[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grapefruit Woes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Grapefruit Woes
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-30 7:12 pm   Permalink

A good tip for those who live in Southern California. Just plant a white grapefruit tree....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fish Canoe

Posted: 2012-07-18 5:52 pm   Permalink

Forgive my uncultured palette, but I just love ruby red grapefruit.

View Profile of Fish Canoe Send a personal message to Fish Canoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 08:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-18 17:52, Fish Canoe wrote:
Forgive my uncultured palette, but I just love ruby red grapefruit.

Honestly, I think fresh red gf works great; if it's considered too sweet, just back of the sugar/sugar syrup in the recipe

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 11:33 am   Permalink

I've found White Grapefruit at Bristol Farms and State Bros in L.A. and Orange County for $2 each in the past couple of months.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-30 19:12, hiltiki wrote:

A good tip for those who live in Southern California. Just plant a white grapefruit tree....

That is ideal if you have the yard space. How long do the trees take until they start producing usable fruit? I see White Grapefruit trees for sale at Home Depot, Costco, and several other stores.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 11:47 am   Permalink

I too am a fan of the UNSWEETENED, 100% ruby red juice (not the 40% juice/60% sugar water Ocean Spray stuff) Simply Grapefruit is a good brand for me ~ fresh, not from concentrate, no preservatives, readily avail at WalMart and Von's/Safeway. It even freezes well without the quality suffering too much - I keep an emergency bottle in the freezer and rotate it out every month or so.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 8:25 pm   Permalink

Ha Ha ATP . @ CincyTikicraig. We just got to make do whats available to us. Yes. Bottled white grape fruit juice is not the same. Its 100% but its from concentrate. Not the best, but you will have to wait till next season.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 07:02 am   Permalink

Thanks to Q-Tiki, I found white grapefruits in town. Very short time here. I intend to make Navy Grogs for a taste comparison.

Does anyone know:
How can I make the fruit last longer? Fridge or on the counter? I am considering grabbing a bunch more, but want them to last. I got a fairly green one as a hedge.

How can I make the juice last longer. Someone mentioned freezing it. Any experience?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 07:09 am   Permalink

Too laet! I answered my own questions:

When you are shopping for your citrus fruits, seek ones that are firm and the heavier the better. Heavier citrus fruits will contain additional juice inside of them then the ones that are lighter in weight which are much better for juicing and also for making any cakes out of your citrus fruits. Do not select ones that are wrinkled or have shriveled skins on them as they may be rather dry inside and not worth your money. Citrus fruits that do not have any spots that may be dried out, rough or moldy are ones to leave at the store. To begin storing your fruits, you can generally leave them on a counter top for five to seven days just at room temperature. Do not leave the citrus fruits in a path of heavy direct sunlight such as under a skylight or right next to a window. If you wish to prolong the lifespan of your citrus fruits, you can place them in any type of plastic bag or some prefer a cheesecloth wrapping and store them right in the refrigerator. It is safe to place them on a shelf or inside a crisper drawer in there to extend the life of your oranges, grapefruits and lemons. When you keep them fresh by refrigerating them, you can actually keep them for a few weeks as opposed to the average few days you receive out of leaving them on the counter. Choose the best looking citrus you can find at your local market and store them properly to lock in those flavors and enjoy them much longer.

The bottom line is, put them in a plastic bag (to prevent them from drying out) in the fridge and they will last 4 times as long.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-09 08:16 am   Permalink

I have my own pink grapefruit, orange and lime trees, and they produce excellent juices. I freeze juice for the off-season and use specialty ice molds to make storage easier and more dense than traditional cube trays. (I will try to post a photo in the near future.) This works very well, I have not been disappointed. It also allows me to make spur-of-the-moment cocktails when I don't have fresh fruits to juice at home and I don't want to make a midnight run to a grocery store. Freezing fresh juices is a good way for me to increase the "spontaneity factor" in addition to helping maintain the quality of what I can serve in my home.

Side note -- Any "made from concentrate" juice tends to be very inferior, in my experience, so I go out of my way to avoid it if at all possible. I am seriously considering planting white grapefruit if I can find a nice location with adequate sun. I'm moving to a new home where the landscaping includes a lot of tall oak trees. Will also be considering the addition of some tropical palms, etc. too, just to confuse and mess with the neighbors. heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 08:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-09 08:16, AceExplorer wrote:
I have my own pink grapefruit, orange and lime trees, and they produce excellent juices. I freeze juice for the off-season and use specialty ice molds to make storage easier and more dense than traditional cube trays. (I will try to post a photo in the near future.) This works very well, I have not been disappointed. It also allows me to make spur-of-the-moment cocktails when I don't have fresh fruits to juice at home and I don't want to make a midnight run to a grocery store. Freezing fresh juices is a good way for me to increase the "spontaneity factor" in addition to helping maintain the quality of what I can serve in my home.

Side note -- Any "made from concentrate" juice tends to be very inferior, in my experience, so I go out of my way to avoid it if at all possible. I am seriously considering planting white grapefruit if I can find a nice location with adequate sun. I'm moving to a new home where the landscaping includes a lot of tall oak trees. Will also be considering the addition of some tropical palms, etc. too, just to confuse and mess with the neighbors. heh...

That makes sense. Freeze the juice in an ice tray and then transfer to zip-lock bags to keep it from dehyrating. Worth a try. Especially if we get hooked on this fresh juice. Going to do a trial run of Navy Grogs tonight to see how it compares.

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 09:10 am   Permalink

Yup... I bought a couple of extra ice trays just for juice cubes. I was totally surprised to find the whites here in Knoxville. It's the first time i have seen them.
I guess I'll be juicing very soon!

Cheers and Aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation