FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Grapefruit Woes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Grapefruit Woes
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-02 12:04 pm   Permalink

Made that drink Ace.
It was ok.
Can't believe that I bought an eye dropper to make a drink.

And on the grapefruit juice we used to get this white grapefruit juice from Bluebird.
It was not good, BUT it came in small can and this was good because we almost never sold it and in a small can it never went bad.

Sooo you need to remember that maybe on some of these drinks they did not go what is THE best thing we can put in this drink, it may have been more of a hey we got this and it's not bad.

While the white may be better than the red or pink who knows.
Could be the best juice for tiki drink is a crappy one like the stuff we used to get.
We got this juice because it was the only one that came in the small 5 ounce can, lots of bars used to use it too.

But when talking to some of the people who put in these tiki bars of old they were a lot less careful and exacting than some here on TC.

And heck what these days is the same as it was back then?
We had to change some of our recipes because the FLOUR was not the same as it was when we first started making pancakes.

Take margarine the have changed it so much some brands can't call it margarine anymore.
So now call it a spread.

"Since the fat content is not regulated in spreads, many brands will substitute water for oil. In some brands, they have increased the percentage of water up to 40%. That’s almost half water!"

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bluebird-100-grapefruit-juice-24-5-5-oz-cans/161272.ip

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-02 12:58 pm   Permalink

Good points, Skip. I have thought a little bit about how high quality some of today's stuff is, you're on to something that similar quality stuff wasn't available in the first heyday of tiki. So today we're likely drinking things which exceed what Vic and Don enjoyed. Neat thought.

You're right about small cans too -- I make Painkillers for my better half once in a while, and the small cans of pineapple juice are very convenient cuz they're always ready without refrigeration.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-02 1:21 pm   Permalink

"I have thought a little bit about how high quality some of today's stuff is"
It can go the other way too.
Like grenadine that used to be made from Pomegranate but is now cherry juice mostly.

Guess the best you can do is try to make a similar drink that tastes good.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-02 1:40 pm   Permalink

The other way... Yikes!

I think you hit the nail on the head with Grenadine as a good example. I just listened to an episode of the 5 Minutes Of Rum podcast this morning and Kevin mentioned that grenadine is now best made at home. The store-bought stuff today is just not true to the real pomegranate origins of the syrup.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-02 4:34 pm   Permalink

Home made grenadine is awesome!
I make sorbet with it and put it in strawberry rhubarb pie, mostly cooking.

But think of anything with sugar in it from the past like say Coke.
Don't know what they are using for sugar but it's not sugar as it once was.

Now is that good or bad, who knows.
But beating your head on a wall to make a drink just as it was in the past is almost impossible.

It's ok to look for the mixer that works best for your needs but just saying if you are going to be true it's not always going to be just like what they used in the past.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-02 4:40 pm   Permalink

Here it is....
"Nearly 30 years ago, Coca-Cola switched over from sugar to high-fructose corn syrup to sweeten America’s beloved carbonated soft drink. With corn subsidized by the government, its sugary syrup became a more affordable option for the beverage company"

"Actually, the sweetener used in Coca-Cola varies from country to country based on what ingredient is most affordable for the bottling plant’s location. And in many countries, Mexico included, Coke is still made with real sugar'

And you can bet the ingredients in many things has done the same thing.
Heck the Ice may be the only thing you can make in the same way they did back then.

Wait, When did they start adding fluoride to the water?

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 3:29 pm   Permalink

Say what now? I thought the season for white grapefruit was late winter? The only white gf I've seen in TX were from FL, not Cali. Curious to see how the flavors compare.

This comes at a perfect time as just the other night I finished off the 24 ounces I squoze and froze from last seasons harvest.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 9 days ago; 2:46 pm   Permalink

Whole Foods in Austin has been keeping two breeds of white grapefruit in stock. I had tried the non organic whites first and they were incredible. Then I gave the oro blancos a shot. I don't like them quite as much but still happy to have them around for Navy Grogs and Floridita Daiquiris.

Tonight I might try a Reverb Crash. What other drinks would ya'll recommend making besides Zombies and the others I've mention while I have this abundance of white grapefruit at my disposal?

EDIT: Just remembered to add rum barrels and big bamboos to the list.

[ This Message was edited by: mikehooker 2016-08-14 15:04 ]

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 10:47 pm   Permalink

Mike, Dis is one of my fav’s.
It’s a BIg tasty drink
Cheers

OFFICIAL MAI-KAI RECIPE
The Mai-Kai Barrel O’ Rum
(From Beachbum Berry’s Taboo Table)

Barrel O' Rum by The Atomic Grog, June 2011.(Photo by Hurricane Hayward)
2 ounces white Puerto Rican
or Virgin Islands rum
2 ounces dark Jamaican rum
2 ounces fresh lime juice
2 ounces orange juice
2 ounces white grapefruit juice
2 ounces passion fruit syrup
1 teaspoon honey mix 
(equal parts honey, water. Use your stovetop.
Splash of club soda
6 dashes Angostura bitters
Shake with plenty of ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Pour into a ceramic barrel mug -ladies get a cherry

Oops, just saw your edit

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-08-14 22:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-08-14 22:51 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 8 days ago; 09:24 am   Permalink

Yep, that's my go to Rum Barrel recipe. When I don't have white grapefruit I either use pineapple juice in it's place or cut back to 1 oz of fresh squeezed pink or red or it completely takes over. I'm sure several of these are in my not so distant future.

Hamo

Posted: Yesterday; 8:11 pm   Permalink

By chance last week at my local Safeway I found the store brand's white grapefruit juice, from concentrate in the plastic bottle. Not my first (or even third) choice, but I was shocked to see it on any shelf in my little Colorado mountain town that l snatched it up anyway. Yesterday I made 1934 Zombies for the first time and they were a big hit with everyone I served. The Hemingway is pretty tasty, too. For the rest of this week, I plan on working through a bunch of other recipes calling for grapefruit, in order to make a dent in the bottle before the quality degrades too much.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation