FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Grapefruit Woes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Grapefruit Woes
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-28 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-07 23:21, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-03-07 16:02, cvcgolf wrote:
This Hemingway is fantastic.. Tastes great and you feel it too..

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/hemingway-daiquiri-recipe.html

Excellent drink but certainly not a daiquiri.
Try this one, La Floridita in Havana claims they make them like this;

1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 ounce lime juice
1 1/2 ounce light rum
5 drops “marrasquino”
4 ounces crushed ice
Blend until smooth and serve.
They used Havana Club3 year old. I use Luxardo Maraschino liquor.
I also prefer mine shaken with ice cubes and poured into a glass unstrained
Cheers

Going to make this drink.
Get this I have everything to make this, but the ice!
Even have the Havana Club3 year.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bkrownd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-28 5:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-28 15:53, OnyaBirri wrote:
Late to the party.

I can't find white grapefruit at all, let alone a not-from-concentrate grapefruit juice. Red and pink are everywhere.

Yep, it seems ruby red is all the stores will carry these days. This week I finally found some white grapefruit in Hawaii for the first time, at work. I think it came from someone's yard.

View Profile of bkrownd Send a personal message to bkrownd      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-04-28 10:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-28 15:53, OnyaBirri wrote:
Late to the party.

I can't find white grapefruit at all, let alone a not-from-concentrate grapefruit juice. Red and pink are everywhere.

For the drinks that call for white grapefruit juice, which is the lesser of two evils? Using white grapefruit juice from concentrate, or red grapefruit juice not-from-concentrate?

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2016-04-28 16:32 ]

I've messed around with a lot of different grapefruit varieties this past year and have found that fresh squeezed is always best, regardless of color. It's been established that white grapefruit is a dying breed that's super hard to find in most places and the season for it is short so your quandary isn't uncommon. I know some people swear by the ocean Spray white in the plastic bottles but to me fresh squeezed, even if it's red, beats any bottled kind I've tried, even if it's not from concentrate. But everyone has their own personal taste preference so experiment and see what works for you!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-29 03:15 am   Permalink

I totally agree mikehooker. That bottled stuff is really bitter, and I'm not totally convinced that it is 100% white gf juice either. When fresh, I find the flavor profiles of white & pink gf to be similar enough. Just no reason not to go fresh squeezed for me, makes your drink 100x better.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-29 04:14 am   Permalink

I agree with Mike and happy buddha -- I've been avoiding the white vs. pink debate for a number of years. One of the problems I have with the store bought juices -- all of them -- is that they are generally pasteurized. The heat of pasteurization does impact the chemistry of the juice and alters the flavor and even the appearance of juices. I really dislike the taste of any pasteurized juices, they just don't compare to fresh squeezed. (I have not explored juices at local healthy food stores though -- except for the awesome POM mango pomegranate -- and they may have some really nice fresh juices in the healthy grocers like Whole Foods, etc.)

I get free pink grapefruit from my trees, and the fresh squeezed juice is superb. I think it is just a tad sweeter than white, but not by much, and from my comparisons I've not had any reason to make a big deal about it. However -- big thing to note here -- is that my palate tends to prefer slightly more sweetened drinks than most. This is also why I haven't bothered to go out and buy a white grapefruit tree, although I'm not sure I've seen them for sale in the local nurseries.

I do freeze leftover juice in 1 oz sticks, so even when the fruit isn't in season, I have no need to buy in the store for those spur-of-the-moment cocktail cravings. For special events I do squeeze fresh fruit to ensure there are no quality issues, as fresh is always preferable to frozen juice. Frozen juice is a great convenience, but fresh is always preferred if you have the option available, or the time to run out and buy.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-29 04:50 am   Permalink

Thanks all! I guess I will try some fresh squeezed red/pink and see how it goes. I agree that the flavor profiles are very similar. Regarding the sweetness factor, I can always back off a tad on the sweetener. Thanks again!

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-29 09:25 am   Permalink

It you can find it, you should try the juices from Natalie's. They are so good that my craft cocktail company, The Straw Hat Barmen used them instead of fresh-squeezed. I have done multiple taste tests behind the bar and they are just as good as fresh squeezed. They even have a lime juice, which may be harder to get, but is a real God-send for us tiki folks. No more lime-ageddon worries and having to figure out how many limes you need to buy to get 80 oz!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-29 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-29 04:50, OnyaBirri wrote:
I agree that the flavor profiles are very similar. Regarding the sweetness factor, I can always back off a tad on the sweetener. Thanks again!

Exactly what I do - adjust the sweet elements of the drink if needed.

Tikihardbop's suggestion to use Natalie's juices is a good one. His bartending team have the experience to have made good comparisons.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-29 12:08 pm   Permalink

I also agree. I often use fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice in many, if not all, tiki drink recipes. We just seem to have them readily available so often that it is hard to not sub them out for white juice, not to mention the freshness factor. They look/smell/taste great fresh no matter what the color is inside.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-29 12:27 pm   Permalink

Luna, it's nice to see pink grapefruit juice users speaking out more openly. I have, in the past, experienced a bit of scorn and disdain from other tiki cocktailians when I shared my thoughts. One person dedicated an entire podcast to nicely reviewing and discussing the issue before concluding that it was essential to always favor the white grapefruit. It was a very informative podcast, there was no bad juju therein whatsoever, but it did lead me to question what I was personally thinking. In the end, luna, I also continued using pink grapefruit because of how readily available it is. Some still insist in their recipes that you must use white juice instead of pink, and I respect that but find it very hard to comply.

Hey, it's all good!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-29 1:51 pm   Permalink

Ace, I do like to have white on hand and I buy the Ocean Spray stuff when I can find it. I understand the arguements against using pink and I am a recipe purist so I do try my best to have the white on hand.

There is a definate difference between the white and the pink. I think that tiki drink recipes usually use such a small amount of grapefruit, whether it is Don's Mix or 1/2 oz in a drink, that the flavor difference is small enough that most* people won't notice it. Some of us here may notice the difference, but fresh versus pasturized, we might still think fresh tastes better.

I never did sub pink for white until recently. Seems like my family and friends were always buying bags of pink from the farmers markets for like $3 for a dozen huge, juicy grapefruits. They wouldn't be able to finish them, and I hate having stuff go to waste so I started juicing and subbing. The fresh vs bottled is really where it makes a big difference for me.

edited a spelling error...

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2016-04-29 13:53 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-30 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-29 09:25, TikiHardBop wrote:
It you can find it, you should try the juices from Natalie's.

Thanks! I just made an Ancient Mariner with Natalie's fresh pink grapefruit juice, and it is killer! I had been making these with Ocean Spray white, and this drink with Natalie's is so much better. Pink is IMO very close to white in flavor, It is the red that is really different. Thanks again for the heads up!

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-01 09:05 am   Permalink

Let the Natalie's folks know! They have been slow with the concept of promoting their product for use in cocktails.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-01 2:11 pm   Permalink

Let the Natalie's folks know! They have been slow with the concept of promoting their product for use in cocktails.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-02 07:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-29 13:51, lunavideogames wrote:
Ace, I do like to have white on hand and I buy the Ocean Spray stuff when I can find it. I understand the arguements against using pink and I am a recipe purist so I do try my best to have the white on hand.

There is a definate difference between the white and the pink. I think that tiki drink recipes usually use such a small amount of grapefruit, whether it is Don's Mix or 1/2 oz in a drink, that the flavor difference is small enough that most* people won't notice it. Some of us here may notice the difference, but fresh versus pasturized, we might still think fresh tastes better.

I never did sub pink for white until recently. Seems like my family and friends were always buying bags of pink from the farmers markets for like $3 for a dozen huge, juicy grapefruits. They wouldn't be able to finish them, and I hate having stuff go to waste so I started juicing and subbing. The fresh vs bottled is really where it makes a big difference for me.

I'm a recipe purist as well, and there is a difference between white and pink, but I gave up on the pink versus white debate exactly because many recipes use a small amount of grapefruit juice. It came down to the reality that my super-careful measurements from jigger-to-jigger always vary by a few drops, and my choice of sugar syrups, bitters, rum brands, etc. also were variables, that the whole white-versus-pink thing became less relevant. But I still struggle with the fact that I'm a drink purist when trying new cocktails -- it is important to at least try to duplicate what the recipe wants to put forward. I have a very hard time with store-bought pasteurized juices - they never look "real" to me like fresh squeezed, it's like they've added stuff to make the juices very opaque. Ugh...

Having said all that, I've been picking up that the minor variations in drinks are hard to avoid, and that bartenders and drink creators tend not to let that get in the way too much, and they just accept it. (Please don't shoot me for saying that - I'm still observing this, so am not 100% committed to that statement.) I think this leads to a much more relaxed and enjoyable experience for the bartender while still not being careless or reckless like you find at many "pop" or sports bars where they think little or nothing of substituting ingredients and quickly free-pouring.

This grapefruit white-versus-pink thing is one of the few (or only) compromises I make. My attention to detail and authenticity has driven me to the point that I have now come to own about 95% of the ingredients listed in the Total Tiki app. I checked that over the weekend, yikes... I could have bought a small car with the money I've spent on building my bar. I have no regrets.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation