FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food do tiki drinks taste better in tiki mugs?
do tiki drinks taste better in tiki mugs?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-23 9:38 pm   Permalink

I say-- yes!!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-23 10:19 pm   Permalink

I say No...

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

There is no substitute for a proper double Old-Fashioned glass or a Collins glass for a well-mixed Tropical cocktail.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 07:12 am   Permalink

Nah, they taste the same.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 09:49 am   Permalink

Yes.

Any drink served in a obscure tiki mug bought off of ebay for an absurd amount of money will taste better.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-24 2:03 pm   Permalink

Really . . . only on my Birthday. It is my singular tradition to break out my 1967 mug from the Kowloon in Saugus, Mass. where I celebrated my 21st birthday - and kept the mug . . . to this day. That drink, whatever I decide to make, brings back the memory. . . and tastes very special! Birthday not withstanding, Tiki drinks taste great in whatever drinking vessel you decide to put them in . . . it's in the very nature of the drink!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 5:52 pm   Permalink

I like drinking out of the tiki mugs, because it's a totally different tactile experience. The details of the sculpt under your fingers, the feel of the finish, and the way the different parts of the mug get cold from the ice inside. It's a lot like the way a well mixed drink has a complexity of flavors, so does a cool mug have a varied feel.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 5:59 pm   Permalink

But a well mixed drink also has a complexity of COLOR. You lose that experience with a mug.

I like to SEE my drink.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 6:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-24 17:59, JOHN-O wrote:
But a well mixed drink also has a complexity of COLOR. You lose that experience with a mug.

I like to SEE my drink.

But...a LOT of Tiki drinks are opaque and somewhere along the "brown" spectrum. And Tiki bars tend to be very dimly lit.

That said, I'm on the side of Tiki glassware over Tiki mugs. (Mostly.)

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 6:49 pm   Permalink

I like drinkin' cocktails rather than lookin' at 'em. A drink stays colder in a ceramic tiki mug longer than in glassware. Not that I leave a drink lingerin' around to wallow in ice.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-24 7:59 pm   Permalink

John, if you get a mug with a white glaze on the inside you can still enjoy the color complexity.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 8:43 pm   Permalink

If it tastes good, I like it regardless of what it's served in.

If if's lousy, I dislike it regardless of what it's served in.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 2:09 pm   Permalink

I actually like using my tiki mug for water

The ceramic makes it taste cool and fresh - I have skull monkey limited edition - he is awesome - although i bust him out every once in awhile for a cocktail

I have to agree cocktails taste better to me in a proper bar glass double old fashion generally or collins glass

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 7:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-24 17:59, JOHN-O wrote:

I like to SEE my drink.

I agree with John...

however...

nostalgia can trump everything.

When I have the time, I use my mugs and make a great garnish for the eyes.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-06 12:17 pm   Permalink

Do they 'taste better'? Probably not. Do they LOOK better? YES!
I am a bartender and there are some drinks that look good in a clear glass. But, remember, the drink it to be consumed-- it only looks good for a short amount of time. The most fun to have with a tiki drink is all the garnish you can do! Umbrellas, fruit, swizzle sticks...the list goes on!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-06 12:29 pm   Permalink

I am happy to drink out of any vessel...a mug in a dark bar or a friend's bar is a sensual experience indeed. I do agree that looking at a drink in a clear glass is best though, and that visual enhances the flavor for me due to anticipation. I like seeing the colors of the liquids mingling together with the ices cubes and playing around with the garnishes. Or for drinks without ice cubes, the vision of how the liquid moves around in the glass is enticing. I serve cocktails in clear glass at my home. I am hoping to find some nice clear bowls for my lounge.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation