to pick some up before heading to Tiki Ti on wednesday for anyone local interested

[ This Message was edited by: OceaOtica 2012-05-13 10:18 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-14 11:30 am   Permalink

Unless I'm making large batches of the Reverb Crash (4oz of white grapefruit juice per drink) the large bottles of Ocean Spray white grapefruit juice available here will go "off" before I can use it up.
To solve this problem I buy a case of 48 Ocean Spray 5.5oz cans of the juice for about $36. delivered from Amazon.com. It may seem pricey to some, but I don't have to worry about the juice going off as I can use it up much quicker.
Now . . . fresh white grapefruits are nearly impossible to find - even here in Florida. It seems that the pink and ruby red are all that are carried in the grocery stores. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 7:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-14 11:30, GentleHangman wrote:
Unless I'm making large batches of the Reverb Crash (4oz of white grapefruit juice per drink) the large bottles of Ocean Spray white grapefruit juice available here will go "off" before I can use it up.
To solve this problem I buy a case of 48 Ocean Spray 5.5oz cans of the juice for about $36. delivered from Amazon.com. It may seem pricey to some, but I don't have to worry about the juice going off as I can use it up much quicker.
Now . . . fresh white grapefruits are nearly impossible to find - even here in Florida. It seems that the pink and ruby red are all that are carried in the grocery stores. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

Just curious if you ever run across the Indian River grapefruit down there in Florida? I remember seeing a lot of them when I was in Marco Island a few years ago. Anyone know how they work in cocktails??

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-15 08:26 am   Permalink

Quote:
Just curious if you ever run across the Indian River grapefruit down there in Florida? I remember seeing a lot of them when I was in Marco Island a few years ago. Anyone know how they work in cocktails??
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, but sadly no white grapefruit- ruby red yes/white no. I've even checked the roadside produce/fruit stands along US1 from Stuart to Vero Beach. Most of the groves are now gone - replaced by developments or "Tree Farms". Even the movie star Frances Langford had her own small grove in Jensen Beach where lemons, limes and two varieties of grapefruit were grown - for her Outrigger Restaurant - but they're gone now as well. And yes, Indian River citrus worked extremely well in cocktails; mostly orange juice and red/pink grapefruit. The orange and pink grapefruit juice is still available in the stores.
A few years ago an outbreak of citrus cankor(sp?) affected many of the large groves to the extent that they never recovered. Even the orange season isn't what it used to be. Now most of our citrus comes from California - our limes from Maxico.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-29 11:56 pm   Permalink

I am very, very thrilled to report that after months of searching I found the very first White Grapefruit of the season at Kroger today. I am drinking the best Navy Grog that I've had in months right now. Here's to a long, juicy White Grapefruit season!

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-06-30 7:05 pm   Permalink

As a tip for those in Southern California, check your local farmers market. I came away from grocery stores empty handed time and again. But my local farmers market has plenty of Oro Blanco grapefruit, and for cheap. It's now a regular stop for me and I can stop searching megamarts.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation