FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grapefruit Woes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Grapefruit Woes
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-05 5:20 pm   Permalink

I planted this dwarf white grapefruit tree about 4 years ago.

too Lazy to pick up the ones that drop.

There's always some grapefruit available if I need to make a cocktail that calls for white grapefruit.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-12-07 08:40 am   Permalink

I found some white grapefruit at Whole Foods yesterday. Any tips on freezing for later use? I guess it is simply juicing, freeze in ice cube tray and then store in a ziploc freezer bag?

Thanks,

Rick

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-12-07 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-12-07 08:40, rbeyer68 wrote:
Any tips on freezing for later use?

Rick, that's great news. Do a search here for freezing juices and you'll see a number of us have traded stories and experiences. I'm a squeeze-and-freeze guy myself and have great success with it. Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-12-07 2:42 pm   Permalink

Good deal. I will look for that information.

Rick

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-21 2:37 pm   Permalink

Cocktail grapefruit are starting to show up at 99 Ranch markets, if you're lucky enough to have one near you.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-12-21 3:24 pm   Permalink

We've got Oro Blanco's at Whole Foods in Austin right now. I'm actually still trying to work my way through my stash of frozen juice from last August's short lived harvest. I think I froze about 24 ounces. The juice is still good. And many Navy Grogs are in my future.

Side note: I don't like the California oro's as much as the Florida white's that one of my upscale grocers carried last year. I hope those make their way here.

Quote:

On 2016-12-07 08:40, rbeyer68 wrote:
I found some white grapefruit at Whole Foods yesterday. Any tips on freezing for later use? I guess it is simply juicing, freeze in ice cube tray and then store in a ziploc freezer bag?

Thanks,

Rick

That's exactly what I do. Make sure to strain the juice before pouring into the trays to get rid of any pulp. I found some great silicone trays at my grocer for a few bucks each (I may have posted them in this thread a while back) that hold exactly 1/2 oz per cube and they pop out cleanly with ease. You should probably avoid the plastic ones or ones that are super cheap. I store the cubes in freezer bags and pull out as many cubes as I will need for the drinks I'm planning to make maybe an hour or so in advance to allow it to thaw. Navy Grogs all year long. It's a great thing.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-12-22 07:28 am   Permalink

Thanks. I have one down the street.

Rick

Quote:

On 2016-12-21 14:37, HopeChest wrote:
Cocktail grapefruit are starting to show up at 99 Ranch markets, if you're lucky enough to have one near you.

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-12-22 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-12-21 15:24, mikehooker wrote:
We've got Oro Blanco's at Whole Foods in Austin right now.

I stand corrected. A buddy of mine told me Whole Foods had white grapefruit so I assumed it was the same breed they carried a few months back but popped in yesterday to get some and they are in fact the much larger and more delicious Florida whites right now. I freakin' love these things!

Picked up four to start with but might go back for ten more just to squeeze and freeze.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-12-22 11:09 am   Permalink

I have been very happy with the two that I froze a few weeks ago. I definitely need to go back and get some more.

Rick

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation