[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Ulithi Atoll Figure
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Ulithi Atoll Figure
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 10:10 am   Permalink

I have the opportunity to purchase this carved figure from Ulithi that came from the estate of a WWII serviceman. It's only 5"-6" tall & the asking price is $75.00. I'm not sure if it was carved by a native or a serviceman. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mahalo,
Rick

Dumbass! I forgot the pic!

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-04-22 12:22 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 1:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Hmmm. Well the quality seems very good and probably native carved. These squatting figures are mostly used as guardians of the dead in canoe burials... However your figure from Ulithi can also be associated with fertility. (Note swollen breasts and Belly.)

Get a copy of
Arts and Crafts of Micronesia by Barbara Wavell

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toddy

Posted: 2012-04-24 10:42 am   Permalink

Hello. I was stationed at Ulithi, Pontangeras Island, in 1946-47. I have two of the figures and I know for sure that mine were made by the natives there. They have held up well over the years, but the black coloring in one eye had rubbed off a bit. I touched it up with a felt tip marker and it's fine now. I'd say that the figure in your photo was definitely carved by a native. They were really great people and I shall never for get them.

View Profile of Toddy Send a personal message to Toddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 3:13 pm   Permalink

That's a photo I would like to see...Toddy and the two carvings....65 years after getting them in person....and to Mr. Toddy...Thank You For Your Service !!

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 3:42 pm   Permalink

I wish I could contribute to this historically but years ago I found a bunch of similar tourist carvings like this and have been trying to match the style to the location, thanks for pinpointing them.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 5:28 pm   Permalink

OK, obviously, I need to negotiate a deal for this little gal.
Sven, any info?
Toddy, I too would like to thank you for your service.

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-05-10 19:25 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-10 12:35 pm   Permalink

Here she is, in her new home.:

Edited for gender correction!

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-05-10 19:27 ]

hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-10 7:17 pm   Permalink

She looks of rich wood and nice color ...and looks like she is sitting in the perfect spot ...and you only had to trade some small wrinkled green pieces of paper for it !!!!

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-10 7:24 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Tom, apparently "he"s a she. I thought it appropriate that she reside on my WWII tribute shelf. Looks right at home, doesn't she?

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 12:22 pm   Permalink

Rick this is the ugliest statue I have ever seen

I am glad its in your collection and not mine - lol

I never would of bought it in a million years had I seen it in some antique store or thrift...you should make it the mascot of your bar

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 3:09 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry you feel that way, cuz I named her Liz!

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-12 15:09, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm sorry you feel that way, cuz I named her Liz!

hahaha love you too jerkface!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 4:14 pm   Permalink

It is certainly primitive I’d like to see the original version of the tiki. I suppose I have the “Coco Joes” versions of this that are a little more stylized and less “Lizlike”, hee.

Here are a 6 inch pair that are anatomically correct

and a smaller pair

and an even smaller pair

they even were made into letter openers.

And the 18 inch deluxe model.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 5:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-12 16:14, naugatiki wrote:
I suppose I have the “Coco Joes” versions of this that are a little more stylized and less “Lizlike”, hee.

that settles it..I will make this image my next tattoo!

hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 9:52 pm   Permalink

***** !!! WARNING !!! ***** To B.K. and S.D. These Guys Will Grow On You...Use Caution !!! They are rumored to run in pairs, the male and female... but a little harder to find that are a matching set. Still harder to find is the Big Dog...The 18 Incher...A wide berth and alot of respect when near this fellow. All hail Naugatiki, he wins this round !

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation